Gazetteer of the State of Maine, 1882 page 382
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney

BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from

382    GAZETTEER    OF    MAINE.

Nequasset,—a railroad station in Woolwich, Lincoln County.

Newlburg- lies on the southern border of Penobscot County,
15 miles west-south-west of Bangor.’ Carmel bounds it on the north,
Hampden on the east, Dixmont on the west, and Winterport and
Monroe in Waldo County on the south. The surface of the town is
broken and hilly in parts, with some meadow. The soil is various,
being clay in some portions and sandy or slaty in others. The prin-
cipal crops are hay and potatoes. Apple orchards have also been
cultivated with success. The forest-trees are chiefly beech, maple,
hemlock and spruce.

The town is drained by tbe Soadabscook and its tributary streams.
There are two saw-mills, two cheese factories, a carriage factory, etc.
The occupation is chiefly agricultural, and much attention is given to
cattle raising. The nearest railroad connections are at the stations of
the Maine Central Railroad in Carmel and Hermon, adjoining towns.
The post-offices are Newburg, at the north-east corner, North, Centre,
South, and Newburg villages.

This town is embraced within the limits of the Waldo patent, and
was sold by Gen. Henry Knox (who inherited much of the patent) to
Benjamin Bussey, who continued to be the owner of all the unoccupied
land until his death. He held the land at so high a price that settlers
came in slowly; but after his demise more favorable terms were offered
and the settlement since then has a rapid growth. Among the original
inhabitants we have the names of Freeman Luce, Edward Snow, Levi
Mudgett, James Morrison, Abel Hardy, Thomas Morrill, Ezekiel Smith,
George Bickford and Daniel Piper, who arrived about the year 1794.

The Free Baptists, Methodists, Baptists and Christian Baptists
have societies in the town, and there is a Union edifice for religious

Newburg usually sustains three high schools at different quarters of
the town during the fall and winter months. The number of public
schoolhouses is ten ; and the value of the school property is estimated
at $2,500. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $237,964. In 1880 it
was $275,102. The rate of taxation in the latter year was $18.60 on
one thousand. The population in 1870 was 1,115. In 1880 it was 1,057.

NOW CaSCO,—a post-office in Falmouth, Cumberland County.

Newcastle, is situated near the middle of Lincoln county,
on the peninsula between the Sheepscot and Damariscotta rivers.
Jefferson lies on tbe north, Nobleboro’, Damariscotta and Bristol, on
the east, Edgecomb on the south, and Aina and Wiscasset on the west.
The principal streams within the town are Dyer’s River and Great
Meadow Brook. The town is about six miles in length and four in
breadth. The surface is varied more by gulleys than by hills. There is a
variety of soils,—generally well adapted to the usual crops,—of which
hay is the chief. An expansion of Sheepscot River where it receives the
waters of the two streams mentioned, forms “Old Sheepscot Neck”
and contains an island of many acres in extent.

A remarkable object of the town are the oyster beds on the northern
shore of a peninsula in Damariscotta River, a short distance above the


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2