Gazetteer of the State of Maine, 1882 page 400
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney

BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from

400    GAZETTEER    OF    MAINE.

Northfield wrns incorporated March 21, 1838. It was originally
No. 24 in Bingham’s Penobscot purchase. The town sent 22 men into
the army of the Union in the war of the rebellion,—of whom 9 were
lost. Three of its inhabitants are above 80 years of age. The neigh-
borhood library here contains 117 volumes. There is a Methodist
society in the town, and the Congregationalists have a church edifice.
The number of public schoolhouses is 3,—valued, with land, at $600.
The population in 1870 was 190. In 1880 it was 161. The valuation
in 1870 was $52,947. In 1880 it was $33,311. The rate of taxation in
the latter year was 3f per cent.

North Haven, in Knox county, is situated at the entrance
of Penobscot Bay, 12 miles east of Rockland. In consists of an island
about 8 miles long and from 4 to 5 wide. The town was formerly a
part of Vinalhaven, from which it is separated by a strait, or thorough-
fare, about 1 mile in width. It is the north Fox Island, and was
incorporated by the name of Fox Island m 1846. The name was changed
to the present one in 1847.

Thomas Pond, the only considerable sheet of fresh 'water, is 1 mile
long and 1|- mile wide. There is one saw mill carried by tide power.
The hills are Mount Nebo and Pigeon Hill, each having a height of
about 700 feet. The surface of the town is not greatly varied in
elevation. The soil is gravelly. The bed rock is of a black color.
Fishing and farming are the principal occupations. Waterman’s Iron
Spring on this island has some celebrity. There are four small villages
and one post-office. E. P. Mayo of the Somerset Reporter is a native here.

The Baptists have the only church edifice on the island. The town
has a library of 200 volumes. The number of public schools is 6, and
the school property is valued at $2,500. The valuation of estates
in 1870 was $152,594. In 1880, it was $151,652. The rate of taxation
in the latter year was 2 and 1 tenth cents on the dollar. The popu-
lation in 1870 was 806. In 1880 it was 755.

Northport, in Waldo County, lies on the west side of Pen-
obscot Bay, and adjoins Belfast on the south. Lincolnville bounds it
on the south-west, and a portion of Belmont, is in contact with it on
the north-west. The town projects somewhat more than its neighbors
into the bay, and its eastern part, therefore, enjoys more of the cool
sea-breezes. There are 9 miles of sea-coast, and the width of the town
is about 4 miles. There are many hills,—Temperance, Nudgett’s,
Bird’s, etc. Mount Percival, with two peaks 400 and 600 feet in
height respectively, affords fine views of the bay. Spruce Head, pro-
jecting into the bay on the south, is a noticeable point from passing
vessels. There are 3 small villages, all on the coast. Brown’s Corner
occupies a cove near the northern line of the town, and Saturday
Cove is a pleasant little village in the more southern part. It has
its name from the landing here on Saturday, it is said, of a com-
pany of the early settlers of Belfast. Wesleyan Camp Ground is
a picturesque collection of summer cottages in a pretty grove on
a projecting portion of the shore, about half a mile south of Brown’s
Corner. Formerly the people who met here in their annual camp
meetings lived in canvas tents, but gradually they began to build cot-


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2