Gazetteer of the State of Maine, 1882 page 454
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney

BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from

454    GAZETTEER    OF    MAINE.

their lands by purchase. They have now in addition to the dwelling,
houses they have occupied for a half century, a new stone-house
three or more stories in height. It contains one or two large central
halls, together with a large number of lodging and living rooms. It
was begun before the war, and when finished will have cost about
$20,000. Beside this, they have land and other property to the value
of about $30,000.



The earliest settlers were Nathaniel Bailey, Daniel Lane, Moses
Emery, and John Newman, who settled at what has long been known
as “The Empire” in 1768-1769. The Pulsifer family is a leading
one of the town, having located here in the person of their ancestor,
David Pulsifer, in 1790. The family has furnished several esteemed
public men. John Nevins, who claimed to have cut the first tree felled
in Poland, died in 1832, being above 100 years of age; other names
are Josiah Dunn, “Captain ” Davis, John Rollins, “ Captain” Farring-
ton, Henry Bray, Benjamin Coombs and Mrs. Woodard. The land
titles are from the proprietors of Bakerton (see Auburn). The town
is thought to have been named for Poland, a noted Indian chief of
the region. It was incorporated in 1795. A portion was set off to
Danville in 1852.

The total amount paid out by the town for its expenses in the war
of the Rebellion is $45,230, and the total number of men for which it
received credit, 304.

The religious societies of the town are the Congregationalists, Uni-
versalists, Free Baptists, and Adventists. Poland has twenty-two
public schoolhouses, valued at $16,775. The valuation of estates in
1870 was $765,960. The population at the same date was 2,436. In
1880, it was 2,443. The valuation in 1880 was $920,057.

Poor’s Mills, a village in Belfast, Waldo County.
Portage Lake Plantation lies near the average

centre of Aroostook, being No. 13 in the Sixth Range of townships.
It is 75 miles north by north-west of Houlton, via Ashland. It is on
the stage-line from the latter town to Fort Kent. This plantation was
organized in 1872 ; receiving its name from the sheet of water that
occupies a large portion of the centre of the town. The “ portage is
between this and Lake Machias, in Nashville Plantation. A tract on
the western side of the northern portion of this lake was granted to
the Maine Female Seminary, and a tract further southward to the
Somerset Academy. The population is principally along the eastern
side of the lake. The plantation has one schoolhouse, and the school
property is valued at $500. The population in 1870 was 124. In 1880
it was 132. The valuation in 1880 was $23,018.

Port Clyde, a post-ofiioe in St. George, Knox County.

Porter is the south-western town of Oxford County. Hiram
bounds it on the east, Brownfield on the north, Parsonfield in York


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2