Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney
BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from
obscot. The other village is East Winn, situated on the west branch
of the Mattakeunk, in the southern part of the town.
There are Episcopal, Roman Catholic and Methodist churches here.
Winn has four public schoolhouses; and the school propertv is valued
at $1,500. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $95,708. In 1880 it
was $103,304. The population in 1870 was 714. In 1880 it was 898.
a post-office in Phipsburg, Sagadahoc
Winslow, in Kennebec Countv, is situated upon the eastern
side of the Kennebec River, opposite Waterville. It is bounded on
the east by Albion, on the north by Benton, and on the south by China
and \ assalboro. Pattee Pond, near the centre of the town, is the
principal body of water. Sebasticook River runs south-westward to
the Kennebec across the south-west corner of the town, The stream
which forms the outlet of China Lake enters .the Sebasticook near
Winslow village, half a mile below Ticonic Falls, on the Kennebec.
This village is small; but it is well shaded by trees, and has much
natural beauty. The eastern trunk line of the Maine Central Railway
passes through this village, crossing the river to Waterville, a short
distance above. The manufactories of Winslow consist of a small
woollen-mill, two grist-mills, two saw-mills, and a shoe-peg factory.
The principal rock in town is slate. The soil of the parts bordering
on the river is a sandy loam; farther back, it is slaty and gravelly.
The chief employment of the people is agricultural, and the principal
crops are hay and potatoes. The usual forest trees are found in the
■woods, while on the public ways there are many elms and maples,
some of which are very old. Reynolds Hill is said to be the highest
elevation in town, affording fine views of the Kennebec and a wide
expanse of landscape.
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2