ALBANY COUNTY. 165
and Onisketliail (locally known as “ Tarry town”) are hamlets. Teunis Slingerland, from
Holland, was the first settler on the Oniskethau flats. He purchased 9874 acres, and built a dwelling
near the center of the tract, and erected the first mills.1 The first church (Ref. Prot. D.) waa
organized at New Salem about 1786.2
REASSERAERYIERE—named from the Yan Rensselaer family—was formed from Water¬
vliet, March 8, 1790. Bern was taken off in 1795, and ajjart of Westerlo in 1815. It is the s.w.
corner towx^ of the county. Its surface is mostly upland, broken by parallel ridges extending n.
and s. and rising 400 to 600 feet above the valleys. The principal streams are Catskill Creek and
its tributaries, Scrub, Pox, Ten Mile, and Eight Mile Creeks, and Willow Brook. The valleys
of these streams are narrow, and are bordered by steep hill sides, and the streams'are rapid,
and subject to sudden and destructive freshets. Upon Ten Mile Creek, near Rensselaerville, is a
fall of 100 feet; and upon Willow Brook is another of 40 feet. Bog iron has been found in the e.
part. There is a sulphur spring 2J miles n. e. of Preston Hollow. The soil is clay and gravel,
underlaid by hard’pan. Rensselaerville3 (p. v.) contains an academy.4 Pop. 561. Will-
iamsburgll, on the w. border of the town, contains 18houses; Preston Hollow5 (p.v.)
40; and Medusa6 (p.v.) 30; Potters Hollow7 and Cooksburg8 are post-offices.9
The town was mostly settled by emigrants from New England goon after the Revolution. Michael
Brandt, a German from Schoharie, lived ih town during the war.10 Daniel Shay, the leader of the
revolt known as Shay’s Rebellion, moved to this town in 1795. Maj. John Edmonds, a Revo¬
lutionary officer, was also a settler in this town. The first church (Presb.) was formed in Nov.
1793, and the edifice erected in 1796.11 Rev. Samuel Puller was the first pastor.
'WATERVLIET—was formed March 7, 1788, and included the w. district of the manor
of Rensselaerwyck.12 Rensselaerville was taken off in 1790, Coeymans in 1791, Bethlehem in
1793, Guilderland in 1803, and Niskayuna in 1809.13 It lies at the junction of the Hudson and
Mohawk, in the n.e. corner of the county. Its surface is mostly an upland, 200 to 300 feet above
the river. The declivities of this upland are broken by numerous gulleys worn by the small
streams. A fine intervale, nearly half a mile in width, extends along the Hudson. At Cohoes, on
the Mohawk, the river flows over a rocky declivity 78 feet in height, of which 40 feet is perpen¬
dicular.14 The banks, both above and below the falls, are high and precipitous. The Erie Canal
rises, by a series of 18 locks, from the Hudson, through the village of Cohoes, to the most northerly
angle of the town 3 mi. above, and 188 feet above tide. At this point it crosses the river into Sara¬
toga co., in a stone aqueduct 1137! feet long, 26 feet high, and resting upon 26 piers. The soil is a
deep, rich alluvial upon the river intervale, and a light, sandy loam upon the upland. Sulphur
and chalybeate springs, and bog iron ore, are found in town. The quarries of graywacke furnish
an excellent flagging and building stone. This is the most populous town in the State. West
Troy, (p.v.,) incorp. April 30, 1836, is a commercial and manufacturing village opposite the city
of Troy. Pop. 8306. It is especially noted for the extent of its lumber trade, and for being the seat15
,oog time eluded the vigilance of those who were searching for
him. At length he was tracked to his hiding place, and the
existence of the cavity was made known.
1 Among the other first settlers were William Pangburn and
Wm. Vanattan at StoneyHill; Ebenezer Wands, John Watt,
Geo. Swan, and Wm. Kirkland, Scotch emigrants, near New
Scotland; and Geo. Reed, John Patterson, Sami. Ramsey and
sons, James McMullin, David Allen, Wm. McCulloch, and-
Brandt in otherparts of the town, also Tunis Houghtaling.
2 There are in town 8 churches; 4 Ref. Prot. D., 3 M. E., Presb.
The Eriends organized a meeting in 1812.
3 Samuel Jenkins, the first settler, located here February 22,
1788. * Opened Jan. 17, 1847.
6 Named from the family of first settlers, who came in soon
after the Revolution.
6 Formerly called “ Halls Mills,” or “ Halls Hollow”
1 Named from Sami. Potter, who, with his sons and brothers,
were first settlers.
3 Named from Thomas B. Cook, who purchased land here in
anticipation of business from the Catskill and Canajoharie R. R.,
which was completed to this place from the Hudson. The road
waB run two years, when the rails were taken up.
9 Upon the farm of Ezra Lester, in a place known as Willow
Glen, formerly stood a village, known as “Peckham Hollow”
consisting of 2 stores, 2 smith’s shops, and 14 houses. For a
time it was a rival of Rensselaerville; but now not a vestige
of it remains.
1° At the time of the Indian incursion into Bern, Mr. B. had
gone to Catskill Landing, leaving his family alone. On their
return, the savages passed close by with their scalps, prisoners,
and plunder, but offered no molestation.
u A Bap. church was formed at Rensselaerville in 1797; Rev.
Truman Beman was the first pastor. A Bap. church was
formed at Preston Hollow in 1800; a Friends meeting at Potters
Hollow in 1808; and Trinity Church (P. E.) was organized in
1816. There are besides, in town, 2 M. E. churches.
12 The manor was divided into the East and West Districts,
March 5, 1779, the river being the separating bounds. .This
district, as defined by act of March 24, 1772, embraced all
that part of the manor north of an e. and w. line from Reeren
Island north to Cumberland co., except the city of Albany.
13 It includes the former village of “ Gibbonsville,” (incorp.
April 23,1823,) and places known as Washington” and “Port
u The cascade is in full view from the R. R. bridge, a few rods
below Cohoes. The Champlain. Canal crosses the Mohawk a
short distance below, in a pond formed b! a dam 1650 feet long
and 7 feet high, and unites with the Erie Canal 2 mi. s. of this
15 The arsenal grounds occupy about 100 acres, located be¬
tween the Troy and Albany turnpike and the Erie Canal, the
latter furnishing water-power for the machinery of the arsenal.
The grounds are inclosed by a high wall, excepting the part be¬
tween the river and the turnpike. This is the principal govern¬
ment manufactory of gun carriages, machines, equipments,
ammunition, and military supplies for the troops and forts of
the United States. The building of this establishment was
begun in 1814, under Col. Geo. Bomford, of the Ordnance de¬
partment, and it was for many years under the charge of Maj.
Jas. Dalliba. The Watervliet Arsenal now consists of more
than thirty buildings, of brick and stone, mostly large sliops
and storehouses,—the former of which will accommodate, in
case of need, more than 500 workmen. The stores deposited
here exceed $1,500,000 in value. A company of soldiers of the