170 ALLEGANY COUNTY.
1807, by Clark Crandall, from Rensselaer co.1 The first church (Seventh Day Bap.) was formed
in 1816. There are now 2 churches in town; both Seventh Day Bap.
ALLEli—was formed from Angelica, Jan. 31, 1823. A part of Birdsall was taken off in
1829. It is an interior town, situated' north of the center of the co. Its surface is a hilly
upland, divided into ridges by the valleys of the streams. The highest summits are 500 to 700
feet above the valleys. The principal streams are Wigwam, Plum, and Bakers Creeks. The soil
upon the uplands is clay underlaid by hardpan, and in the valleys a gravelly loam and alluvium.
Allen, (p.o.,) in the e. part, and Allen Center (p. o.J are hamlets. There are no stores,
taverns, doctors, or lawyers in the town. A few small settlements were made about the com¬
mencement of the century, but the principal settlements were made subsequent to 1820.2 The
first religious services were conducted by Rev. Robert Hubbard (Presb.,) in 1821; and the first
church (Presb.) was’ formed in 1830.2
AYMA—was formed from Willing, Nov. 23, 1854. It is the central town on the s. border
of the co. The surface is broken and mountainous. Honeoye Creek and its branches, flowing
in deep, narrow ravines, form the drainage. The greater part of the surface is yet covered
with forests. The soil upon the uplands is a clayey and sandy loam, and in the valleys a gravelly
loam and alluvium. Lumbering is the principal pursuit; and large quantities of pine lumber are
annually manufactured. Alma, (p. v.,) in the w. part of the town, contains a -steam sawmill
and 15 houses. The first settlement was made in 1833, by Warren Huff, from Quebec, Canada.3
The first religious services were performed by Rev. Reuben Kent, in 1838; and the first and only
religious association (M. E.) in town was formed in 1850. There is no church edifice in town.
ALMOAD—was formed from Alfred, March 16, 1821. A part of Birdsall was taken off in
1829, .and a part of West Almond in 1835. It lies upon the e. border of the co., a little n. of tho
center. Its surface is mostly an upland, separated into several distinct ridges by the deep valleys
of Canisteo River and the Karr Yalley, McHenry Yalley, and Whitney Valley Creeks. The
highest summits are 500 to 800 ft. above the valleys. The soil is a gravelly and clay loam. Quar¬
ries of good building stone, and sulphur springs, are found in various localities. Almoiid,
(p. v.,) near the E. line, contains 2 churches, 2 flouring mills, several manufactories, and about
1,000 inhabitants. Center Almond, in Karr Yalley, and Yortli Almond are p. offices
The first settlement was made at Karr Yalley, by Rev. Andrew Gray, Wm. Gray, Jos. Rathbun,
and Yandemark, all from Penn., in the spring of 1796.6 The first religious meeting was
held at Karr Yalley, by Rev. Andrew Gray, (Presb.,) in his own house, May 1, 1797; and the
first church was formed, the same year, by Mr. Gray.6
AMITY—was formed from Angelica and Scio, Feb. 22, 1830. A part of Ward was .taken
off in 1856. It is an interior town, lying a little s. of the center of the co. The surface is hilly
and broken, the summits rising 500 to 800 feet above the valleys. Genesee River flows n. w.
through the w. part and receives as tributaries Van Campens and Philips Creeks. The valleys
of these streams are narrow and are bordered by steep hillsides. The soil is principally a clayey
and sandy loam. . Pkilipsville, (p.v.,) on the Genesee, was incorp. Feb. 21, 1853. It con¬
tains 3 churches, 2 sawmills, a flouring mill, and about 1,000 inhabitants. It is a station upon the
rail road. Beividere, (p. v.,) on the Genesee, at the mouth of Yan Campens Creek, in the
N. w. corner of the town, contains 3 sawmills and 181 inhabitants. It is also a rail road station.
The first settlement was made in 1804, near Beividere, by John T. Hyde.4 The first religious
Matthew McHenry, Jos. Coleman, and Geo. Lockhart, all from
Luzerne co., Penn., settled in the town in 1797. The first child
born was Wm. McHenry, in 1799; the first marriage, that of
Peter Putnam and Polly Waters, in 1804; and the first death,
that of Matthew McHenry, in 1801. The first school was taught
at Karr Valley, by Jos. A. Rathbun, in Dec. 1802. Benj. Van
Campen kept the first inn, at Karr Valley, in 1S05; and Phineas
Stevens built the first sawmill, in 1806, at Almond Village, and
Asa Clark the first gristmill, in 1818.
6 The census reports 3 churches; Presb., Bap., and Wes.
1 Harry Davis, from Hampshire co., Mass., settled near Philips-
ville in 1805. The first child born was Hannah Hyde, Nov. 4,
1804; the first marriage, that of Loammi Astliley and Rachel
Baker, in 1807; and the first death, that of Harvey-Manning, in
1806. Polly Baker taught the first school, in 1810; Ebenezer
Hyde kept the first inn, at Beividere, in 1809; Alvin E. Parker
the first store, at Philipsville, in 1830; and Philip Church built
the first sawmill, on Genesee River, in 1806, and the first grist¬
mill, in 1808. ‘
Nathan Green, from Madison co., settled at Bakers Bridge in
1807. The first child horn was Rebecca Stillman, in 1808; the
first marriage, that of Luke Maxson and Susan Green; and the
first death, that of Chas. H. Clark, who accidentally shot him¬
self. Nancy Teater taught the first school, in 1815; John Teater
kept the first inn, in 1818; and E. S. Davis built the first saw¬
mill, in 1821, and the first gristmill, in 1824.
8 The census reports 3 churches; Cong., Bap., and M. E.
* The first child born was Emeline, daughter of Azor Hurl-
store, in 1844; and John W. Post erected the first sawmill, in