CATTARAUGUS COUNTY. 189
from Maes., on Lot 22, in 1820.1 The first religious meeting (Cong.) was held in 1823, by-Rev.
Wm. J. Wilcox.
COMEWAIGO—was formed from Little Yalley, Jan. 20, 1823. Randolph was taken off
in 1826, and Leon in 1832. It lies upon the w. border of the co., s. of the center. The surface in
the s. w. and w. parts is level and swampy, the Connewango Swamp being 30 to 50 feet below the
bed of Allegany River at its nearest point. The remaining parts are hilly. It is drained s. by
Connewango, Little Connewango, and Clear Creeks, and other small streams. The soil on’ the
uplands is clay and gravel, and on the fiats a gravelly loam. Rutledge, (Connewango p. o.,)1
in the N. w, part, on Connewango Creek, contains a church and 17 dwellings. Clear Creek,
(p v.) is on the line of Chautauqua co. Axville is a hamlet. Settlement was commenced in 1816,
by Eliph. Eollet, near Rutledge.2 The first church (Presb.) was organized at Rutledge, in 1816.3
DAYTOSf—was formed from Perrysburgh, Feb. 7, 1835. It lies upon tlie w. border of the
co., n. of the center. Its surface is generally a rolling and hilly upland. The highest elevations
in the n. part are about 300 feet above the r. r. at Dayton Station. It is drained s. by two branches
of Connewango Creek and other small streams. The soil is a clayey and gravelly loam. Lumber¬
ing is an important branch of industry. Uaytoil, (p.v.,) on the N. Y. & E. R. R., in the N. e.
corner of the town, contains 13 dwellings; and West EBay ton, (Cottage p.o.,) in the n. w.
corner, a church, 2 sawmills, and 14 dwellings. Sociality is a hamlet, in the s. e. part. The
first settlement was made by Silas Nash and Simeon Bunce, from Otsego co., in 1810.4 The first
religious meeting (Bap.) was held at the house of Joshua Webb, in 1816, by Rev. Elnathan Finch;
and the first church (Bap.) was organized in March, 1818, at the house of Mr, Webb.5
EAST OTTO—was formed from Otto, Nov. 30, 1854. It lies upon the' n. border of the co.,
w. of the center. The surface is hilly and broken; Mt. Tug, the highest summit, being 300 feet
above the valleys. Cattaraugus Creek forms the n. boundary; and South Middle Branch flows w.
through the town, s. of the center. The soil is a clay and gravelly loam, favorable for both grain
and grass. ©It© Corners, (East Otto p.o.,) a little s. w. from the center, contains 3 churches
and 17 dwellings. The first settlements were made by Joseph Bates, on Lot 20, and Horace Wells,
near Otto Corners, about 1816.5 The first religious meetings were held at the house of Tyler M.
Beach, in 1821. The first preaching (M. E.) was at the same house, by Rev. Ira Brownson, in 1822.6
ERR1COTTVIEJLE7—was formed from “Ischua,” now Eranklinville, April 13, 1820. Ash¬
ford was taken off in 1824. It is an interior town, lying a little n.e. of the center of the co. The
surface is a hilly upland, broken by the deep and narrow ravines of the streams. The principal
stream is Great Yalley Creek, flowing s. through near the center. The soil upon the hills is a clay
loam, and in the valleys a gravelly loam. Ellicottville, (p. v.,) on the creek, in the s. w. part
of the town, was incorp. April 1, 1837. Besides the co. buildings, it contains 4 churches, 3 news¬
paper offices, and an iron foundery. .Pop. 695. Plat© and A®Jl Park are p. offices. The
first settlements were made in 1815, by David Waldo, from Oneida co., and Orin Pitcher, from
Mass.8 The first religious meeting was held at the house of Wm. Vinton, by Rev. John Spencer,
tn 1818. The first church (Presb.) was formed Sept. 10, 1822.9
Dayton, and Wm. H. Leland, the first store in 1833, in the s.®.
part of the town. Silas Nash erected the first sawmill, in 1817,
at West Dayton.
5 The census reports 3 churches; Bap., P. W. Bap., and M. E.
0 Soon after, Moses T. and Tyler M. Beach, Justice Bartholo¬
mew, Abraham Gibbs, and Sami. Tuttle settled in the town.
The first children born were Arzan and Brittaina,—twins,—son
and daughter of Justice Bartholomew; the first marriage was
that of Moses N. Leland and Brittaina Wells, in 1823; and the
first death of an adult, that of Mrs. John Darling, in Dec. 1824.
Ilezekiah Scovel kept the first inn, near Otto Corners, in 1823,
and Vine Plumb the first store, near the same place, in 1824.
Moses T. Beach built tho first sawmill, in 1823, and tlie first
gristmill, in 1824, on South Middle Branch, iu the e. part of the
7 The census reports 3 churches; M. E., Cong., and Bap.
8 Named from Joseph Eliicott, agent of the Holland Land Co.
9 Grove Hurlbut built tlie first house, in 1815, on Lot 57, and
settled in March, 1816. Rickartson Burlingame and Ephraim
Pitch settled in 1816. The first child born was Orlando P. Pit¬
cher, in June, 1816. The first school was taught by Eunico
Carpenter, at the house of Orin Pitcher, in the summer of 1817.
Baker Leonard kept the first inn, in 1817, and the first store, m
1818. Orin Pitcher erected the first sawmill, in 1821, on Great
10 The census reports 4 churches; Presb., Prot. E., M. E., and
Eastman Prescott and his father settled jn the s. part, and
Isaac Morrill in the N. w. part, in 1821. The first hirth was that
9f Martha, daughter of Charles Crook, jr., in the spring of 1824;
and the first death, that of Miss Jones, in tlie fall of 1821. Bliss
E. Sanford taught the first school, in the summer of 1831. Phi-
lenus Hall kept the first inn and the first store, in 1822. Chas.
Crook and Joshua Basson erected the first sawmill, in 1820, on
Cold Spring Creek..
Sampson Crooker, from Cairo, Greene co., settled near Rut¬
town;, in 1821. .Mrs. Crooker, wife of Sampson Crooker, killed a
John Darling about the same time. The first school was taught
by Olive Cheeney, in the summer of 1819. Eliphalet Follet kept
the first inn, in 1817, near Rutledge, and H. Camp and Wm.
Holbrook the first store, in 1822, at Olds Corners. The first-
sawmill was erected by Sampson Crooker, on Mill Creek, in 1819,
and the first gristmill by Calvin Treat, near the center of the
Wildcat at her hen roost with a pair of tongs, in the winter of
• The census reports 3 churches; Presb., Bap., and M. E.
* Joshua Webb, from Madison co., settled on tot 56, Leman H.
Pi teller, on Lot 58, in the s. w. part; Ralph Johnson, Ileman and
Anaon Merrill, .and Timothy M. Shaw in the N. E. part.—all in
1815. Tlie first child horn was Ames Nash, in June, 1811; the
first marriage, that of Benj. Parsell and Mary Redfieid, in March,
1S18; and the first death, that of De Witt, son of Silas Nash, in
Feb. 1812. Caleb Webb kept the first inn, in 1827, at West