204 CAYUGA COUNTY.
NIEES—was formed from Sempronius, March 20, 1833. It lies between Owasco and Skane¬
ateles Lakes, s. e. of the center of the co. Its surface is principally a rolling and hilly upland.
The highest summits are 700 ft. above Owasco Lake. The declivities are gradual toward Owasco
but more abrupt toward Skaneateles Lake. Dutch Hollow Brook, flowing n. through near the
c*enter, is bordered - by high, steep banks.1 The soil is a gravelly and clayey loam. Kel-
log'g'Syille, (p.V.,) in the extreme s. part, contains 2 churches and 30 dwellings; New
Hope, in the s._ e. part, contains a church, gristmill, sawmill, and 12 dwellings; Niles,
(p.o.,) in the n. part, West Niles, Twelve Corners, and Nine Corners, are ham
lets. The first settlements were made in 1793.2 There are 4 churches in town; 2 M. E., Bap.,
and Univ. ■ •
OWASCO—was formed from Aurelius, March 30, 1802. It lies e. of the foot of Owasco
Lake, s. e. of the center of the co. Its surface is rolling and inclined to the x. w. From the
lake it slopes gradually upward, and the highest summits attain an elevation of 500 ft. Owasco
Creek, flowing w. across the s. part,‘and Millers Brook, in the n. part, are the only streams. The
soil is a clayey loam. Owasco, (p. v.,) in the s> e. corner, contains 3 churches and 45 dwell¬
ings. The first settlements were made in 1792.3 The first church was formed in 1798, by Rev.
Abram Brokaw.3 Ex-Gov. Throop is a resident of this town.
SCSFIO —was formed March 5, 1794. Sempronius was taken off in 1799, a part of Marcellus
(Onondaga co.) in 1804, Ledyard, Venice, and a part of Springport in 1823. It lies on the w.
shore of Owasco Lake, s. of the center of the co. Its surface is rolling, the highest summits
being 500 ft. above the lake. A steep bluff, 20 to 50 ft. high, extends along the lake, and’ from
the summit the surface slopes gradually upward for about one mi. The streams are mere brooks.
The soil is a clayey loam. Scipio Center (Scipio p.o.) contains 2 churches and 80 inhabit¬
ants; Scipioville, (p.v.,) near the w. line, 80 inhabitants; Sherwood, (p.v*,) near the
s. w. corner,’ 80 inhabitants. Tfie Square is a p. o. in the n. w. part, and Bolts Corners
a hamlet in tbe s. The first settlements were made in 1790.5 The first' religious services were
held by Elder David Irish, in 1794 ; and the first church (Bap.) was formed the same year.4
SEMPRONIUS—was formed March 9, 1799. A part was annexed to Marcellus (Onondaga
co.) March 24, 1804, and Moravia and Niles March 20, 1833. It lies upon Skaneateles Lake, in
the s. e. part of the co. From the valley of the lake and inlet the hills rise abruptly to a
height of 800 to 1,000 feet, and from their summits the surface spreads out into a rolling and
hilly upland. The highest points are about 1,700 ft. above tide. Mill Brook, flowing w., Bear
Swamp Brook, n., and Fall Brook, s., all have excavated deep valleys in the drift deposits
and shales. The soil is a good quality of clayey, sandy and gravelly loam, mixed with disinte¬
grated slate and limestone. Bresserville, (p. v.,) located on Mill Brook, in the s. part
of the town, contains 30 dwellings; Yansville, (Sempronius p.o.,) 15; Glen Haven
(p. o.) is a noted water cure establishment near the head of Skaneateles Lake. Its situation is
extremely beautiful, and it is supplied with pure, soft spring water. The first settlement was
made in 1794, by Ezekiel Sales,7 Jotham Bassett, and Seth Burgess. The first church (Bap.)
was formed Feb. 29r 1798; Rev. John Lasure was the first preacher. The census reports 1
church (Bap.) in town. *
SENNETT—was formed from Brutus, March 19, 1827; it was named from Judge Daniel
Sennett, a pioneer settler. A portion of Throop was taken off in 1859. It lies upon the e. border
of the eo., n. of the center. Its surface is level or gently undulating, the ridges rising in long,
gradual slopes 50 to 100 ft. above the valleys. The streams are all small brooks. The soil is a
deep, fertile,, clayey and sandy loam, and is under a high state of cultivation. Sennett, (p. v.,)
a station on the Auburn branch of the N.Y. Central R. R., contains 3 churches and 30 dwellings.
The first settlement was made in 1794, by Ebenezer Healy, Jos. Atwell, Thos. Morley, and Thos.
kins, Gilbert and Alanson Tracy, Sam’l Branch, Ebenezer Witter,
and Gideon Allen. The first child born was Betsey Durkee, Dec.
5,1790; and the first marriage, that of Wm. Allen and Betsey
Watkins, June 25,1793. Wm. Daniels -taught the first school,
in 1798, and Dr. Strong kept the first store, in 1808.
• 8 There are 4 churches in town; Bap., Presb., M. E., and Univ.
1 The first child born was Benj. Sales, in 1794; the first mar¬
riage, that of Sam’l Rice and Matilda Summerston ; and the first
death, that of Sam’l Rice. Cyrus Powers taught the first school,
in 1800; John Husted kept the first inn and store, and Artemas
Dresser erected the first mill.
On the highest point of land, 3 mi. e. of Owasco Lake, is a
quarry of fine flagging stone.
Among the early settlers were Garret Conover and his sons
John and Aaron, Isaac Selover, James Brinkerhoff, and William
Bowen. The first child horn was Sally Amerman, in 1798.
There are 4 churches in town; M. E., Kef. Prot. D., and True
* Among the early settlers were Elisha Durkee, Henry Wat¬