by Mr. Smith until 1831. It was successively issued by
Brinton Paine, Cyrus Pratt, Pratt & Beardsley, Mason &
Bhodes, Geo. W. Mason, and Wm. C. Mason, until 1857,
when it passed intp the hands of S. C. Taber, by whom
it is still published.
The Elmira Republican was commenced in 1820, and in 1828 it
was changed to
The Elmira Whig, and published by James Durham. In 1829
it was changed again to
The Elmira Republican, and issued by C. Morgan. . It was soon
The Elmira Republican and Canal Advertiser. In 1831 it passed
into the hands of John Duffy, and its name was changed
The Elmira Republican. It was successively issued by Birdsall
& Huntley, Ransom & Birdsall, Polly & Carter, Polly
& Cook, Polly & Huntley, S. B. & G. C. Fairman, G. C.
Fairman, Fairman & Baldwin, Baldwin & Dumas, and
Calhoun, until 1857, when it was discontinued.
The Elmira Daily Republican was issued a short time in 1846.
The Daily Republican was issued from the Republican office
from the fall of 1851 to 1855.
TJie Elmira Advertiser was commenced in 1853 by
Fairman Brothers. In 1856 F. A. De Voe became in¬
terested in the publication, and the paper is still issued
by Fairman & De Voe.
Tlie Elmira Daily Advertiser was commenced
simultaneously with the weekly, and is still issued, by
the same publishers.
The Elmira Daily Democrat was issued a short-time in 1851 by
J. Taylor & S. C. Taber.
The Chemung Patriot was published in 1837 at Horseheads by
J. T. Bradt.
The Philosopher was commenced at Horseheads, April 7, 1855,
by Sam’l C. Taber, and was continued udtil 1857, when
it was merged in The Elmira Gazette.
Tlie Daily Press was commenced in 1856, by Dumas, Van
Gelder & Paine, its present publishers.
The Temperance Gem (mo.) was published at Elmira about 1850.
1 Louis Philippe, the Duke de Nemours, and the Duke de Berri,
visited Elmira in 1797, having traveled on foot to that place
from Canandaigua, a distance of 70 mi. They went down the
river to Harrisburgh upon an ark.
2 Named from Baldwin Creek, which received its name from
Isaac, Walter, and Thomas Baldwin, brothers, who settled at an
early period at the mouth of the creek. It was formerly called
Butlers Creek. They were attached to Gen. Sullivan’s expedi¬
tion against the Indians in 1778-79, and Walter was wounded
at the battle of Newtown.
3 The first child horn was Simeon Hammond, and the first
death was that of Thos. Wheeler, killed by the fall of a tree. The
first school was taught by Polly Blandin, a little N. of the village.
D. R. Harris kept the first inn, and Miles Covel the first store, n.
of the village.
4 In 1850, Sanford Elmore, from Conn., commenced the culti¬
vation of tobacco in this town, and it has since become a staple
product. In 1858 nearly 1000 acres were devoted to it, and 250
tons of the Conn. seed leaf were produced.
5 Caleb Gardner and Henry Starell, from Penn., settled on
the river below Miner in the same or the next year. Geo. Gard¬
ner settled at the village in 1788, Clark W'inans on the river
in 1789, and John Winters, Jesse and Joel Rowley, and Geo.
Gardner, jr., all from Penn., in 1790. The first birth was that
of Christian Miner, jr., in 1790; the first marriage, that of Wm,
Applegate and Catharine Miner; and the first death, that of T.
Dolson. Cornelius McGinnis taught the first school, near the
village; John Hay kept the first store, and Capt. Geo. Gardner
the first inn at the village. The first gristmiU was erected by
Robt. Miller, E, of the village.
6 The census reports 4 churches; Bap., F. W. Bap., Presb., and