Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 282
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


in the e. gently undulating. It is watered by the head waters of Cayuga and Eleven Mile Creeks.
The soil is a deep, fertile, sandy, gravelly, and clayey loam. AMeai, (p.v.,) a station on the B.
& N. Y. R. R., contains 2 churches and has a pop. of 285; Alden Center (p.v.) contains 1
church and 20 houses; and Mill Rrove, (p. v.,) in the
n. w. corner, 18 houses. Aiden
(Crittenden p. o.) and Wende are stations on the N. Y. 0. R. R. Settlement was commenced in
the spring of 1810, by Moses Fenno.1 Rev. John Spencer conducted the first religious services,
in 1811. The first church (Presb.) was organized in 1813-14. There are now 6 churches in town.2

’ AMHERST3—was formed from Buffalo, April 10, 1818; and Chicktowaga was taken off in
1839. It lies upon the
n. border of tbe co., between Clarence and Tonawanda. Its surface is
level. Eleven Mile and Ransoms Creeks flow across the town in a n.
e. direction; and Tona-
wanda Creek forms its sr. boundary. The soil is a sandy and clayey loam. Upon tbe land of
John Foglesonger, in the s. part of the town, is a very copious sulphur spring. A gristmill with
3 run of stone has been built on the stream formed by it. A ledge of limestone extends across
the s. part of the town, from which limestone is quarried in various places. Beneath this ledge i3
a layer of hydraulic limestone, which is extensively quarried at Williamsville and burned for
waterlime. Williamsvilie/ (p. v.,) incorp. in 1850, is situated on Eleven Mile Creek, in
the s. part of the town. It contains 4 churches, an academy,5 and several manufactories.6 Pop.

In 1854 Rann & Cowan became proprietors, and tbe
same year it was united with The Democracy.

The Western Evangelist (Univ.) was started in June, 1846, hy
Rev. L. S. Everett, and continued 1 year.

The Ambassador, (Univ.,) started the same year, was removed
to Auburn in 1847.

The Journal of Commerce, d., was started in 1847 by John W.
Jones, and continued 6 months.

The Republic, d. and w., was started hy Livingston, Albro &
Co., Jan. 26,1847. Quartus Graves, Maynard
& Welsh,

C. A. Kellogg, and C. C. Bristol were successively Inte¬
rested in its management. In 1857 The Buffalo Daily
Times was united with The Republic, and it was issued as

Tire Buffalo Republic and Times, d., tri-w., and
w. Quy. H. Salisbury is the present proprietor. A
campaign paper was published in connection with this
paper in 1856.

The Buffalo Daily Times was started in Aug. 1857, by the Times
Association; and the next year it was united with The

Der Freie Demokrat was published in 1848.

The Wool Grower and Magazine of Agriculture and Hor ticulture,
mo., was started in 1849 hy T. C. Deters, and continued
until 1852.

The Daily Queen City, a penny paper, was started in 1850 by G.
J. Bryan. The title was changed in 1852 to

Tire Buffalo Evening Post, under which name it is
now published.

The Buffalo Christian Advocate was started in Jan. 1850, by
John E. Robie. In 1857 it was changed to

Tire Advocate, under which name it is now published.

Common Sense was published in 1850 hy D. P. Stile.

Die Aurora, w. and semi-w., was started in 1850 by Chris¬
tian Wieckmann, its present publisher.

Has Kirclilicbe Informatorium, semi-mo., was
started in July, 1851, by Conrad Bar; and in 1854 T.
Andr. A. Grabau, its present editor, assumed its charge.

The Sunday Bulletin was started in 1851 by Wm. F. Rodgers,
and continued 9 months.

Tlie Youth’s Casket, mo., was started in 1851 by Beadle
& Vanderzee. It is now published by Robt. Adams.

The American Miller was published in 1851 by Wm. C. Hughes.

The Evangelical Christian was published in 1851 by Geo. Stanbro
& Co.

The American Celt and Catholic Citizen was brought from Bos¬
ton, Mass., to Buffalo in June, 1852, and continued until
May, 1853, when it was removed to New York.

Die Homoeopath and Diaeletischer Hansfreund was started in
1852 by Conrad Bar, an'I continued 1 year.

Sonntags Blatt was started in 1852 hy Brunck, Held & Co., and
continued 1 year.

The Sunday Visitor was started in 1852 hy Reed & Moore, and
continued 1 year.

The United States Mail, mo., was published in 1852 hy Jewett,
Thomas & Co.

The Buffalo Daily Ledger was published a few months in 1852
by T. Richardson.

The Pathfinder was published in 1852 by Charles Faxon.

The Sunday Herald was published about 3 months in 1853 by
Geo. W. Weeks.

The School and House Friend, semi-mo., (German,) was started
in March, 1853, by Conrad Bar, and continued 1 year.

TheLibrary and Garden was published in 1853 by D. S. Manly & Co.

The Buffalo Catholic Sentinel was started in"June,
1853, by Michael Hagan, its present publisher.

Jllustrirte Abend Schule, semi-mo., was published in 1854 by
Rev. C. Dichlxnan.

The Atlantis, mo., (German,) brought from Cleveland,
Ohio, to Buffalo in 1856, is edited by C. Essellen.

The American Rights was published from Sept. 1854, to July,
1855, by Geo. Reese
& Co.

The Age of Progress, conducted by Stephen Albro, was con>
menced in 1854 and discontinued in 1858.

The Zeitschrift was published about 4 months in 1854 by Conrad

Zeichen der Zeit, mo., was started in June, 1855, by-

Drexler. j In 1858 T. Gottlieb Ade became its editor.
The Home has been published since Jan. 1856, by E. E.

The Buffalo Allegemeine Zeitung, w. and semi-
w., was started in May, 1856, by Frederick Reinecke,
the present publisher.

The Buffalo Patriot, d., (German,) was published during the
campaign of 1856 by Voght
& Jung.

Has Historische Zeithlatt und Liiterai’ischer
mo., was started in May, 1857, by Conrad
Biir, its present publisher.

The Home Monthly was started Jan. 1,1859, under the

editorial charge of Mrs. H. E. G. Arey and Mrs. -


The Inventor’s Advertiser was published at Buffalo by Thos. P.

'    How.

The Aurora Democrat was established at West Aurora in Oct
1835, by Deloss E. Sill, publisher, and continued about
1 year.

The Aurora Standard was started at East Aurora Aug. 1,1835,
hy A. M. Clapp. In 1838 it was removed to Buffalo and
merged in the Buffalo Commercial Advertiser.

The Springville Express was commenced in May, 1844, by Edwin
Hough, and continued until the fall of 1848.

The Springville Herald was established in May, 1850,
by E. D. Webster; and in Dec. 1856, it passed into tbe
hands of J. B. Saxe, its present publisher.

The American Citizen was started at Springville in Feb. 1856, by
Lucius C. Sanders, and continued nearly a year.

The Tonawanda Commercial was started at Tonawanda in 1840
by Sylvester Hoyt, and continued about a year.

The Niagara River Pilot was commenced at Tonawanda in 1853
by Packard & Eoxlonger. In Aug. 1856, it passed into
the hands of S. O. Hayward, by whom, in Nov. 1857, it
was changed to

The Niagara Rrouitierj under which name it is still

The Mental Elevator was published a short time in the Seneca

1 Among the first settlers were Joseph Freeman, John Easta-
brook, Wm. Snow, and Arunah Hibbard, who came in 1810;
Sami. Slade, James Crocker, Sami. Huntington, and Jonas Stick-
ney, who came in 1811; and Wm. Dayton, who came in 1812.
The first birth was that of a daughter of Arunah Hibbard; and
tbe first death, that of Polly Cransaky, in 1812. John Rogers
built the first sawmill, in 1813 or ’14, and the first gristmill, in
1817. Amos Bliss kept the first inn, and Seth Eastabrook the
first store, both in 1816. The first school was taught hy Meba-
tabel Eastabrook, in 1815.

2 Bap., Presb., Evang. Luth., M. E., and 2 R. C.

3 Named in honor of Lord Amherst, commander of 'the
English forces in America in 1759-60.

i Named from Jonas Williams, one of the early settlers.

5 The Williamsville Classical Institute. The whole number
of students for the year 1857 was 222.

® A gristmill, a sawmill, a tannery, a furnace, a broom factory,
a chair factory, and a waterlime mill, the last producing 3,000
to 6,000 bbls. of hydraulic cement per year.


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2