1 The’first courthouse of the co. was located at Whitesboro,
now Oneida co. The first courthouse and jail at Herkimer was
burned Jan. 25,1834. The first co. officers were Henry Staring,
First Judge; Michael Myers, Hugh White, and Abraham Har¬
denburgh, Judges; Jonas Piatt, Clerk; Wm. Colbreath, Sheriff;
and Moses De Witt, Surrogate.
2 The two main buildings of this institution are of stone, and
are each 30 by 46 feet.
s The Telescope was commenced at Herkimer about 1802 by
Benj. Corey. It was purchased hy David Holt and J. B.
Bobbins, and discontinued in Jan. 1805.
The Farmers' Monitor was commenced in the same office in
1805 hy Holt & Bobbins. It was discontinued in 1807.
The Herkimer Pelican was commenced in 1807 or ’08 by Benj.
Corey, and was discontinued about 1810.
The Herkimer American was commenced in 1810 by J. H. & II.
Prentiss. Wm. L. Stone afterward becam^ the pub¬
lisher. In 1813 or ’14 he sold it to Edward P. Seymour,
who continued its publication until 183-1, when it was
Bunker Hill was commenced at Herkimer in 1810 by G. G.
Phinney. Its name was changed in 1812 to
The Honest American,xmAe-e which title it was published a few
The People's Friend was commenced at little Palls in Sept.
1821,- by Edward M. Griffin. It was successively pub¬
lished by Joseph A. Noonan, Horatio N. Johnson, and
E. G. Palmer & H. N. Johnson. In 1830 it was pub¬
The People's Friend, and Little Falls Gazette. In July, 1834, it
passed into the hands of N. S. Benton & Co., who
changed its name to
Tlie Moiiawk Courier, under which title it is nowpub-
lished by A. W. Eaton.
The Herkimer Herald was commenced in 1828 hy John Car¬
penter. It was removed in a few years to Oswego.
The Republican Farmers’ Free Press was commenced at Herki-
> mer in 1830 by - Ilolt; B. B. Hotchkin, editor. In
1834 it was removed to Little Palls and its name
The Herkimer County Whig, under which title it was published
about 2 years by Earned W. Smith.
The Inquirer was published a short time at Little Falls by
Larned W. Smith.
The Herkimer County Journal was commenced in
Dec. 1837, by a companv; J. C. Underwood, editor, E.
P. Seymour, printer. H 1838 it passed into the hands
of O. A. Bowe, and in 184c to Orlando Squires, who re¬
moved it to Little Falls. He was succeeded by Daniel
Ayer, by whom the paper is now published.
(Small papers. A few numbers were issued
in 1853 or ’54 by O. Squires. The latter
paper was designed as a daily, but was
issued only tri-weekly.
The Watchman was issued by Squires about 6 months in 18—.
The Democratic Vindicator was issued by Squires about 2 weeks
The Enterprise was issued at Little Palls in 1839 by E. M.
Griffin. In 1841 it was succeeded by
The Mohawk Mirror, semi-mo., which was discontinued in 1844.
The Tribune and Spirit of ’98 was published at Little Falls a
short time in 18— by H. N. Johnson.
The Herkimer Freeman was commenced at Little Palls in July,
1844, by O. A. Bowe. In 1850 he removed it to Mohawk
and changed the name to
The Mohawk Times. It was soon after discontinued.
The Frankfort Democrat was commenced in 1842 by J. M. Lyon
& W. B. Holmes. In 1844 it was removed to Herkimer
and its name changed to
The He.rkimer County Democrat. In 1848 Mr. Lyon was suc¬
ceeded by Bobert Earl. In 1850 C. 0. Witherstine be¬
came interested in its publication, and in March, 1854,
he became sole proprietor. In Sept. 1854, J. L. Ilayse
was associated with Mr. Witherstine, and in Dec. 1855,
the name of the paper was changed to
The Herkimer American. In May, 1S56, Mr. Hayse withdrew;
and in July following the paper passed into tho hands,
of B. W. Crain & J. T. Stevens, who changed its name to
The Herkimer County Democrat. Withers¬
tine soon after became proprietor; and in June, 1859, it
was sold to II. G. Crouch, its present publisher.
The Ilion Independent was commenced in Jan. 1855; G. W. Bun¬
gay, editor, Wm. L. Fish & H. W. Lyman, publishers.
In Jan. 1858, it was removed to Utica.
The Mohawk Valley Sentinel was commenced at
Mohawk in Jan. 1855, by L. W. Peters & G. W. Gould.
In May following Mr. Peters became sole proprietor,
and is its present publisher.
The Standard Bearer was commenced at West Win¬
field in June, 1859; W. H. Dixon, publisher.