MONROE COUNTY. 399
dulations in the s. It is drained to the n. e. by the head branches of Salmon and Little Salmon
Creeks. The soil is a sandy loam, mixed with clay. Clarkson, (p. v.,) in the s. part, contains
a church, a tannery, and 325 inhabitants. It is the residence of Ex-Lieut. Gov. Henry R. Sel-
den. Salt was manufactured to a limited extent by the early settlers. East Clarkson, (p.v.,)
in the s. e. corner, contains a church and 20 houses; "West Clarkson, in the w. part, 30
houses. The first settlement commenced in 1809, by James Sayres, Truman Moody, and Elijah
Blodgett1. There are 3 churches in town; 2 M. E. and Cong.
GATES2—was formed March 30, 1802, as “Northampton ” Its name was changed June 10,
1812. Parma, Riga, and Murray (Orleans co.) were taken off in 1808, and Greece in 1822. It is
near the center of the co. Its surface is undulating, and slightly inclined toward the n. Genesee
River forms a small portion of the e. boundary on the s. e. corner. It is drained by small streams.
The soil is a fine quality of calcareous loam, intermixed with clay. The people are largely engaged
in raising vegetables for the Rochester market. Gates (p. o.) is 1 mi. n. of Gates Center. Gates
Center and West Gates are hamlets; and Coldwater is a station upon the Buffalo
Branch of the N.Y. C. R. R. The first settlement was made in 1809, by Isaac Dean, from Vt.3
The census reports 2 churches in town; M. E. and Presb.
GREECE —was formed from Gates, March 22,1822. It lies near the center, on the n. border
of the co. Genesee River and Lake Ontario form its e. and n. boundaries. Its surface is rolling,
with a general inclination toward the lake. It is drained by several streams that flow into the
small bays that indent the lake shore. These bays, six in number, beginning at the w., are
respectively Braddocks Bay and Cranberry, Long, Buck, Round, and Little Ponds. The shifting
sand bars at their mouths destroy their commercial utility. The soil is a clay loam, with large
tracts of drift sand along the lake shore. Charlotte,4 (p. v.,) in the n. e. corner, near the mouth
of Genesee River, is a U. S. port of entry in the Genesee District, and the lake port for Rochester,
7 mi. above. It contains 2 churches, a lighthouse, 3 shipyards, a steam sawmill, 2 grain elevators,
planing mill, and lumber yard. Pop. 570. Six schooners are owned in the place; and the lake
steamers touch here daily during navigation. West Greece, (p. v.,) on the line of Parma,
contains 2 churches and 30 houses; Nor til Greece (p. v.) a church and 20 houses; Soutli
'Greece, (p.v.,) in the s. w. corner, 25 houses; and Greece (p.v.) a church and 20 houses.
Hanfords Eandmg', (p. v.,) in the s. e. corner, at the head of navigation on Genesee River
from the lake, contains 20 houses. Greece Center and Reads Corners are hamlets.
The first settlement was made at the mouth of the Genesee, in 1792,5 by Wm. Hencher and family.
The census reports 7 churches in town.6
HENRIETTA7 —was formed from Pittsford, March 27, 1818. It is an interior town, lying
s. of the center of the co. Its surface is rolling, Genesee River forming its w. boundary. The
streams are small, and usually dry in summer. The soil is a fertile, argillaceous loam. East
Henrietta, (Henrietta p. o.,) e. of the center, contains 2 churches, the Monroe Academy, and
181 inhabitants. West Henrietta, (p. v.,) s. w. of the center, contains a church, a steam mill,
furnace, extensive carriage shops, and 40 houses. The first settlement was commenced by Jesse
Pangburn, in 1806.8 The first church (Bap.) was organized in 1811.9
and the enemy, suspecting an ambuscade, retired, after having
furiously bombarded the woods for an hour.
8 Among the other early settlers were John Love, in 1793, at
the mouth of the river; Zadoc Granger and Gideon King, at the
Lower Genesee Falls, now Hanfords Landing, in 1796; and, in
the winter of 1796 and ’97, Eli Granger, Thomas King, Simon
'King, Elijah Kent, Frederic Bushnell, and Samuel Latta located
in town. Eli Granger and Abner Migells built a schooner at
Hanfords (then Kings) Landing, in 1799. This was the first
merchant vessel built by Americans on Lake Ontario. The first
marriage was that of Thomas Lee and a daughter of Wm.
Hencher. Frederic Hanford kept the first store, in 1810; and
Nathaniel Jones built the first sawmill.
8 2 M. E., Presb., Bap., Cong., Union, and R. C.
I Named from Henrietta Laura, Countess of Bath, daughter
of Sir Wm. Pulteney.
8 Maj. Isaac Scott received for military services 900 acres in
the s. w. part of the town, and attempted a settlement in 1790,
but abandoned it in 1792. In 1806, Charles Rice, Wm, Yhomp'
son, Thomas Sparks, Moses Goodall, Geo. Dickinson, Selat Reed,
and Gideon Griswold settled in the w. part. In 1807, Ira Hatch,
Jonathan Russell, Benjamin Hale, and the Baldwin family
settled on what was called the Wadsworth Road. In 1809, the
Spring family settled near the center. Sarah Legg6tt taught
the first school, in 1809; James Sinith kept the first store; and
Jonathan Smith built the first sawmill.
9 The census reports 5 churches; 2 M. E., 2 Bap., and Cong.
The first settlement was made at Clarkson; .and among the
early settlers at that point were David Forsyth and Dea. Joel
Palmer, from Conn. Eldridge, John, and Isaac Farwell came
in 1810, and located w. of Clarkson Village. Dr. Abiel Bald¬
win, from Saratoga, came in 1811. The first male child born
was a son- of Mrs. McCall; the first female birth was that
of Almira Palmer, in 1812. Charlotte Cummings taught -the
first school, in 1812. Henry McCall kept the first store, about
Named in honor of Gen. Horatio Gates.
Among the early settlers who arrived in 1809 were John
Sickles and Augustus B. Shaw. In 1817, Ezra Mason,-
Hartford, and Richard, Paul, Philip, Lisle, and Lowell Thomas,
located in town. William Williams came in 1819. The first child
born was a daughter of Ezra Mason, in 1818. Ira West kept
the first store, and Isaac Dean built the first mill.
In June, 1813, the British fleet, under Sir James Teo,
landed at Charlotte and seized a quantity of provisions and
whiskey. In Sept. of the same year the fleet again made its
appearance dt the mouth of the Genesee, and commenced a
heavy fire upon the place; but the American fleet made its
appearance, relieved the place, and the British escaped with
tonsiderable difficulty. In May, 1814, the British came once
more, and, under cover of a flag of truce, a demand was made
to deliver up the public stores at Rochester. The few militia¬
men who were present passed into and out of the woods in
eight of the British, giving the appearance of a great number;