Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 459
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


office is a fireproof building, located at Utica. The poorhouse is situated upon a farm of 195 acres
about 2 mi. s. w. of Rome. It has an average of 222 inmates, supported at a cost of $1.00 per
week each. Separate buildings have been provided for lunatics and' for a pesthouse.1


The Erie Canal extends through Utica, Whitestown, Rome, and Yerona. The Chenango Canal
extends s. from Utica, up the valley of Oriskany Creek, through New Hartford, Kirkland, Mar¬
shall, and a corner of Augusta, connecting with the Susquehanna River at Binghamton. The
Black River Canal extends
n. from Rome along the valleys of the Mohawk and Lansing Kil
through Western and Boonville, connecting with Black River above Lyons Falls, in Lewis co.
The Oneida Lake Canal extends w. from Rome to Wood Creek and along that stream to its mouth
The N. Y. Central R. R. extends through Utica, Whitestown, Rome, and Verona. The Black River
& Utica R. R. extends from Utica
n. through Marcy, Trenton, Remsen, and Steuben to Boonville.2
The Watertown & Rome R. R. extends from Rome x. w. through Annsville and Camden. A large
number of plank roads have been built in the co.; but they are mostly abandoned.

Four daily, 9 weekly, 1 semi-monthly, 1 quarterly, and 4 monthly newspapers are now published
in the co.3

At an early period of the English occupation of New York the colonists became acquainted with

that place was used for holding courts for many years. A new
courthouse was built at Utica in 1851-53. The first co. officers
were Jedediah Sanger,
First Judge; Geo.Huntington and David
Judges; Jonas Platt, Clerk; Wm. Colbrath, Sheriff;
and Arthur Breese, Surrogate.

1 An act was passed in 1859 for the sale of the poorhouse pre¬
mises and the purchase of a new site.

2 This road has been partially built along Black River through
Lewis co.; but work upon it is now suspended. It was the
original design to extend the road to Clayton and Ogdensburgh.1

3 The Western Centinel was commenced atWhitesboro’ in Jan.

1794, by Oliver P. Eaton. He was succeeded by-

Lewis, and afterward by Lewis & Webb. The paper
was continued about 6 years.

The Whitestown Gazette was commenced in June, 1798, by Wm.
McLean. In 1798 it was removed to Utica and con¬
tinued as

The Whitestown Gazette and Cato’s Patrol. In 1803 it was pur¬
chased by John H. Lathrop, and was soon after merged

The Utica Patriot, commenced by Asahel Seward and Ira Mer¬
rill, Mr. Lathrop continuing as editor. In 1811 it
*    passed into the hands of Wm. H. Maynard; and in 1816

it was united with
The Patrol, commenced in J an. 1815, by Seward & Williams, and
the combined paper was published as
The Patriot and Patrol, W. H. Maynard, editor, and Seward &
Williams, publishers. In 1821 its name was changed to
The Utica Sentinel. In 1825 it was united with the Columbian
Gazette and published as
The Sentinel and Gazette. In 1^28 S. D. Dakin became proprie¬
tor, and in 1829 he sold to Rufus Northway and D. S.
Porter. In 1831 Mr. Porter withdrew. In 1834 Mr.
Northway united the Elucidator with it and changed
its name to

The Oneida Whig. In 1848 it was merged in the Oneida
Weekly Herald. In 1842 Mr. Northway commenced
The Utica Daily Gazette, Wm. Allen and R. U. Sherman, editors.
Erastus Clark, Wm. H. Underhill, Ezekiel Barron, Alex.
Seward, II. C. Potter, J. M. Lyon, John Arthur, N. D.
Jewell, and Ellis
& Roberts were successively interested
in its publication. In Jan. 1857, it was united with
The Utica Morning Herald, and assumed the name of the
Utica Morning Herald and Gazette, and is still

The Columbian Patriotic Gazette was commenced at Rome by
Thos. W'alker and Ebenezer Eaton in Aug. 1799. In
1800 Mr. Eaton retired, and in 1803 it was removed to
Utica and published as
The Columbian Gazette; and in 1825 it was united with the
Utica Sentinel by Wfii. J. Bacon and S. D. Dakin.

The Elucidator was commenced in 1829 by B.B. Hotchkin, editor,
and W. Williams, publisher. It was united with the
Oneida Whig in 1834.

The Oneida Morning Herald was commenced by R. W. Roberts,
R. U. Sherman, and Geo. R. Colston, in Nov. 1847. A
weekly edition was also published, called
The Oneida Weekly Herald. In 1848 Mr. Colston withdrew, and
in 1857 the papers were united with the Utica Daily

Utica Christian Magazine was commenced by the Oneida A sso-
ciation and Presbytery in 1813, and was published
about 3 years.

The Club was published at Utica by Henry Goodfellow & Co.

about 3 months in 1814.

The Civil and Religious Intelligencer was started in 1815 at
Sangei field by Jos. Tenney. In 1825 it was changed to
The Sangerfield Intelligencer, and in 1835 it was removed to
“Franklin Village.’’ now F’abiUs, Onondaga. Co.

The Utica Observer was commenced by E. Dorchester in 1816.

In 1818 it was removed to Rome and its name
changed to

The Oneida Observer. In 1819 it was returned to Utica and its
original name was resumed. A. G. Danby, E. A. May¬
nard, Eii Maynard, C. C. Griffith, John P. Bush, John

F. Kittle, and A. M. Beardsley were successively inte¬
rested in the publication. In 1848 a daily edition was
issued, called

The Utica Daily Observer. In 1853 the papers united
with the Utica Democrat, and are nowy published by D.
C. Grove, the weekly edition as the
Observer and Democrat.

The Utica Democrat wras commenced by John G. Floyd in 1836.
It was successively published by Edward Morris, Jarvis
M. Hatch, and Benjamin Welch. In 1853 D. C. Grove
became owner, and united it with the Observer.

The Utica Christian Repository, mo., was commenced by Merrill
& Hastings in 1822, Wm. Williams, publisher. About
1825 its name was changed to
The Western Recorder, a weekly religious paper, G. Tracy, pub¬
lisher. It was continued several years.

The Baptist Register was commenced by Elders, Galusha &
Wiley. In 1825 it was published under the auspices of
the Baptist denomination, Alex. Beebe, editor, and
Cephas Bennett, publisher. In 1830 it was leased to
& Bright for 5 years; and in 1835 the lease was
renewed for 7 years. In 1840 Mr. Bright withdrew. It
was successively published by Bennett, Backus & Haw¬
ley, Dolphus Bennett, A. M. Beebe, and D. Bennett, and
in 1854 it was sold and united with the New York
Recorder, of the city of New York.

The Baptist Sunday-School Journal, mo., was commenced in
1828 by C. Bennett.

The Universalist, mo., was commenced at Utica by Rev. J. S.
Thompson, L. R. Smith,
& G. B. Lislier in 1825. It was
removed to Philadelphia in about 1 year.

The Western Sunday School Visitant and Christian Miscellany
was commenced at Utica by G. S. Wilson in 1826.

The Utica Intdligencer was commenced by E. S. Ely in 1826.
In 1830 Joseph H. Buckingham became editor and
Joseph Colwell publisher, and in 1831 the paper was
united with

The Mechanics’ Press, commenced by J. M.Ladd &W. Schram in
1829. The united papers were published a short time as
The Utica Intelligencer ana Mechanics’ Press, by Joseph Colwell,

The Utica Magazine was commenced in 1827. It soon passed
into the hands of Rev. Dolphus Skinner, who issued it
semi-monthly as
The Evangelical Magazine. In 1830 he united it with the Gos¬
pel Advocate of Auburn, and published it weekly as the
Evangelical Magazine and Gospel Advocate. In 185] it was
merged in the Christian Ambassador, since published
simultaneously in New York and Auburn.

The Gospel Messenger was commenced at Auburn by Rev. John

C. Rudd in 1827, and was removed to Utica about 1835
and published as    

The Gospel Messenger and Church Record. After the death of
Mr. Rudd, Rev. Wm. A. Matson became editor. The
paper is still published as
Tlie Gospel Messenger.

The American Citizen was published at Utica by Geo. S. Wilson
■—Bennett & Bright, printers—in 1830.

The Christian Journal was published at Utica in 1830 by E. S,

The Co-Operator, semi-mo., was published at Utica in 1832 by
Quartus Graves, M. 11. Bartlett, editor.

The Lever was published at Utica by Wm. S. Spear in 1832.

The Oneida Democrat was commenced at Utica in 1833, and
continued about 2 years.


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2