flouring and saw mills, a. newspaper office, furnace, machine shop, and a large distillery. Pop.
1,675,—of which 1,115 are in this town and 560 in Yan Buren. Betts Corners (Lysander
p.o.) contains 3 churches and 35 houses; liittle Utica, 1 church and 30 houses; Plain-
ville (p. v.) a church and 218 inhabitants; and Jacksonville (Polkville p. o.) a church and
25 houses. Cam sons (p. o) is a r. r. station. The first settler within the present limits of the
town was Jonathan Palmer, a Eevolutionary soldier, who drew Lot 136, and located upon it £d
1793.1 The first church (Presb.) was formed in 1813.2
MAWXII7S—was formed March 5, 1794. A part of Onondaga was taken off in 1798, a part
of Salina in 1809, and De Witt in 1835. It lies on the e. border of the co., n. of the center.
The surface of the n. half is level, and that of the s. half rolling and hilly. Limestone Creek
flows n. through near the center of the town, and at the northern extremity it receives Butternut
Creek from the w., and the two united streams flow into Chittenango Creek, which latter stream
forms the n. e. boundary of the town. A few rods s. of the canal, near the center, are two small
lakes, similar in character to those already described in De Witt, hut somewhat larger. They
are known as the “Green Lakes.” In the s. w. corner of the town is another small pond of the
same kind.3 The e. branch of Limestone Creek, near the s. border of the town, falls down a
limestone precipice 100 ft., forming a beautiful cascade. Several sulphur and other mineral
springs are found in town, but none of any considerable note.3 In the w. part are extensive
quarries, from which are obtained immense quantities of waterlime, quicklime and gypsum. The
soil is a deep, fertile alluvium in the n., and a sandy and clayey loam in the s. Manlius, (p. v.,)
on Limestone Creek, near the s. line of the town, was incorp. March 12, 1813. It contains the
Manlius Academy, a union school, 4 churches, 2 carriage factories, 2 flouring mills, an ax factory,
2 founderies, and a paper mill. Pop. 934. Fayetteville, (p. v.,) on Limestone Creek, 2 mi. n. w.
from Manlius, and 1 mi. from the Brie Canal, with which it is connected by a navigable feeder,
was incorp. May 6, 1844. It is finely situated on a gentle elevation, and has a number of valuable
water-privileges.5 It contains 4 churches, a union school, a bank, 2 large flouring mills, 3 sawmills,
1 pearl barley mill, 1 paper mill, 1 sash blind and door factory, 3 lime and plaster mills, 1 tannery,
1 foundery and machine shop, 1 wheelbarrow factory and 1 cradle factory, 5 carriage factories, and
several large establishments for the manufacture of lime, plaster, and waterlime.4 Pop. in 1859,
1,376. Manlius Center (p. v.) is a canal village, containing 40 houses. Manlius Station
(p. v.) and Kirkville (p. v.) are small villages and stations upon the Central R. R. Mig'li
Bridge, in the s. w. part, contains a church, 2 plaster and lime mills, a sawmill, gristmill, and
20 houses.7 Matthews Mills, (North Manlius p. o.,) Eagle Village, and Hartoville
are hamlets. The first settlers were David Tripp, who located 1 mi. n. w. of the present site of
Manlius Village, and James Foster, who located on the- present site of Eagle Village, in 1790.8 The
first church (Prot. E.) was formed in 1798; Rev. Mr. Nash was the first preacher.9
MARCEEEIIS—was formed March 5, 1794. A part of Onondaga was taken off in 1798;
Camillus in 1799; a part of Otisco in 1806; and Skaneateles in 1830. A part of Sempronius
barrels of waterlime, and 50,410 bushels of quicklime ware sold
in the village of Fayetteville.
1 An extensive water-power is formed at this place by th© con¬
struction of a hydraulic canal from Limestone Creek and an¬
other from a brook flowing from the e. This power is used
in all the manufactories in the village, and but a small portion
of it is occupied.
8 Among the other early settlers were Joshua Knowlton and
Origen Eaton, on the site of Fayetteville, in 1791; Conrad Lour,
Cyrus Kinnie, and John A Shaeffer, in 1792; and Caleb Pratt,
Capt. Joseph Williams, Wm.Ward, Col. Elijah Phillips, Charles
Mulholland, Charles Moseley, Dr. Sturtevant, Alvan Marsh, and
Dr. Ward, all of whom came previous to 1800. The first child
born was Baron Steuben Shaeffer, in 1794. It is related that
on the night of his birth Baron Steuben and a party of friends
put up at Mr. Shaeffer’s, who then kept an inn on the present
site of Manlius. The baron was much disturbed during the
night, and in the morning severely reprimanded Mr. S. for al¬
lowing his guests to be so annoyed that they could not sleep.
Upon seeing the infant, he apologized for his ebullition of tem¬
per, bestowed his own name upon the child, and gave him a
deed of 250 acres of land. The first marriage was that of
Nicholas Phillips and Katy Garlock, Jan. 14,1793; and the first
death, that of the father of David Tripp, in 1792; Samuel Ed¬
wards taught the first school, in James Foster’s barn; James
Foster kept the first inn, in 1790; Charles Moseley the first
store, in 1793; Elijah Phillips and three others built the first
sawmill, in 1792-93; and Wm. Ward the first gristmill, in 1794.
9 The census reports 13 churches in town; 3 M. E., 2 Bap.,
2 Prot. E., 2 Presb., Meth. Prot., Wes. Meth., U C.. and Union,
Among the other settlers were Benj.De Puy, Reuben Smith,
Adam Emerick, Elijah and Solomon Toll, Thomas Farrington,
Elijah Mann, John McHarrie, Wm. Lindsay, Ebenezer Wells,
James Cowan, Abrier and Manly Vickery, Job Lorn is, and Dr.
Jonas C. Baldwin. Dr. Baldwin was the early proprietor and
founder of Baldwinswille. He built the first saw and grist
mills, in 1807; and opened the first store, during the same year.
By his energy, the place soon became an important manfac-
turing village. Daniel Ayers kept the first inn. The first child
born was John Toll.
The census reports 9 churches in town; 4 M. E., 2 Presb.,
Bap., Ref. Prot. D., and Christian.
Deep Spring, called by the Indians Te-ungh-sat-a-yagh, is a
spring 60 ft. in diameter, on the e. line of the town, near the
old Seneca Turnpike.
by the citizens at a cost of $35,000—and Bishop Brook. The