The Pulaski Advocate, and was published hy Daniel Ayer until
1838. It was then sold to Dickinson and united
with the Port Ontario Aurora, the united papers taking
the name of
The Advocate and Aurora. The name, Aurora, was dropped in
1840, when the Advocate again passed into the hands
of Daniel Ayer, and was discontinued in 1842.
The Pulaski Courier was started in 1843 hy W. Winans. In
1847 it passed into the hands of A. A. Mathewson, and
was changed to
The Richland Courier. In 1850 it was sold to Joseph Hatch,
who changed its title to
Tlie Pulaski Democrat. In 1856 it passed into the
hand3 of Miller, its present publisher.
The Fulton Chronicle was started in Nov. 1S37, by Thomas
Johnson. In 1840 it was sold to Isaac S. Clark and
Edwin Thompson, who gave it the name of the
Ben Franklin. It was discontinued the following year, and suc¬
The Weekly Despatch, published by E. C. Hatten about 1 year.
The Fulton Sun w^s started in 1841 by N. B. Northrop. In
1842 it was united with the Mirror.
The Fulton Mirror was established Aug. 20, 1S42, hy Daniel
Ayer. It was soon after united with the Sun and issued
The Fulton Sun and Mirror. In Sept. 1844, it was sold to
Spencer Munroe, and soon after discontinued. It was
Tlie Fulton Patriot. M. C. Hough, John A. Place, and
T. S. Brigham were successively interested in its publi¬
cation. The latter was succeeded by It. K. Sandford,
its present publisher.
The Oswego County Gazette, commenced at Pulton in 1853 by
Geo. E. Williams, was merged in The Pulton Patriot in
The Port Ontario Aurora was published by Van Cleve and
subsequently by Dickinson from 1837 to 1839, when
it was united with The Pulaski Advocate.
The Oswego County Deimcrat was started at Mexico in 1838 by
Thomas Messenger. It was afterward styled
The Messenger, and was discontinued in 1839.
The Phoenix Gazette, started at Phoenix in 1851, was published
hy Jerome Duke, and afterward by Geo. E. Williams
until 1853, when it was removed to Pulton
The Phoenix Democrat was established in 1852 hy an association.
In 1854 it was sold to James H. Pield, and the next year
he gave it the name of
The Phoenix Banner. In 1855 it was published a short time as
The American Banner and Oswego County Times. It was sus¬
pended in 1855, and in 1856 it was revived by Mary
Prances Tucker, and called
The American Banner and Literary Gem. fiight months after¬
ward it was sold to Levi Murrill, by whom it was pub¬
The American Banner until 1857. After being suspended two
months, it was revived, under the title of
Tlie Phoenix Reporter, hy Joshua Williams, hy whom
it is still published.
1 There is a tradition that the French established a military
post here at a very early period; hut research among the papers
of that period does not corroborate the statement.
2 There were several portages on this route,—around the falls
in the streams, and across from Wood Creek to the Mohawk.
3 Not a single trace of this fortification now remains.
4 This fort stood at the junction of West 6th and Van Buren
6 The French landed 50 mi. e. of Oswego, and marched along
the lake shore under cover of their naval force. The English
garrison numbered 2,000 strong. Col. Mercer, the English com¬
mander, was killed by a cannon shot on the 2d day of the siege
6 In this grant the State made reservations of the territory at
the mouth of the river, within the limits of the city of Oswego,
and also at the falls in the village of Pulton. Most of these
reservations were disposed of at public sale in 1827. At an
earlier date, considerable tracts in Scriba’s Patent, on Oswego
Biver, were jointly purchased by Gen. Alexander Hamilton,
John Laurence, and John B. Church. Several other grants were
also made along the river. Other tracts of considerable magni¬
tude were purchased by Schroeppel, Rosevelt, and others.
f This survey and subdivision was made by Benjamin Wright,
who in 1793-94 ran the base line from Borne to Fort Ontario,
on which the towns of Scriba’s Patent were laid out. The town*