1 This co. stands first in the State in the value of its stock,
(.mount of pasturage and meadow, and among the first in the
(mount annually produced of spring wheat, potatoes, peas, and
2 The marine clay deposits produce fine crops of winter wheat.
3 Eurnaces are or have recently been in operation at Rossie,
Wegatchie, Euliersville, and Brasher Iron Works. The supply
of ore is inexhaustible, and large quantities of iron are annually
4 The Rossie Lead Mines are now worked by an English com¬
pany. Lead has also been found in several other localities in the co.
6 The principal lumber operations are carried on on the Racket
River. Since 1851, 10 gang sawmills have been built within 17
mi. In 1855 it was estimated that 120,000 logs were worked up.
6 Consisting of shingles, staves, lath, heading, boxes, doors,
sash and blinds.
I Opened to Ogdensburgh Oct. 1,18-50.
3 Opened through the co. Aug. 23,1855.
9 These improvements have been made on the Indian, Oswe¬
gatchie, Racket, and Grass Rivers.
i° The county seat was first located at Ogdensburgh, but was
removed to Canton in 1828. The first courts were held in the
(tone barracks, w. of the Oswegatchie; and a bomb-proof maga¬
zine adjacent was used for a jail. The first courthouse stood on
the site recently purchased by Government for a customhouse.
The first co. officers were Nathan Ford, First Judge; Alex. Turner
and Joseph Edsall, Judges; Stillman Foote and John Tibbetts,
Assist. Justices; Thos. J. Davies, Sheriff; Lewis Hasbrouck, Co.
Clerk; and Matthew Perkins, Surrogate. The present court¬
house was located by Joseph Grant, Geo. Brayton, and John E.
Hinman, commissioners from Oneida co.; and the buildings
were erected under the supervision of Ansel Bailey, David C.
Judson, and Asa Sprague, jr. The records of the supervisors
previous to 1814 were lost in a fire at Ogdensburgh in 1839.
II The jail is a miserable building, poorly adapted to the pur¬
poses for which it was erected.
12 This institution yields an annual revenue of about $1,000.
The average number of inmates is about 150. The supplies are
fuWiished by contract. The poorhouse is deficient in necessary
conveniences for the health and comfort of its inmates.
13 At Ogdensburgh the following papers have been published:
The Palladium, was begun in 1810 by Kip & Strong, sold in 1812
to John P. Sheldon, and continued to 1814.
The St. Lawrence Gazette was begun in 1815 by D. R. Strachan
and P. B. Fairchild at Canton. In 1830 it was bought
bv Preston King, removed to this place, and united with
The St. Lawrence Eephblican. In 1833 it was sold
to S. Hoard. It was afterward published by Hitchcock,
Tillotson & Stillwell, and is now published by James &
The Northern Light was begun July 7,1831, by W. B. Rogers, as
an anti-masonic organ. In 1834 A. B. James became its
publisher, and changed it to
The Times; and at the end of the 4th volume it was enlarged,
rhe Ogdensburgh Times. In 1837 Dr. A. Tyler became associated
with James, and the title was changed to
The Times and Advertiser. In March, 1844, it was transferred
to H. G. Foote and S. B. Seeley, and changed to
tThe Frontier Sentinel. In June, 1847, Mr. Foote changed it to
The Ogdensburgh Sentinel, under which name it was published
by Stillman Foote until 1858, when it was merged in
the Daily Journal.
The Meteorological Register was commenced, and a few numbers
issued, in 1839; edited by Jas. H. Coffin, now Vice-Pres.
of Lafayette Coll., Easton, Penn.
The Ogdensburgh Forum was begun April 24, 1848, by A. Tyler,
and discontinued in 1851.
The Daily Sentinel was started April 14,1848, by S. Foote, and
published for 5 months.
The St. Lawrence Budget, a small semi-mo. advertising sheet, was
issued from The Sentinel office in 1850-51.
The Daily Morning News was begun in March, 1852, by Wm. N.
Oswell, publisher, and Fayette Robinson, editor.
The Weekly News was issued fr'om the same office in Sept. 1852.
Both were discontinued in the Dec. following.
The St. Lawrence American was begun March 1, 1855, by Wm.
Yeaton and E. M. Holbrook, and continued 3 years.
The Boys’ Daily Journalw&a begun May 1,1855,by II. R. James,
J. W. Hopkins, and C. Foster. As lads belonging to the
Ogdensburgh Academy, they had previously issued the
Morning Glory and Young America. In 1857 Foster
withdrew', and the name was changed to
The Daily Journal, under which name the paper is still
The Weekly Journal is made up from the daily. Neither of the
publishers is of age, (1858.)
The St. Lawrence Democrat was commenced at Can¬
ton in the year 1858, by Messrs. Abbott & O’Brien. It
is still issued by its original proprietors.
At Potsdam the following have been issued:—
The Potsdam Gazette was begun Jan. 13,1816, by F. C. Powell,
and continued till April, 1823.
The Potsdam American w-as commenced by F. C. Powell in Jan.
1824, from the old Gazette press, and was continued by
Powell & Reddington till April, 1829. In May of the
same year it was revived as
The Herald, and published as an anti-masonic organ till Aug.
The St. Lawrence Republican was begun in 1826 by W. H.
Wyman, and removed to Canton in 1827.
The Day Star was published 6 months in 1827 by Jonathan
The Patriot was commenced in April, 183-, by Wm. Hughes,
and published one year.
The Northern Cabinet was removed from Canton in 1845; and
from the same office was issued
The Repository in 1846, semi-mo., made up of the literary matter
of The Cabinet. This latter was sold to Wm. L. Knowles,
and changed to
The St. Lawrence Mercury in 1848. W. H. Wallace became pro¬
prietor in 1850; and H. C. Fay in 1851, who changed
The St. Lawrence Journal. It was continued till July, 1S52,
when it was united with The Courier.
The Potsdam Courier was begun in 1851 by Y. Harrington, and
continued till July, 1852, when it was united with The
J ournal, and issued as
The Potsdam Courier and Journal was removed
to Canton in 1859, and is now published hy H. C. Fay
The Philomathean was begun in 1852, and a few numbers were
issued by students of the St. Lawrence Academy.
The Elementary Republican was begun in 1852, and a few num¬
bers issued from The Journal office.
The Northern Freeman, removed from Gouverneur in
1856, is still published by Doty & Baker.
The Evangelical Herald, mo., was begun in 1856by
Jos. A. Livingston. Printed part of the time at North¬
field, Yt. Now published at Boston and Potsdam.
At Canton the following have been published:—•
The Canton Advertiser and St. Lawrence Republican, removed
from Potsdam in 1827, was published here by Preston
King till 1830, when it was removed to Ogdensburgh.
The Northern Telegraph was begun in 1832 by C. C. Bill. It
was soon sold to Orlando Squires, and changed to
The Canton Democrat, and continued a short time.
The Luminary of the North, begun in July, 1834, was published
a short time.
The St. Lawrence Democrat was begun in Sept. 1840, hy E. A.
Barber, and continued 2 years.
The Northern Cabinet and Literary Repository, semi-mo., was
begun Jan. 2,1843, by Chas. Boynton, and in 1845 ro-
moved to Potsdam.
The Engineer was issued in 1844 hy Chas. Boynton.