Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 596
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


The great flat upon the Mohawk w. of “Fort Orangeand where the city of Schenectady now
stands, was bought of the natives in July, 1661, in the name of Arent Yan Corlaer and settlement
was commenced during the same year. It was under the charge of 5 commissioners until Nov. 1,
1684, when Gov. Dongan granted a patent confirming previous rights and extending the territory.2
On the night between the 8th and 9th of Feb. 1690, N.S.,3 the settlement—-then consisting of about
80 houses—was surprised by a party of about 300 French and Indians, and nearly every house was
burned. Sixty-three persons were killed, and 27 were carried to Canada as prisoners. The night
was intensely cold, and the nearest place of refuge was Albany, to which a few escaped after much
suffering.4 In 1702 It. Schermerhorn became sole trustee; and in 1705 a new patent was issued,
conferring certain township privileges. On the 23d of Oct. 1765, the place was created a borough,
with the rights and immunities incident to these corporations.5 From 1726 to the Revolution the
township of Schenectady sent a representative to the General Assembly. During the war the village
was fortified and garrisoned at the public expense, and many families from the Upper Mohawk
sought protection here from the incursions of the tories and Indians.6 For several years after 1779
a large number of friendly Oneida and Tuscarora families, driven from their homes by the hostile
tribes, were supported in this vicinity at the expense of the General Government. At the return
of peace the settlement shared in the general prosperity. A new impulse was given to business by
the improvements effected by the Western Inland Navigation- Co., which enabled large boats to
make longer voyages.7 Upon the completion of the Erie Canal the Mohawx navigation was entirely
superseded. For several years after the completion of the
r. r. from Albany in 1831, large
quantities of merchandise were sent here to be shipped on the canal, saving the delay of the cir¬
cuitous route and numerous locks on the canal between Schenectady and Troy.8 In 1832 a
r. r.
was built to Saratoga, in 1835, to Utica, and in 1843, to Troy. In 1849 several plank roads were
built, which since have been mostly abandoned.

DFAlSESBFRGe 9—was erected as a township, by patent, March 13, 1765, and it was first
recognized a^a town March 22, 1788. It lies in the s. w. corner of the co. Its surface consists
of an upland, broken by the narrow valleys and gullies of small streams. Schoharie Creek
forms a portion of its w. boundary, and Normans Kil flows through the s. part. The
hills that border upon these streams are steep, and in some places rocky. The other
principal streams are Corrys Brook, Chuctenunda Creek, and Bozen Kil. Maria Pond and
Featherstons Lake are 2 small bodies of water in the
n. e. part, about 250 feet above the canal.
The soil is principally a stiff, clay loam, with a slight intermixture of gravel. It is best adapted
to pasturage. Daanesbnr^h (p. v.) contains about a dozen houses, Quaker
(p.v.) 30, Mariaville11 (p.v.) 20, and Bramaus Corners (p.v.) 18. Eatons Cor¬
is a hamlet. Large tracts in this town were purchased by different parties between
1736 and 1770,12 but no active measures of settlement were taken till about the time of its
organization in 1765. During that year Duane, who had become an extensive proprietor, eon-

Tlie Schenectady Morning Star, started Feb. 24,1854, by W. M.

Colborne and W. N. Clark, was changed in 1854 to
Tlie Evening Star, da., now published by W. M. Col.

Tlie Schenectady Republican has been published
since Sept. 1857, by Colborne & Landon.

The Schenectady Daily News was started in April.
1859, by Frederic W. Hoffman. E. F. Loveridge, editor.

1 The grantors were 4 Mohawk chiefs, named Oantuque,
Sonareetsie, Aiadane, and Sodachdrasse. This grant was con¬
firmed the next year, and the tract was surveyed in 1664. The
inhabitants of Fort Orange, wishing to 'monopolize the Indian
trade,'presented to the settlers, before the land was received
from the surveyor, a written pledge to abstain from trading
with the Indians. A remonstrance against this injustice was
Bigned by the following early settlers, viz.: A. Van Corlaer, Philip
Hendrickson, Sanders Lendertsen Glen, Simon Volkrartsen,
Pieter Soghmaekelyk, Teunis Cornelissen, Marte Cornelise, Wil¬
lem Teller, Bastiaen De Winter for Catalyn, widow of Arent
Andries de Voss, Pieter Jacobse Borsboom, Pieter Danielse Van
Olinda, Jan Barentse Wemp, and Jacques Cornelise. Their re¬
sistance occasioned several years’ delay in the survey of the lands.

2 Wm. Teller, Ryer Schermerhorn; Sweer Tunison, Jan Van
Eps, and Myndert Wemp were appointed trustees under this
grant. The tract embraced the present city, and the towns of
Glenville, Rotterdam, and part of Niskayuna.

8 Previous to 1752 time was reckoned in England by “Old
Style,” the year commencing on the 25th of March. Ail dates
previous to that time, between Jan. 1 and March 25, are reckoned
in 1 year by “Old Style,” and in the following year by “New

4 Colden’s Five Nations, 3d ed., I. p. 120.

6 This and West Chester were the only boroughs in the

6 The place was never visited by a hostile army after 1690.
The colonial statutes contain frequent provisions for the re¬
building, repairs, and supplies of this fort.

7 This company cleared the river of impediments to navigation
as much as possible, built a lock at Little Falls, and in 1796
built a short canal connecting the Upper Mohawk with Wood
Creek, which flows into Oneida Lake, opening a direct water
communication with the chain of lakes in the interior of the
State, and with Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence. The boats
employed, called “
Durham Boats,” were propelled up stream by
setting- poles, and were floated down by the current.

8 This business was stopped by the repeal of the statute pro¬
hibiting the E. B.- from carrying freight w. of this place.

9 Named from James Duane, the principal proprietor. It was
first joined with Schoharie, as “the united district of Duanes¬
burgh and Schoharie.” It was made a separate district, March 24,
1772. Mr. Duane took an active part in public affairs during
the Revolution and the earlier years of the State Government,
and was a liberal benefactor of the town.

10 Boots and shoes, wagons, and sash and blinds, are manu¬
factured here.

11 Named from a daughter of James Dnape.

12 Among the purchasers were Thos. Freeman, in 1736, Timo¬
thy Bagley, in 1737, A. P. and William Cosby, in 1738, Walter
Butler, in 1739, and Jonathan Brewer, in 1770. Wm. North, an
officer of the Revolution, married a daughter of Duane and re¬
sided several years in this town.


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2