626 STEUBEN COUNTY.
HORNBY1—was formed from “Painted Post,” (now Corning,) Jan. 27,1826. Campbell was
taken off in 1831, and a part was annexed to Orange (Schuyler co.) April 11, 1842. It lies near
the center of the e. border of the co., and its surface is mostly a high, rolling upland. The streams
are Dry Run in the n. w., and Post and Borden Creeks in the s., all flowing in deep, narrow
valleys. The soil is a shaly and clayey loam of good quality. Homby" Forks (Hornby p. o.)
contains 2 churches, several manufactories, and 21 dwellings. The first settlement was made in
1814, by Asa and Uriah Nash, from Otsego co.2 There are 4 churches in town.3
HORNELLSYILLE1—was formed from Canisteo, April 1, 1820. Hartsville was taken off
in 1844, and a part of Fremont in 1854. It lies near the center of the w. border of the co. The
surface is mostly a rolling upland, divided into two nearly equal parts by the Canisteo Yalley.
This valley is 1 to 2 mi. wide and is bordered by steep hills 400 to 500 feet high. Canacadea and
Crosby Creeks, flowing through deep valleys from the w., are tributaries of the Canisteo. The soil
is generally a clayey and gravelly loam. Hornellsville, (p.v.,) situated at the junction of
Canisteo River and Canacadea Creek, is an important station on the Erie R. R. and is the southern
terminus of the B. & N. Y. C. R. R. It has 4 churches, 2 newspaper offices, a bank, and 2 flouring
mills. Pop. 1,519. Arkport, (p-. v.,) a station on the B. & N. Y. C. R. R., contains 1 church
and about 50 houses. Almond is partly in this town.5 The first settlement was made by Benj.
Crosby, in 1792.6 The census reports 6 churches.7
.HOWARD—was formed from Bath and Dansville, June 18, 1812. A part of Avoca was
taken off in 1843, and a part of Fremont in 1854. It is an interior town, lying a little n.w. of the
center of the co. Its surface is mostly a rolling upland, forming a part of the dividing ridge be¬
tween Conhocton and Canisteo Rivers. The streams are all small. In the n. e. part are 2 small
ponds. The soil is generally a heavy clay loam. Howard (p.v.) contains 2 churches. Pop.
143. Towlesville (p.v.) contains 2. churches and 15 houses. Buena Yista (p.o.) and
Goffs Mills (p.o.) are hamlets, and South Howard is a p.o. The first settlement was
made in 1806, by" Abraham Johnson.8 There are 5 churches in town.9
JASPER10 —was formed from Troupsburgh and Canisteo, Jan. 24, 1827, and a part was an¬
nexed to Greenwood in 1848. It is situated near the s. w. corner of the co. Its surface is a hilly
and broken upland, the highest summits being nearly 2,000 feet above tide. The streams are small
brooks. The soil is a slaty, gravelly, and clayey loam. Jasper Four Corners (Jasper
p.o.) contains 2 churches. Pop. 222. Jasper Five Corners contains 15 houses. West
Jasper and South Hill are p. offices. Settlement was commenced in 1807, by Nicholas Botz-
man, Ebenezer Spencer, and William "Wooley.11 The first church (Presb.) was organized in 1827;
and the Rev. Geo. Howell was the first preacher. The census reports 5 churches.12
EINDEEY 13—was formed from Erwin, May 12,1837. It lies upon the s. border of the co., e.
of the center. Its surface is a hilly upland, broken by the deep valley of Tioga River, which
extends centrally through the town. The summits of the hills are 400 to 600 feet above the valley,
and most of them are covered with forests. The valley is about 1 mi. wide and is bordered by
steep hillsides. The soil upon the hills is a heavy, shaly loam, and in the valleys a rich alluvium.
Three-fourths of the surface is still covered with forests. Lumbering is extensively pursued.
Undleytowii; (p. v.,) on Tioga River, is a station on the B. & C. R. R. and contains 15 d well-
child of Ebenezer Mather,—all in 1823. Daniel P. Carpenter
opened the first store, in 1825, and built the first sawmill, in
1828; and Henry Frisbee kept the first tavern, in 1849. The
first school was taught by Miss Z. A. Purdy, in 1826.
1 Named from John Hornby, an English landholder to a large
extent in this and other western 'cos.
3 2 Jesse Platt, John Robbins, and Edward Stubbs settled in
tbe town in 1815; John St. John, Amasa Stanton, James S. and
Hiram Gardner, Chester Knowlton, and Aden Palmer in 181.q-
16; Benj. Gardner, Isaac Goodell, Aaron Harwood, and John
Sayer in 1818. The first birth was that of George Stanton; the
first marriage, that of John Bidler and Miss Platt, in 1816; and
the first death, that of John Stanton. Ezra Shaw kept the first
inn; Hon. A. B. Dickinson, the first store; and La Fevre
built the first mill. James C. Leach taught the first school.
3 Bap., Christian, Press., and Wes. Meth.
4 Named from Hon. Geo. Horneli, one of the early settlers.
6 See page 170.
6 Elias Stephens and Geo. Horneli settled in the town in 1793;
Elijah Stephens in 1794; Christopher Hurlbut and Nathan
Cary in 1795; John and Hugh Carney in 1796; Reuben Crosby
In 1797 ; and James Jones in 1800. The first birth was that of
William Stephens, in Dec. 1792 ;*the first marriage, that of Reu¬
ben Crosby and Jenny McQueen, in 1799; and the first death,
that of a child of Judge Horneli. Judge Horneli built the first
saw and grist mills, and kept the first store and inn. The first
school was taught by Abigail Hurlbut, in 1796.
7 2 Presb., Prot. E., Bap., M. E., and R. C.
8 Reuben and Abraham Smith, Abel Bullard, Jacob and Thos.
Bennett, Charles McConnell, Simeon ■ McMurty, and —— Col
grove settled in the town in 1808; Samuel Baker, Joel Bullard,
Benj. Bennett, Ephraim Bumsey, Wm. Allen, Daniel N. Bennett,
Jonas and Seth Rice, and Nathan Cory in 1810-11; and Simeon
Bacon, Wm. Golf, Israel Baldwin, and Rufus Halsey in 1812.
Arethusa Bullard was horn in 1809, and Mrs. Rowley died the
same year,—the first birth and death in town. Henry Kennedy
built the first sawmill, in 1809; James Vaughn, the first grist¬
mill, in 1810; and Benj. Bennett kept the first inn, in 1816.
9 2 Bap., and 1 each Presb., M. E., and Ref. Presb.
19 Named from Sergeant Jasper, noted for his ’courage at the
battle of Fort Moultrie, S. C., June 28, 1776.
11 Adam Botzman and Andrew Craig were also early settlers.
The first birth was that of Sally Botzman; and the first mar¬
riage, that of Samuel Gray and Polly Simpson. N.'cbolss Botz¬
man was the first innkeeper. Amanda Smith taoftkt the first
12 Bap., Presb., Christian, M. E., and Wes. Meth.
13 Named in honor of Col. Eleazur Lindley.