636 SUFEOLK COUNTY.
1787, and Lloyds Neck was set off to Oyster Bay in 1788. This is the w. town of the co. It extends
across the island, and has 10 mi. of coast on Long Island Sound and 6 on Great South Bay. It
also includes about half of Oak Island Beach, and Cedar and several smaller islands in Great
South Bay. The n. shore is deeply indented by Huntington Bay, from which Lloyds Harbor
extends to the w., Huntington Harbor to the s., and Northport Bay to the e. Centerport and
Northport Harbors branch off upon the s. of the latter bay, and two smaller arms upon the n. w.
Great, Little, and Eatons1 Necks are peninsulas formed by these bays and harbors. Groups of low
hills extend through the center, and the surface 2 to 3 mi. from the Sound is broken; but elsewhere it
is comparatively level. The soil in the n. and s. is fertile; but in tbe interior it is unproductive.
The industrial pursuits are various; whaling, fishing, and taking oysters and clams are some of the
leading occupations. Shipbuilding and manufactures receive considerable attention. At the annual
election 7 trustees are chosen, to whose care the management of the town property is committed.2
The town poorhouse is located near Huntington Village. A lighthouse was built upon the point
of Eatons Neck in 1798.2 IS 5l3»tlllgt033, (p. v.,) near the head of Huntington Harbor, contains 5
churches, a flourishing union school,3 2 printing offices, and a limited number of manufacturing
establishments.4 Pop. 1,328. Cold Spring-,5 (Cold Spring Harbor p.o.,) on the e. side of Cold
Spring Harbor, contains 3 churches, 2 shipyards, a woolen factory, and other manufactories. Con¬
siderable whaling business is carried on from this port.7 Pop. 602. Mortliport6 (p. v.) is on the e.
side of Northport Harbor. Shipbuilding is here largely carried on. Pop. 430. Centerport9
(p. v.) contains 1 church and 142 inhabitants; and Vernon Valley7 (p. v.) 1 church and 100
inhabitants. Babylon, (p. v.,) near Great South Bay, contains 2 churches and has a pop. of 470.
This is a favorite resort for hunting and fishing parties. Amityville,8 (p. v.,) in the s. w. part,
contains 1 church and has a pop. of 304; Beer Parli, (p. v.,) a station on the Long Island R. R.,
contains 12houses; Melville,9'inthew. part, 1 church and 108 inhabitants; andComac, (Com-
mack p. o.,) in the e. part, 2 churches and 121 inhabitants. West Ilills, (p. o.,) containing 1
church, and Dix Hills, (p. o.,) are hamlets on the Smithtown turnpike. Settlement began near
the n. coast, in 1653, by a company from Sandwich, Mass.13 In 1660 the settlement was received
under the government of Conn.;. and in 1663 deputies were elected to the General Court at Hart¬
ford. Upon the English conquest, in 1664, the town came reluctantly under the government of New
York. During the Revolution, companies of tories were stationed here, and many outrages were
committed upon those friendly to the independence of the colonies. There are 22 churches in town.14
ISMP 15—was first recognized as a town by the Colonial Government, Nov. 25, 1710, and hy
the State Legislature March 7, 1788.16 It lies w. of the center of the co., and extends from the
s. coast to the middle of the island; it has a coast of about 18 mi. on Great South Bay, and includes
Cap Tree, Oak, and several other islands off the s. coast. Numerous narrow inlets from Great South
Bay divide the coast into distinct “necks,” of which there are 35 within the limits of the town. The
Connetquot River, and Sam-pa-wams or Thompsons Creek, are the principal streams. The surface
is level, except in the n. part, where it is hilly. The brush plains occupy all the central portion; and
near the coast are extensive salt meadows. Upon a tract extending along the hay, and varying in
width from one to three miles, the soil is fertile. This part of the town is thickly settled; hut the re¬
mainder is almost uninhabited. The keeping of the town poor is let to the lowest bidders. Peiia-
taqsiit,17 (p.v.,) near the coast, contains 1 church and has a pop. of 292; Islip, (p. v.,) 2 mi. e.
of Penataquit, contains 3 churches and about 70 houses. Midroaclville, containing 40 houses,
and Say ville, (p.v.,) containing 2 churches and 822 inhabitants, are in the s. e. part. I^ake-
8 Formerly called “Great Cow Harbor.”
9 Formerly called “Little Cow Harbor.”
10 Formerly “ Red-Hook.” 11 Formerly “ West Neck.”
12 Formerly “Svieet Hollow;” called by the Indians “Sun-
18 The names of some of the families residing in the town at the
date of Nicoll’sPatent were Titus, Wood, Brush, Green, Wickes,
Jones, Rogers, Todd, Scudder, Skicfmore, Chichester, Whitson,
Bagly, Meggs, Mathews, Darling, Baldwin, Harnett, Ludlum,
Adams, Smith, Houldsworth, Cranfield, Soper, French, Foster,
Platt, Jarvis, Powell. Cory, Leverich, Williams, Westcote, Lynch,
Benedict, Conkling, Strickling, Tredwell, Porter, Wheeler, Seeley,
and Ketcham. The first school was established in 1657.
u 10 M. E., 4 Presb., 2 Meth. Prot., Bap., Prot. E., Union,
Univ., R. C. and Af. M. E.
15 Named from Islip, Oxfordshire, Eng.
16 This act empowered the inhabitants of the district “ on the
s. side of Long Island, from the westermost limits of the land
of Thos. Willett to the eastermost part of the lands of William
Nicoll, near Blue Point,” to elect town officers.
'17 This name was given hy the Indians to a small stream in the
neighborhood. The village was formerly called “Mechanicsville.”
Named from Gov. Eaton, of New Haven, by whom it was
purchased of the Indians in 1(546. The names “Eatons Manor”
and “Gardiners Neck” have been applied to it.
This lighthouse is 56 ft. high and 138 ft. ahove tide. It was
built at a cost of $9,500.
< This school has an endowment of $7,400, bequeathed hy Na¬
E. C. Prime established a thimble factory at this place in 1837.
and silver thimbles are made daily. There is a wind sawmill in
6 Called by the natives “Nach-a-qua-tuck.”
* Belonging to this port are 5 whaling vessels, with an aggre¬
gate of 2,129 tons.