ULSTER COUNTY. 665
and as a town, March 7, 1788. Plattekill was taken off in 1800. It lies upon the Hudson, in the
s. e. corner of the co. Its surface is broken and hilly. Marlborough Mt., a rocky ridge along the
w. border, is about 1,000 ft. above the river. The streams are principally small brooks flowing
directly into the Hudson. The soil is a slaty loam. Miiton/(p. v.,) upon the Hudson, in the n.
part, contains 5 churches and about 75 dwellings. Marltoorougll, (p. v.,) in tbe s. part,
contains 2 churches, several manufactories,1 and about 50 dwellings. jLaltliagtowsa is a
hamlet. The date and statistics of the early settlement have not been ascertained. The first
church (Presb.) was formed Jan. 1, 1764.2 Antwerp Raspberries are extensively raised.
IEW PALTZ 3—was granted by patent by Gov. Andros, Sept. 29, 1677.® Its bounds were
enlarged April 1, 1775, and a part of Hurley was annexed Feb. 2, 1809. A part of Esopus was
taken off in 1842, a part of Rosendale in 1844, Lloyd in 1845, and a part of Gardiner in 1853. It
is an interior town, lying s. e. of tbe center of the co. Its surface is mostly a hilly upland. The
Shawangunk Mts. extend along the w. border. Paltz Point, the highest summit, is 700 ft. above
tide. Wall Kil flows n. e. through near the center; it is bordered by wide, fertile fiats. The soil
is generally a fine quality of sandy loam. Hay is one of the principal products and exports,
lew Paltz, (p. v.,) upon .Walkill, near the center, contains the New Paltz Academy, 2
churches, and 45 dwellings. Batter ville, ©Mo ville, and Springlown are hamlets.
The first settlements were made by a colony of French Huguenots, a few years before the date of
the patent.6 The oldest church record is in French, and bears date of 1683, There are 3 churches
in town; Ref. Prot. X).*, M. E., and Friends.
OLIVE—was formed from Shandaken, Marbletown, and Hurley, April 15,1823. A part was
annexed to Woodstock, and a part of Woodstock was annexed,, in 1853. It is an interior town,
lying a little n. w. of the center of the co. The surface is mountainous in the N. and w. and hilly
in the s. and e.4 A considerable portion of the mountainous region is too rough for profitable cul¬
tivation. Esopus Creekflowss.E. through the town, a little n. of the eenter. The soil is a sandy,
gravelly, and clayey loam. Lumbering and tanning5 are largely carried on. Sli©kaj»e9 (p. v.,)
upon the creek, n. of the center, contains 2 churches and 20 houses; Samson ville,6 (p. v.,) on
the s. line, a church, tannery, and 30 houses; ©live, (p.v.,) in the n. e. corner, a church and
25 houses; and ©live City, (Olive Bridge p. o.,) on the creek, near the center, a tannery and 20
houses. The first settlements were made in the Esopus Yalley, in 1740.7 The first church (Ref.
Prot. D.) was formed at Shokan, in 1800.8
PliATTEKJXU3—was formed from Marlborough, March 21, 1800. A part of Shawangunk
was annexed April 3, 1846, but was restored March 28,1848. It lies upon the s. border of the co.,
near the s. e. corner. Its surface is broken by a series of ridges of an average elevation of 300 ft.
above the valleys. Its streams are small brooks and creeks. The soil is a fine quality of. sandy
and gravelly loam. Plattekill, (p.v.,) near the s. line, contains a church and 25 dwellings;
Clintondale, (p.v.,) in the n. part, on the line of Lloyd, a church and 20 dwellings; Flint,
(New Hurley p.o.,) in the s.w. corner, on the line of Shawangunk, a church and 15 dwellings,
and Modena, (p. v.,) near the n.w. corner, 16 dwellings. The first settlements were made about
ments made by the Twelve Men were confirmed. Their “ Com¬
mon Book” was to be retained by the Surveyor General until a
convenient time, and then it was to be deposited with the co.
clerk of Ulster co., to be forever preserved. Its records are
deemed authentic evidence in court.
7 The towns of Olive, Rochester, and Denning, corner on a
hill which is about 2,700 feet above tide. Shokan Point is
about 3,100 feet high; and the average elevation of the low¬
lands is 800 feet above tide.
8 There are 4 extensive tanneries in town, one of which,
owned by Pratt & Samson, is the largest oak tannery in the co.
It produces 70,000 sides of sole leather annually.
9 Pronounced Shokan >.
10 Named from Gen. Henry A. Samson.
11 Geo. Middagh settled in 1740; Samuel Cox, in 1742; William
Nottingham, in 1745,—all near Olive Bridge; John Crispell, in
1747, a little e. of Shokan; Hendrick Crispell, at Shokan, in
1760; John Coons, in 1775; and Thos. Bush, in 1755, s. of
Olive City. The first inn was kept at Olive Bridge, hy Conrad
Du Bois; and the first store, sawmill, and gristmill, by Lemuel
Winchell, at Winchells Falls. Three sons of Frederick Bush
were carried off by the Indians in 1781. Two were killed, and
the third returned. The early history of this town is blended
with that of Marbletown.
72 The census reports 4 churches; 2 Ref. Prot.D., Bap., M.E.
73 Pronounced Plaw-ta-kill, and signifies “Flat Brook.”
About 15,000 wheelbarrows and $40,000 worth of agricultu¬
ral implemeuts are manufactured annually.
8 The census reports 9 churches in town; 2 Presb., 2 M. E.,
2 Eriends, Prot. E., Bap., and Christian..
Pronounced New Pawltz, and named from Pfalz, the Ger¬
Deyo, Abraham Hasbroecq, Andries Le Eevre, Jean Brocq,
Pierre Deyo, Lawrens Beverie, Anthony Crespel, Ahraham
Du Bois, Hugo Erere, Isaac Du Bois, and Simon Le Eevre.
decided upon settling here. They bought the land of the In¬
dians May 26,1677, and soon after they settled in their new
homes. In 1728, the owners of the patent intrusted its care to
trustees, known as “ The Twelve Men.” These trustees were
elected annually, until the organization of the town under the
State Government. The Twelve Men in 1785 were Simon Du
Bois, Jacobus Hasbrouck, Johannis Freer, Jacob Hasbrouck,
jr., Abraham Donaldson, Abraham Eltinge, Petris Hasbrouck,
Samuel Bevier, Benjamin Deyoe, Isaac Le Fever, Matthew Le
Fever, and Abraham Ein. By act of March 31, 1785, the allot¬