Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 689
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


becoming one of the most important agricultural products. Few counties in the State surpass this
in the quality or quantity of apples and peaches annually produced. A strip of land bordering
upon Lake Ontario, and extending from Niagara River to the Oswego, seems peculiarly adapted
to the cultivation of apples and peaches, and is rapidly becoming one of the most important fruit¬
growing regions in the State. In Wayne co. $25,000 worth of dried fruit is annually prepared.
Peppermint and tobacco are raised along the valley of Mud Creek.

The county seat is located at the village of Lyons, near the center of the co. The courthouse is
a fine brick building, fronting Church St. It has an Ionic portico, and is surmounted by a
large dome
.1 The jail is a commodious brick building, in the w. part of the village. It contains
rooms for the jailer’s residence, and is one of the best arranged and conducted establishments of
the kind in the State. The county clerk’s office is a fireproof building, fronting Pearl St., a little
s. of the courthouse. The poorhouse is situated upon a farm of 130 acres 1J mi. w. of the court¬
house. The average number of inmates is 67, supported at a weekly cost of $1.55 each. A«chool
is taught throughout the year. The farm yields a revenue of $1,400. The buildings are insuffi¬
cient for the accommodation of the inmates; but the institution seems to be well arranged and
well kept.

Six weekly newspapers are now published in the co.2

The Erie Canal extends through the s. tier of towns; and along its course are the most populous
and thriving villages of the co
.3 The direct branch of the N. Y. Central R. R. between Syra¬
cuse and Rochester extends, along the course of the canal, through Savannah, Galen, Lyons,

1 The first courthouse was a brick edifice, erected soon after
the organization of the co. It was superseded, in 1854-55, by
the present structure, built of brick. The building committee
of the present courthouse were .John Adams, Stephen Marshall,
and F. E. Cornwell. The first officers of the co. were John S.
First Judge; T. Armstrong, Sheriff; Wm. II. Adams,
District Attorney; I. J. Richardson, Co. Clerk; and John S.

2 The Palmyra Register, the first paper published in the co.,

was commenced Nov. 26,1817, by Timothy C. Strong.
It was continued under various titles until 1823, when
it was published as
The Western Farmer and Canal Advocate, and passed into the
hands of Pomeroy Tucker, who changed its name to .
The "Wayne Sentinel. It has recently passed into the
hands of Wm. N. Cole.

The I/yons Republican was commenced Aug. 3,1821, by George
Lewis. It was discontinued in Feb. 1822.

The Lyons Advertiser was commenced May 31,1822, by Hiram
T. Day. It underwent various changes in name and
publishers. It was Irablished as
The Wayne Co. Patriot d& Lyons Advertiser, by E. J. & W. W.

The Western Argus, by Barker & Chapman;

The Western Argus, by Chapman & Chapin and Ashley & Co.;
The Lyons Argus, by Ashley & Co.; E. Jewell, editor;

The I/yons Argus, by Marsh & Poucher;

The Western Argus, by Chas. Poucher. He sold to Wm.Van Camp.

It came into the hands of Chas. Poucher again in 1842;
The Lyons Gazette, and was published by S.W. Russell from 1849
to 1853, when it was sold to Wm.Van Camp, and in 1855
or ’56 it was merged in The Wayne Democratic Press.
The Palmyra Freeman was commenced March 11,1828, by D. D.
Stephenson. It soon after passed into the hands of J.
A. Hadley, who removed the press to Lyons and
changed the name to
The Countryman. Myron Holley became connected with it as
associate editor. In 1831 it was suspended for a time,
and afterward resumed as
The Lyons American, by Myron Holley. In 1835 it was pub¬
lished by Wm. H. Childs. In 1836 it was removed to
Clyde and published as
The Clyde Gazette, by Dennis Card, until 1838.

The Reflector, mo., was commenced at Palmyra in 1828 by O.

Dogberry, jr. It was discontinued in 1830.

The Newark Republican was commenced at Newark in Nov.

1829, by Jeremiah O. Balch. It was discontinued in 1831.
The Clyde Standard was published about 6 mo. in 1830 by E.
P. Moon.

The Western Spectator and Wayne Advertiser was commenced at
Palmyra Jan. 9,1830, by Luther Howard and Erastus
Shepard. In 1831 its name was changed to
The Spectator and Anti-Masonic Star. It was removed to
Rochester the same year and merged in The Anti-
Masonic Enquirer.

The Palmyra Whig was commenced in Feb. 1838, by Wm. N.
and Sam’l Cole, It was removed to Lyons by Wm. N.
Cole, and its name changed to
The Wayne County Whig. In the fall of 1850 it passed into the
hands of Williams
& Gavitt. In the spring of 1852
they sold it to Silas A. Andrews, who continued it a
few months and sold it toWm. Van Marter; and in

Nov. of the same year it passed into the hands of Rodney
L. Adams. In Sept. 1856, its name was changed to
Tlie Jjyons Republican; and April 30,1859, Mr. Adams
sold it to W. T. Tinsley, its present publisher.

The Wayne Standard was commenced at Newark in June, 1838,
by David M. Keeler. In Aug. 1839, it was sold to Gen.
Barney T. Partridge, J. P. Bartle, and S. Culver, who
changed its name to
The New TEgis, Stephen Culver, editor. In Jan. 1840, it was

sold to Norton, and discontinued in May following.

In July following it was revived as
The Wayne Standard, by D. M. Keeler, and published until 1843,
when it passed into the hands of II. L. Winauts, and in
about 1 year was discontinued It was revived soon
after, as

The Newark Courier, by David Fairchild. It was successively
published by Wm.K.Creaeque.and B. F. Jones as
The Newark Journal; and in 1854 by G. D. A. Bridgman, wli o
changed its name to
The Newark Whig. In Sept. 1856, it passed into the hands of

G. T. White, who changed its name to
Tlie Newark Weekly Coarier, and still continues
its publication.

The Palmyra Courier was commenced May 28,1843, by Frederic
Morley. It passed into the hands of J. C. Benedict.who
changed its name to
The Palmyra Democrat. It was published again as

The Palmyra Courier, by Benedict, from about 1851 to '54.

Mr. Benedict sold it to Beebe, and in a short time

afterward it passed into the hands of E. S. Averill, who
changed its name to
The Palmyra American, and subsequently again to
Tlie Palmyra Courier, under which name Mr. Averill
still continues its publication.

The Clyde Eagle was commenced in 1844 by B. Frazee. Tt was
successively published by - Dryer, Stephen Salis¬

bury, and in 1847 by Rev. Cbas. G. Acly and William
Tompkins, who changed its name to
The Clyde Telegraph. It afterward passed into the hands of
Rev. W. W. Storiker, and soon after to Wm. R. Fowle,
and in a short time it was discontinued.

The Clyde Industrial Times was commenced in March, 1850, hy
& Smith. It soon passed into the hands of Jos.-A.
Pain. Its name was changed in 1851 to
The Clyde "Weekly Times, under which title it is now
published, by Joseph A. Pain.

The Northern Methodist Protestant was published by an asso
ciation at Clyde in 1849; Rev. W. W. Storcker, editor.
The Wayne Banner was published at. Wolcott in 1850 hy John

The Farming Mirror was commenced at Lyons in July, 1858,
by R. L. Adams & Co., and w-as published only one

The Wayne Democratic Press was commenced at
Palmyra in 1856, by P. Tucker, and removed to Lyons,
replacing the Lyons Gazette. It is now published by
William Van Camp.

8 The enlarged canal crosses Seneca River on the e. border of
the co., on an aqueduct built upon 31 arches of 22 feet span
each. It crosses Mud Creek, a little w. of Lyons, upon an aque¬
duct of 5 arches, and again crosses the same stream, n. of Pal¬
myra, upon an aqueduct of 3 arches.



This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2