YATES COUNTY. 719
came in. The first framed house in the co. was erected for her, on a farm of 1000 acres set apart
for her especial use. Eor a time the colony flourished; but soon neighbors began to arrive, and
jealousies were engendered, and a series of persecutions commenced, which seriously retarded the
progress of the colony and embittered the last days of the “Friend.”1
IE ARRINGTON—was formed from Wayne, (Steuben co.,) April 6,1822. It lies upon the E.
bank of Crooked Lake, in the s. part of the co. Its surface consists principally of a high ridge,
sloping gradually upward from Crooked Lake to a height of 600 to 800 ft. Big Stream flows
through the s. e. corner, in a deep ravine bordered by steep declivities. From Crooked Lake the
ascent is nearly uniform for 2 miles; and the summit of the ridge is rolling. The soil is a slaty
gravel mixed with clay, and is generally productive. Barrington,2 (p. v.,) near the center,
contains 1 church and 25 houses. The first settlement was made in 1800, by Jacob Teeples.3 The
Rev. Jas. Osgood (Bap.) was the first preacher. There are two churches in town; Bap. and M. E.
BENTON4—was formed from Jerusalem, Feb. 12,1803, as “ Vernon.” Its name was changed
to “Snell” April 6, 1808, and to Benton April 2, 1810. Milo was taken off in 18.18, and a part
of Torrey in 1851. It is the n. e. corner town of the co. Its surface is rolling and gradually
descending toward the n. and e. From Seneca Lake the land slopes upward for a mile, and to
a height of about 300 ft., where it spreads out in a beautiful undulating region. The valley of
Crooked Lake, 200 ft. below the summits of the table land, extends about 1 mi. into the s. part
of the town. Keshong Creek passes through the n. e. corner. The soil is clay along the lake,
but upon the hills it is a deep, rich, clayey and gravelly loam, well adapted to almost every branch
of agriculture. Bellona, (Benton p.o.,) situated on Keshong Creek, in the n. e. part, contains
2 churches, (pop.205;) and Benton Center (p.v.) 2 churches and 28 dwellings. Fergn-
sons Corners (p. o.) is a hamlet. The village of Penn Yan lies partly within this town.
The first settlement was made in the spring of 1789, by Levi Benton, from Catskiil, Greene co.6
The first religious meetings were held in the barn of Levi Benton, in 1792, and were conducted by
Ezra Cole. There are now 4 churches in town.6
ITALY—was formed from Naples, Feb. 15, 1815. It is the s. w. corner town of the co. Its
surface consists of three distinct ridges, bach attaining an elevation of about 1000 ft. above Canan¬
daigua Lake. These ridges are divided by the valley of Flint Creek—known as Italy^ Hollow—
and West River Hollow. The valleys are generally narrow and bordered by steep and often
precipitous sides. The summits of the ridges are broken uplands. The soil is a slaty and
gravelly loam and is best adapted to pasturage. Italy Mill (p. v.) is situated in the s. e. corner;
and Italy Hollow (p. o.) on Flint Creek, s. of the center. The first settlement in the town
was made by John Mower, at West Hollow, in 1793.7 There are 4 churches m town.8
JERUSALEM—was organized Jan. 1789, and Benton was taken off in 1803. A small part
of Steuben co., in the forks of the lake, was annexed Feb. 25, 1814. -It lies on the w. bank of
Crooked Lake and is the central town in the co. Its surface is divided into two distinct ridges
by the w. branch of the lake and its inlet. The e. ridge terminates on the s. in Bluff Point, a
promontory, 8 mi., in extent, lying between the two branches of Crooked Lake; and it extends on
the n. into the town of Benton. It is about 400 ft. high and IJ to 2 mi. wide, and is bordered by
steep declivities. The continuity of this ridge is broken by a remarkable depression extending
Gorham, in selling a picked township, to require the purchaser
to draw for another township at the same price. Robinson and
Hathaway, after purchasing Jerusalem, drew what is now the
town of Geneseo, Livingston co. The Friend objected to her
people ‘ trading and buying property at a distance,’ and, fearing
her displeasure, they prevailed upon Mr. Phelps to release them
from the bargain, which he was quite willing to do, as he had
ascertained the value of the township.”—Turner’s Hist.
1 She was several times prosecuted for blasphemy, and was
harassed by lawsuits, which were chiefly instigated by those who
had once been her followers and Mends.—Turner’s Hist, of The
Phelps and Gorham Purchase.
2 Sometimes called “ Warsaw.”
8 The next settlers were Thomas Bronson, from Conn.; Wm.
Coolbaugh, from N. J.; Jonathan Davis, William Ovenshire, Oliver
Parker, Matthew Knapp, Joseph Fenton, John Kriss,and Henry
Spry. The first school was taught by A. C. West, in 1810. Jacob
, Teeples keptthe first tavern, in 1804, on the Bath Road; and Elijah
Townsend, the first store. John Carr erected the first gristmill,
and Wm. Cummins the first sawmill.
4 Named from Levi Benton, the first settler.
6 T. Spencer settled at Bellona in 1790; George Wheeler, Ro¬
bert Chisson, Jas Scofield, Otis Barden, and Daniel Brown in
1791; and Ezra Cole, Eliphalet Hull, and Samuel and Cyrus Buell,
with their families, in 1792. The first birth was that of Matilda
Buell, in Sept. 1792; the first marriage, that of Thos. Barden and
Olive Benton, in 1791; and the first deaths, those of Ephraim
and Samuel Wheeler, who both died in the fall of 1792. The first
sawmill was built by Dr. Caleb Benton, in 1790, at Bellona. The
first store was kept by Luther Benton and James Stoddard, in
1799, and the first inn by Ezra Cole, in 1800. John Coates taught
the first school, at Benton Center, in the winter of 1794. The
first town meeting was held at the house of Daniel Brown.
6 Two M. E., Bap., and Presb.
1 Josiah Bradish, Seth Sprague, Fisher and Isaac Whitney,
William Dunton, Edward Low, William Clark, Archibald Arm¬
strong, Card Knowles, John Armstrong, Morris and Hastings,
settled in 1794 and ’95, and Nathan Scott and Andrew Robson in
1809. The first birth was that of Polly Mower, in Oct. 1795; and
a child of Mr. Mower was the first that died. The first marriage
was that of Jabez Metcalf and Nancy Torrey. Nancy Torrey
taught the first school, in 1803, at West Hollow. Elias Lee kept
the first tavern, at the same place, in 1806; Abraham Maxfield
the first store, at Italy Hollow; Asahel Stone, jr., erected the first
saw and grist mill, at the same place, at an early date.
8 Two Bap., M. E., and Presb.