New Yorkshire Gazetteer (1828) page 35
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

take of Hang West, 1 mile W. from

Bowcliffe, W. R. (5). See Bram-

Bower H ill, W.R. (8) a hamlet in
the township of Oxspring, parish of
Penistone, wapentake of Staincross, 2
miles E. from Penistone.

Bowes, N. R. (1) a parish and
township, in the wapentake of Gilling
West, 6 miles W. from Greta Bridge;
inhabitants, 1095 ; a perpetual curacy,
patron, C. Harrison, Esq. Here is
free grammar school, founded by W.
Hutchinson, Esq., 1693. Bowes is si-
tuated on the edge of Stanemoor, in the
north-west angle of the county, on the
banks of the river Greta. It is much ex-
posed to wind and weather, and consists
principally of one street, about three
quarters of a mile in length; it was for-
merly a Roman station, the Lavatris of
the fifth Iter of Antoninus. In Camden’s
time, a stone with an inscription dedica-
tory to the emperor Adrian, was used
as the communion table to the parish
church. Here are the remains of
castle, supposed to have been built by
Alan, first Earl of Richmond, soon after
the conquest; the walls form a square,
and are about fifty feet in height. About
two miles from Bowes, is a singular
curiosity, called God’s bridge, formed
by a natural though rude arch of lime-
stone rock, over the river Greta; this
bridge is used occasionally as the com-
mon carriage road over the river. On
the turnpike road from Bowes to
Brough, once a Roman military way,
are two inns, the Old and the New Spital
House, and at the edge of the county,
are the remains of a Roman camp 300
yards square, with an intrenchment.
Bowes has been rendered celebrated by
Mallet’s beautiful and pathetic ballad
of Edwin and Emma, founded on the
mutual attachment of a youthful pair
in humble life, whose names were Ro-
ger Wrightson and Martha Railton;
the curate of Bowes inserted in his
register, that disappointed in their affec-
tions, this unfortunate couple both died
of love, and were buried in the same
grave, March 15, 1714. This parish
contains the township of Boldron and
Gilmonby ; entire population, 1438.

Bowforth, N. R. (2) a hamlet in
the township of Welburn, parish of
Kirkby Moorside, wapentake of Ry-
dale, 6 miles E. from Iielmsley.

Bowland Forest, W.R. (4) a
township in the parish of Slaidburn,
wapentake of Staincliffe, 4 miles W.
from Slaidburn; inhabitants, 597. This
township, as its name implies, extends
over a large tract of country on the
borders of Lancashire, and though now
principally enclosed, is still ranged by
herds of deer. To the south is Brows-
holme Hall, the seat of Thomas Parker,
Esq. who has the jurisdiction of Bow-
land Forest, as master forester, which
office has been many ages in possession
of his family.

Bowling, W. R. (4) a township in
the parish of Bradford, wapentake of
Morley, 2 miles S. from Bradford ;
inhabitants, 5579. Bowling Hall, the
seat of I. G. Paley, Esq., is an an-
cient and stately mansion with a centre
and two wings ; it was the head quar-
ters of the Earl of Newcastle during
the siege of Bradford, in 1642.

Bowthorpe, E.R. (5) a hamlet in
the township of Mentliorpe, parish of
Hemingborough, wapentake of Ouse
and Derwent, 5 miles E. from Selby.

Bowthwaite, W. R. (5) a ham-
let in the township of Fountains Earth,
parish of Kirkby Makeard, wapentake
of Claro, 5 miles N.W. from Pateley

Boyn Hill, W. R. (8) a hamlet
in the township of Crigglestone, parish
of Sandal Magna, wapentake of Ag-
brigg, 4 miles S. from Wakefield.

Boynton, E. R. (6) a parish and
township in the wapentake of Dickering,

3 miles W. from Bridlington ; inhabi-
tants, 123; a vicarage, value 7
l. i4s.2d.;


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.