wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill,
4§ miles E. from Doncaster.
Brampton en le Morthen, W.R.
(8) a township in the parish of Tree-
ton, wapentake of Strafforth and Tick-
hill, 5 miles S. E. from Rotherham;
Brampton Bierlow, W. R. (8) a
township in the parish of Wath upon
Dearn, wapentake of Strafforth and
Tickhill, 6 miles N. from Rotherham ;
inhabitants, 1263. In this township,
situated on the Dove and Dearn canal,
are several iron works, particularly a
new extensive establishment, called Mil-
ton Furnace. Here also are New Hill,
the seat of John Naylor, Esq.; and the
ancient mansion of Rainber Park, now
occupied as a farm-house, formerly a
seat of the Fitzwilliam family.
Brampton Tilley, W.R. (8). See
Brampton Hall, N. R. (5). See
B ram wit h Kirk, W.R. (8). See
Bramwith Sand, W. R. (8) a
hamlet in the township and parish of
Barmby upon Dunn, wapentake of
Strafforth and Tickhill, 5 miles S.W.
Brandesburton, E.R. (6) a parish
and township, in the wapentake of Hol-
derness, 8 miles N.E. from Beverley;
inhabitants, 562; a rectory, value 24/.
135. 4d.; patron, St. Johns College,
Cambridge; fairs, May 14, and on Wed-
nesday once a fortnight. This thriving
and pleasant village is situated on the
road from Hull to Scarborough. In
1601 the manor of Brandesburton was
left to the Lord Mayor and Aldermen
of London, by Lady Dacres, in trust
for Emanuel Hospital, Westminster,
founded for the benefit of 20 old maids
and bachelors; a merciful recollection
of this unhappy part of the community.
This parish contains the township of
Moortown. Entire population, 591.
Brandfield House, W. R. (8) a
small hamlet in the township and parish
of Sprotborough, wapentake of Straf-
forth and Tickhill, 4 miles W. from
Brandon, W. R. (5) a hamlet in
the township of Wigton,parish of Hare-
wood, wapentake of Skyrack, 5 miles
N. E. from Leeds.
Brandy Car, W.R. (8) a hamlet
in the township of Alverthorpe, parish
of Wakefield, wapentake of Agbrigg, 2
miles N.W. from Wakefield.
Branieks, W. R. (4) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Low Ben-
tham, wapentake of Eweross, 14 miles
N.W. from Settle.
Bransby, N. R. (5) a parish and
township with Stearsby, in the wapen-
take of Bulmer, 6 miles E. from Eas-
ingwold ; inhabitants, 277; a rectory,
value 9l. 8s. \\%d.; patron, Francis
Cholmley, Esq. who has a handsome
seat here, called Bransby Hall.
Bransdale East Side, N. R. (2)
a township in the parish of Kirkby
Moorside, wapentake of Rydale, 10
miles N. E, from Helmsley; inhabi-
Bransdale West Side, N.R. (2)
a township in the parish of Kirkdale,
wapentake of Rydale, 10 miles N.E.
from Helmsley; inhabitants, 286.
Brantingham, or Thorpe Brant-
ingham, E.R. (6) a parish and town-
ship in the wapentake of Howdenshire,
2 miles S.E. from South Cave; inhabi-
tants, 174 ; a vicarage, value 12/. 9s.
2d.; patron, the Dean and Chapter of
Durham. This manor belongs to the
Bishop of Durham. The parish con-
tains the township of Ellerker. Entire
Branton Green, W.R. (5) a ham-
let in the township of Dunsforth, parish
of Aldborough, wapentake of Claro, 4
miles S. E. from Boroughbridge.
Bra wath, N.R. (2) a hamlet in
the township of Skutterskelfe, parish of
Stokesley, wapentake of Langbarugh,
2 miles W. of Stokesley.