bitants, 321; here is a chapel of ease
to Middleton. In this place are several
tumuli, of various sizes, supposed to be
of British origin, and a large mount,
called Cropton Castle.
Crosby, N.R. (2) a township in the
parish of Leak, wapentake of Aller ton -
shire, 3 miles S. E. from Northallerton;
inhabitants, 39 ; a mile to the north is
the small hamlet of Crosby Cote.
Crosby Hall, N. R. (2). See
Thornton le Beans, parish of Ot-
Crosett, N. R. (2) a hamlet in the
township of Bilsdale East Side, parish of
Helmsley, wapentake of Rydale, 8 miles
N. from Helmsley.
Crosland, South, W. R. (7) a
township in the parish of Almondbury,
wapentake of Agbrigg, 4 miles S. W.
from Huddersfield; inhabitants, 1583;
contiguous is the hamlet of North Cros-
land. Crosland Hall was an ancient
seat of the Beaumonts, in which Sir
Robert Beaumont was slain in a deadly
feud with the Ellands and Lockwoods,
in the reign of Edward III. See Elland.
Cross Butts, N. R. (3) a small
hamlet in the township of Ruswarp,
parish of Whitby, wapentake of Whitby
Strand, 2 miles S. W. from Whitby.
Cross Flatts, W. R. (4) a hamlet
in the township and parish of Bingley,
wapentake of Skyrack, 1 mile N.W.
Cross Gates, W. R. (5) a hamlet
in the township of Seacroft, parish of
Whitchurch, wapentake of Skyrack, 4
miles E. from Leeds.
Cross Hills, W. R. (4) a hamlet
in the township of Glusburn, parish of
Kildwick, wapentake of Staincliffe, 5
miles N. W. from Keighley.
Cross House, N. R. (1) a small
hamlet in the township of Burton with
Walden, parish of Aysgarth, wapen-
take of Hang West, 3 miles S. from
CrosI Royd, W. R. (8) a small
hamlet in the township of Thurlstone,
parish of Penistone, wapentake of Stain-
cross, 1 mile W. from Penistone.
Cross Stone, W. R. (7) a hamlet
in the township of Stansfield, parish of
Halifax, wapentake of Morley, 8 miles
W. from Halifax ; a ehapelry to Hali-
fax ; it takes its name from an ancient
stone cross, now decayed; it is situated
on the borders of Lancashire.
Crossthwaite, N.R. (1) a small
hamlet in the township of Holwick, pa-
rish of Romaldkirk, wapentake of Gilling
West, 5 miles N. W. from Romaldkirk.
Crow Nest, W. R. (7). See Hip-
Crow Nest, W. R. (8). See
Crow Garth, E.R. (6) a small
hamlet in the township and parish of
Beeford, wapentake of Holderness, 6
miles N. W. from Hornsea.
Crow Trees, W. R. (4). See
Cubeck, N. R. (1) a hamlet in the
township of Bainbridge, parish of Ays-
garth, wapentake of Hang West, 2 miles
S. E. from Askrigg.
Cubley, W. R. (8) a hamlet in the
township and parish of Penistone, wa-
pentake of Staincross, 1 mile S. from
Cuckolds Haven, W. R. (8) a
small hamlet in the township and pa-
rish of Firbeck, wapentake of Strafforth
and Tickhill, 4 miles S, from Tickhill.
Cudworth, W. R. (8) a township
in the parish of Royston, wapentake of
Staincross, 3§ miles N. E. from Barns-
ley ; inhabitants, 487.
Culling worth, W.R. (4) a ham-
let in the township and parish of Bing-
ley, wapentake of Skyrack, 3 miles S.
Cumberworth, Half or Upper,
W.R. (8) a township in the parishes of
Kirkburton and Emley, wapentake of
Agbrigg, 5i miles N.W. from Peni-
stone; inhabitants, 1120.
Cumberworth, Nether, W.R.
(8) a township in the parish of Silk-