wapentake of Hang East, 3 miles S.
from Richmond; inhabitants, 23. Here
was a priory of Benedictine Monks,
foundedjn the year 1100 ; the walls of
the chapel, a tower, and some few frag-
ments yet remain.
Saint Peters, Liberty of. See
Saint Simons Well, N. R.r (1) a
hamlet in the township of Little Scraf-
ton, parish of Coverham, wapentake of
Hang West, 4 miles, S. W. from Mid-
Saint Trinian, N.R. (1) a hamlet
in the township of Easby, parish of
Richmond, wapentake of Gilling West,
1 mile E. from Richmond.
Sallay Abbey, W. R. (4). See
Saltagh Grange, E. R. (9) a ham-
let in the township and parish of Kay-
ingham, wapentake of Holderness, 5
miles W. from Patrington.
Saltburn, N. R. (2) a hamlet in
the township of Brotton, parish of Skel-
ton, wapentake of Langbarugh, 6 miles
N. E. from Guisborough. A small fish-
ing village, which possesses several re-
quisites for a fashionable bathing place,
as agreeable walks, picturesque rocks,
and pleasing views.
Salterforth, W. R. (4) a town-
ship in the parish of Barnoldswick, wa-
pentake of Staincliffe, 10 miles S.W.
from Skipton; inhabitants, 686.
Salterhebble, W. R. (7) a ham-
let in the township of Skircoat, parish
of Halifax, wapentake of Morley, 2
miles S. from Halifax.
Saltersbrook, W. R. (7) a ham-
let in the township of Thurlstone, pa-
rish of Penistone, wapentake of Stain-
cross, 7 miles S. W. from Penistone.
The principal dwelling in this place is an
inn which stands on the extreme verge
of the county, on the high road from
Barnsley to Manchester.
Saltersgate, N.R. (3) a hamlet
in the township of Lockton, parish of
Middleton, wapentake of Pickering
Lythe, 12 miles W. from Scarborough.
In this place is the noted inn, called the
Waggon and Horses.
Saltmarshe, E. R. (8) a township
in the parish of Howden, wapentake of
Howdenshire, 4 miles S. E. from How-
den; inhabitants, 179. Saltmarshe
Hall is the seat of Philip Saltmarshe,
Esq. whose ancestors have flourished
here, it is said, from the conquest.
Salton, N. R. (5) a parish and
township in the wapentake of }Rydale,
7 miles N. W. from Malton; inhabi-
tants,148 ; a vicarage, value4/.105.lid.;
patron, G. W. Dowker, Esq. Salton
Hall is the seat of G. W. Dowker, Esq.
The parish contains the township of
Bra why. Entire population, 536.
Saltonstall, W. R. (7) a hamlet
in the township of Warley, parish of
Halifax, wapentake of Morley, 4 miles
W. from Halifax.
Salutation, High and Low, N.R.
(2). See Kirkby Fleetham.
Sancton, E. R. (6) a parish and
township with Houghton, in the divi-
sion of Hunsley Beacon, 2§ miles S W.
from Market Weighton; inhabitants,
534 ; a vicarage, value 6l. Is. 10§d. ;
patron, John Broadley, Esq. The pa-
rish contains the township of North
Cliffe; entire population, 423.
Sandal Kirk, W.R. (8) a parish
and township in the wapentake of Straf-
forth and Tickhill, 4§ miles N. E. from
Doncaster; inhabitants, 192; a rec-
tory, value 9/. Os. 3|d.; patron, the
King. Here is a grammar school,
founded in 1626, by the Rev. Robert
Wood. In the chancel of the church,
is the monument of John Rokeby,
Archbishop of Dublin, who ordered his
bowels to be buried at Dublin, his heart
at Halifax, and his body at this, his na-
tive place. Kirk Sandal Grange is the
seat of George Martin, Esq.
Sandal Magna, W.R. (8) a pa-
rish and township in the wapentake of
Agbrigg, 2 miles S. from Wakefield;
inhabitants, 188; a vicarage, value
13/. 7s. 8d.; patron, the King. Sandal
is chiefly remarkable for its ancient