Abbcyshrule, par. and vil., S. co. Longford—par.,
2340 ac., pop. 540. The vil. is 10 miles S. of Edge-
worthstown, on the Royal Canal; P.O.
Abbeyside, a suburb of Dungarvan, co. Waterford.
Abbey St Bathans, par., hamlet, and seat, NE.
Berwickshire, on river Whiteadder, 4½ miles SW. of
Grants House sta. and 7 miles NW. of Duns, 4797 ac.,
pop. 250; part of the chapel of its 12th century nunnery
is now the parish church.
Abbeystead, hamlet, N. Lancashire, 7 miles SE.
Abbeystrand, hamlet, Tullagh par., SW. co. Cork, 7
miles SW. of Skibbereen, on Baltimore Bay.
Abbeystrowry, par., containing part of Skibbereen
town, S. co. Cork, 9374 ac., pop. 3957.
Abbey Town, vil. withry. sta. (Abbey), W. Cumber¬
land, 4½ miles E. of Silloth ; P.O.
Abbeytown, ry. sta., in co. and 1 m. S. of Roscommon.
Abbey Wood, hamlet with ry. sta., Erith par., W.
Kent, 11 miles W. of London.
Abbotrnle, ancient par. with ruined church, and seat,
SW. Roxburghshire, 6 miles S. by W. of Jedburgh;
divided, in 1777, between Southdean and Hobkirk pars.
Abbots, tithing, Portbury par., E. Somerset, 6½ miles
NW. of Bristol.
Abbots Ann, par., N. Hants, on river Ann, 2½ miles
SW. of Andover, 3396 ac., pop. 675 ; P.O.
Abbots Astlcy, par., S. Shropshire, 2½ miles N. of
Bridgnorth, 3228 ac., pop. 623.
Abbots Barton, seat, near Winchester, Hants.
Abbots Bickington, par., S. Devon, on r. Torridge,
2 miles SW. of Umberleigh ry. sta., 1078 ac., pop. 47.
Abbots Bromley, par. and town, E. Staffordshire, 6
miles NE. of Rugeley ry. sta., 9391 ac., pop. 1460 ; P.O.
Abbotsbury, par. and fishing vil., SW. Dorset, 9
miles SW. of Dorchester, 5616 ac., pop. 979 ; P.O., T.O.
Market-day, Thursday. It has remains of abbey (1044).
A. Castle, seat of the Earl of Ilchester, is in the vicinity.
Abbotsford.—the well-known residence of Sir Walter
Scott, NW. Roxburghshire, on right bank of r. Tweed,
opposite Abbotsford Ferry sta., 2 miles W. of Melrose.
•—2. Abbotsford, q.s. par. in S. of Glasgow, pop. 8891.
Abbotsford Ferry, sta. on North British Ry., Selkirk¬
shire, opposite Abbotsford, 3½ miles SE. of Galashiels.
Abbots Hall, seat, 3½ m. NW. of Braintree, Essex.
Abbotshall, coast par., SE. Fifeshire, containing
Linktown, a S. suburb of Kirkcaldy, 4135 ac., pop. 6435.
Abbotsham, par., N. Devon, 1½ mile NW. of Bide¬
ford, 1758 ac., pop. 469 ; P.O.
Abbotshill, hamlet, on N. border of Dorset, 5 miles
SW. of Yeovil.
Abbots Mill, seat, near Hemel Hempstead, Herts.
Abbotside, High and Low, 2 townships, North-
Riding Yorkshire, about 2 miles NW. of Hawes, at head
of river Eure—H. A., 6319 ac. (31 water), pop. 493; L.
A., 2036 ac., pop. 130. Abbotside Common, a moor
common to the 2 townships, consists of 9701 ac.
Abbots Isle, small island, in Stonefield Bay, Muck-
airn par., Argyllshire, on S. side of Loch Etive.
Abbots Hers well, par., E. Devon, 2 miles S. of
Newton Abbot, 1461 ac., pop. 435 ; P.O.
Abbots Langley, par. and hamlet, SW. Herts, near
Kings Langley sta., and 3½ miles N. of Watford, 5281
ac. (26 water), pop. 2989; P.O., T.O.
Abbots Leigh, par., E. Somerset, on river Avon, 3½
miles NW. of Bristol, 2228 ac., pop. 364; P.O.
Abbots Lench, or Mob Leneli, hamlet, Fladbury
par., E. Worcestershire, 5 miles NW. of Evesham, 870
ac., pop. 42.
Ahhotsley, par., S. Huntingdonshire, 4½ miles SE.
of St Neots, 2110 ac., pop. 461; P.O.
Ahhots Morton, par., E. Worcestershire, 5 miles
SW. of Alcester ry. sta., 1420 ac., pop. 212.
Ahbots Ripton, par., vil., and seat, in co. and 4
miles N. of Huntingdon, 3956 ac., pop. 392.
Ahbots Koothing, or Ahhess Boding, par., W.
Essex, 5 miles N. of Ongar, 1618 ac., pop. 231; P.O.
Ahhots Salford, vil., Warwickshire, 1 mile from
Salford Priors ry. sta.
Ahhotston, tithing, Whiteparish par., S. Wilts, 2
miles S. of Dean sta., and 8 miles SE. of Salisbury.
Ahhotstone, ham., 2½ m. NW. of Alresford, Hants.
Ahhotstown House, seat, 6 miles NW. of Dublin.
Ahhotstreet, hamlet, E. Dorset, 2 miles W. of
Abhotswood.—ry. junc. on Great Western and Mid¬
land Ry., 4 miles SE. of Worcester.—2. Abhotswood,
seat, Gloucestershire, near Stow-on-the-Wold.
Abbotsworthy, vil., Kingsworthy par., N. Hants,
2 miles NE. of Winchester.
Abcott, place, Clungunford par., S. Shropshire, on
river Clun, 8 miles NW. of Ludlow.
Abden, shipbuilding yard, Kinghorn, Fifeshire.
Abdick and Bnlstone, hundred, Somerset, 38,575
ac., pop. 11,241; contains 26 pars.
Abdie, par., N. Fifeshire, on Firth of Tay, contain¬
ing part of Newburgh town, 6371 ac., pop. 983.
Abdon, par., S. Shropshire, 9 miles NE. of Ludlow,
1134 ac., pop. 154.
Abenburyfawr, township, Wrexham par., E. Den¬
bighshire, 1103 ac. (9 water), pop. 164.
Abenburyfechan, township, Wrexham par., Flint¬
shire, 160 ac. (4 water), pop. 104.
Abenhall, par., in Dean Forest, W. Gloucestershire,
2 miles SW. of Longhope ry. sta., 770 ac., pop. 268.
Aber.*—coast par. and vil. withry. sta., N. Carnar¬
vonshire, 4¾ miles E. of Bangor, 8833 ac. (1515 water),
pop. 442; P.O.; much frequented by tourists.—2. Aber,
hamlet, 1 mile from Talybont ry. sta., E. Brecknock¬
shire.—3. Aber, vil., Llandyfriog par., Cardiganshire,
2 miles NE. of Newcastle-Emlyn.
Aber, hamlet and islet, Kilmaronock par., Dumbar¬
tonshire, on SE. of Loch Lomond, 2½ miles NE. of Cal-
darvan sta.; the isl. lies in the loch, 1 m. N. of hamlet.
Aberaeron. See Aberayron.
Aberaman, vil. with ry. sta., Glamorgan, 2 miles SE.
of Aber dare; P.O., T.O. Ironworks are in the vicinity.
Aberangell, vil. withry. sta., onMawddwy Ry., NW.
border of Montgomeryshire.
Aberarad, vil., Kenarth par.,NW. Carmarthenshire,
1 mile E. of Newcastle-Emlyn.
Aberarder.—glen, in Aberdeenshire, on left side of
Dee Valley, between Crathieand Invercauld.—2. Aber¬
arder, hamlet and estate, Daviot and Dunlichity par.,
in co. and 15 miles S. of Inverness, on river Nairn; P.O.
Aberargie, or Aberdargie, vil., in par. and 4½ mile
W. of Abernethy, SE. Perthshire ; P.O.
Aberarth, vil., Llanddewi par., Carmarthensh., 2 m.
NE. of Aberayron and 13 m. NW. of Lampeter sta.; P.O.
Aberavon, par., and pari, and mun. bor., SW. Gla¬
morgan, 1 mile from Port Talbot ry. sta., on river Avon,
near its mouth on Swansea Bay, 32 miles W. of Cardiff
and 202 miles from London by rail—par., 1331 ac., pop.
4681; pari, bor., 3708 ac., pop. 13,494; mun. bor., 2598
ac., pop. 4859; 2 Banks. It consists of Aberavon proper,
and the part embracing the harb. called Port Talbot.
The works at Cwm Avon, in the vicinity, comprising
collieries, iron-works, tinplate, charcoal, and copper
smelting works, are among the largest in Wales. The
bor. forms one of the Swansea pari. dist. of boroughs.
Aberayron, small seaport and watering-place, in pars,
of Henfynyw and Llanddewi, Cardigansh., at mouth of
r. Aeron, 14 m. SW. of Aberystwith ; P.O., T.o., 1 Bank.
Abcrbaidan, vil., Llanelly par., Brecknockshire, 2
miles from Brynmawr ry. sta.
Aberbargoed, ry. sta. on Rhymney and Newport
Ry., Glamorgan, 3| miles from Rhymney.
Aberbcehan, hamlet and seat, Llanllwchaiarn par.,
SE. Montgomeryshire, near Newtown.
Aberbeeg, hamlet with ry. sta., Monmouthshire, 15
miles NW. of Newport; P.O.
Aberbran, vil. with sta., Brecknock, 4 m. W. of Brecon.
Abercairncy, ry. sta. and seat, Fowlis-Wester par.,
S. Perthshire, 4J miles E. of Crieff.
Abercanaid, vil., Glamorgan, 1 m. from Merthyr; p. o.
Abercarne, vil. with ry. sta., and seat, Monmouth¬
shire, 10½ miles NW. of Newport; extensive collieries
and coke works are in the vicinity ; P.O.
Abercastle, coast vil., Mathry par., Pembrokeshire,
6 miles NE. of St Davids.
Aberccgir, vil., 3 miles from Cemmes Road ry. sta.,