It is lowest in the districts bordering on the coasts;
hilly in the interior, with much moor, but also with
many slopes and hollows in a good state of culti-
vation ; and grandly mountainous in the SW.,
where numerous summits, including Ben Macdhui
(4296 ft.), rise above 3000 ft. Much of the country
is well-wooded. The chief rivers are the Dee, Don,
Ythan, Ugie, and Deveron. Granite is the principal
rock, and is extensively quarried for exportation. The
soil has been rendered highly productive under skilful
farming. Large numbers of fat cattle are annually
reared and sent to the principal markets of Scotland
and England. The coast and river fisheries are exten-
sive and valuable. (For agricultural statistics, see
Appendix). The co. comprises 76 pars, and 9 parts, the
pari, burgh of Aberdeen (2 members), the park burghs
of Inverurie, Kintore, and Peterhead (part of the Elgin
Burghs), and the police burghs of Fraserburgh, Huntly,
Inverurie, Peterhead, Turriff, &c. For pari, purposes
it is divided into 2 divisions—viz., East and West, 1
member for each division.
Aberdour.—coast par. and vil., Aberdeensh., 8 miles
W. of Fraserburgh, 15,508 ac., pop. 2124; vil. (New A.),
pop. 642.—2. Aherdour, par. and vil., SW. Fifesh.,
on the Firth of Forth, 3 miles W. of Burntisland,
5974 ac., pop. 1736; P.O., t.o.—vil. (Wester A.), pop.
610; the vil. has a good tidal harb. and pier, and is
resorted to for sea-bathing. Aherdour Castle, a ruined
seat of the Earl of Morton, is in the vicinity.
Aherdovey, eccl. dist. and seaport vil., S. Merioneth,
on Dovey estuary, 3¾ miles S. of Towyn by rail, 7229
ac., pop. 1457 ; P.O., t.o.
Aherdnnant, seat, Carnarvonshire, near Tremadoc.
Aherdulais, vil. with ry. sta., mid. Glamorgan, 2f m.
NE. of Neath; extensive tin-works are in vicinity; P.O.
Aberedw, par., hamlet with ry. sta., and seat, S.
Badnorshire, 4 miles SE. of Builth, 4300 ac., pop. 257.
Ahererch, par., Carnarvonshire, on river Erch, 2
miles NE. of Pwllheli ry. sta., 5962 ac. (358 water),
pop. 1726; P.O.
Ahcrfcldy, vil., Dull and Logierait pars., mid. Perth-
shire, on river Tay, 32½ miles NW. of Perth by rail, pop.
1260; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks. The celebrated Falls of
lioness are in the vicinity.
Aherffraw, par. and seaport vil., S. Anglesey, 12 miles
SE. of Holyhead and 3 miles from Ty Croes ry. sta., 6252
ac. (138 water), pop. 981; P.O. The Eisteddfodds, or
assemblies of the bards, were anciently held here.
Aherford, par. and vil., E. div. W-B. Yorksh., 6 m.
SW. of Tadcaster, 1580ac., pop. 653. Market-day, Wed.
Coal and limestone are worked in the vicinity; P.O., T.o.
Aherfoyle, par. and vil. with ry. sta., SW. Perthshire,
on a head-stream of river Forth, 7 miles NW. of Buck-
lyvie, 29,215 ac. (2405 water), pop. 465 ; P.O.; celebrated
in Scotts Hob Boy.
Ahergarw, vil., Llangeinor par., Glamorgan, 9 miles
'N. of Bridgend.
Ahergavcnny. — hundred, NW. Monmouthshire,
84,769 ac., pop. 63,612.—2. Ahergavcnny, par. and
market town, in the above hundred, at confluence of
Gavenny and Usk rivers, 17¼ miles N. of Newport and
165 miles from London by rail—par., 4251 ac. (32 water),
pop. 7886; town, pop. 6941; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks,
1 newspaper. Market-days, Tuesday and Friday. It
has remains of Norman castle; and extensive collieries
and iron-works are in the vicinity.
Ahcrgcldie Castle, the Highland residence of the
Prince of Wales, SW. Aberdeenshire, on river Dee, 6
miles above Ballater and 2 miles below Balmoral.
Abergele, coast par., market town, and watering-
place, N. Denbighshire, 34¼ miles W. of Chester by rail
—par., 9439 ac. (11 water), pop. 3172 ; town, pop. 1916;
P.O., T.O., 1 Bank, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Satur-
day. On 19th Aug. 1868, A. was the scene of an appal-
ling accident to the Irish limited mail, 33 persons being
killed. Castell-Cawr, on a high rock in the vicinity, is
one of the most perfect Boman camps in Wales.
Aberglaslyn, mountain pass, on boundary between
Carnarvonshire and Merioneth, 8 miles S. of Snowdon.
Aherglasney, seat, Carmarthen, near Llandilofawr.
Ahcrgorlech, vil., Llanbyther par., N. Carmarthen-
shire, at confluence of Gorlech and Coth rivers, 7 miles
WNW. of Llangadock ry. sta.; P.O.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)