Angerton.—par., Ulverston registration dist., Lan-
cashire, 2195 ac. (1121 water), pop. 32.—2. Angerton,
ry. sta., Northumberland, 7½ miles AY. of Morpeth.
Angerton, High and Low, 2 townships, Hartbum
par., N. Northumb., 6¼ miles AY. of Morpeth, on river
AYansbeck, 1293 ac., pop. 79 ; and 1069 ac., pop. 53.
Angle, or 5fangle, par. and vil., in co. and 9 miles W.
of Pembroke, on S. side of Milford Haven, 2320 ac. and
696 foreshore, pop. 458 ; P.O.
Angle Bridge, place with school, AYhittlesey par.,
Anglehan, place with black marble quarries, co.
Galway, near Menlough vil., at S. end of Lough Corrib.
Anglesborough, place and seat, co. Limerick, 8 miles
S. of Knocklong ry. sta. ; P.O.
Anglesey.—an insular co. of N. AYales, separated
from the mainland by the Menai Strait, over which a
suspension bridge was thrown in 1826, and a tubular
railway bridge in 1850. The island is about 20 miles
long, 16 broad, and 76 in circumference, and is the only
co. in AYales that is not mountainous. Area, 193,511
acres ; pop. 51,416. The soil is moderately fertile. The
rearing of cattle is one of the chief occupations. (For
agricultural statistics, see Appendix.) A considerable
trade is also carried on in butter, cheese, hides, honey,
wax, and tallow. It contains valuable minerals, and
furnishes copper, lead, silver, marble, limestone, coal,
and marl. The chief copper mines are at Parys. There
are no important mfrs. The Chester and Holyhead
Ry., a part of the main route between London and
Dublin, traverses the S. of the co. for 23 miles. The
distance from Holyhead to Dublin is about 60 miles.
Anglesey is generally believed to have been the chief
seat of the Druids of the ancient Britons. It was
called Mona by the Romans, and Anglesey, or Angles
Eye (that is, island) by the Saxons. Anglesey com-
prises 6 hundreds, 77 pars., the mun. bor. of Beau-
maris, and the towns of Amlwch, Holyhead, and
Llangefni. It is in the diocese of Bangor. It returns
1 member to Parliament.—2. Anglesey, watering-
place, Alverstoke par., S. Hants, 2 miles SAY. of
Angle Tarn.—mountain lakelet, NW. Westmor-
land, E. side of Patter dale, 6¼ miles N. of Ambleside;
area, about 5 ac.—2. Angle Tarn, mountain lakelet,
AY. Cumberland, in a hollow on Bow Fell, 10¼ miles S.
Anglezarke, township, Bolton-le-Moors par., N. Lan-
cashire, 3 miles E. of Chorley, 2793 ac., pop. 99.
Angling Crag, stretch of rock on S. side of Enner-
dale Lake, Cumberland.
Angnierimg, par. with ry. sta., AY. Sussex, 4 miles
SE. of Arundel, 4557 ac., pop. 982; P.O., T.O. Ang-
mering Par Si is a seat of the Duke of Norfolk.
Angram.—township, Long Marston par., E. div.
West-Riding Yorkshire, 4 miles NE. of Tadcaster, 519
ac., pop. 50.—2. Angram, hamlet, North-Riding York-
shire, 2 miles NW. of Muker, on river Swale.
Angrain-Grange, township, Coxwold par., North-
Riding Yorksh., 4¼ m. N. of Easingwold, 445 ac., pop. 27.
Angry, or Lennox Burn, rivulet, Elginshire, flowing
4 miles N. along boundary between Birnie and Dallas
pars, to the Lossie.
Angus, the ancient name of Forfarshire.
Anhid, or Athnett, par., co. Limerick, on the river
Maig, 1 mile S. of Croom, 980 ac., pop. 135.
Anick, and Anick-Grangc, 2 townships, St John
Lee par., S. Northumberland, 1¼ mile NE. of Hexham.
458 ac., pop. 153 ; and 556 ac. (51 water), pop. 61.
Anker, a river of NE. Warwickshire ; rises near Bui-
kington, and flows 20 miles to river Tame at Tamworth.
Ankerville, vil., Nigg par., NE. Ross-shire, 5 miles
SE. of Tain.
Ankerwyke, estate, Wyrardisbury par., S. Bucks,
on river Thames, 2 miles NW. of Staines. A Benedic-
tine nunnery was founded here in the time of Henry II.
Anlahy, township and seat, Kirk Ella and Hessle
pars., East-Riding Yorkshire, 4 miles AAT. of Hull, 1471
ac., pop. 629 ; P.O.
Anmer, par. and seat, AY. Norfolk, 11 miles NE. of
Kings Lynn, 1420 ac., pop. 167.
Ann, affluent of Irvine water, Galston par., Ayrshire
Anna. See Annagh.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)