An wick, par., S. Lincolnshire, near Sleaford Canal,
4½ miles NE. of Sleaford, 1820 ac., pop. 348 ; P.O.
Anwoth, coast par. and vil. (suburban to Gatehouse),
SW. Kirkcudbrightshire, 9 miles NW. of Kirkcud¬
bright, 11,774 ac., pop. 728.
Anyalla, E. co. Monaghan, 4 miles from Castle-
Aonachan, place, near centre of Inverness-shire.
Aonach Beag, and Aonach Blor, summits near Ben
Nevis, Inverness-sh.—alts., A.B. 4060 ft., A.M. 3999 ft.
Aonach-Shasuinn, mountain, NW. Inverness-shire,
3 miles S. of Loch Affrick, alt. 2902 ft.
Apedale Hall, seat, NW. Staffordshire, 3 miles NW.
Apcsthorpe, par., N. Notts, near Leverton sta. and
5½ miles E. of East Retford, 1040 ac., pop. 130.
Apethorpc, par., N. Northamptonshire, on Willow
Brook, 5 miles SW. of Wansford, 2630 ac., pop. 214;
P.O. A. Hall is the seat of the Earl of Westmorland.
Apeton, hamlet, Gnosall par., W. Staffordshire, 5|
miles SW. of Stafford.
Apley.—par., mid. Lincolnshire, near river Langworth,
3 miles SW. of Wragby, 1658 ac., pop. 189.—2. Apley,
seat, Isle of Wight, about 1 mile E. of Ryde. It was
built by David Boyce, the noted smuggler.
Apley Castle, seat, N. Shropshire, 1 mile NW. of
Apley Park, seat, S. Shropshire, on river Severn,
3 miles N. of Bridgnorth.
App, rivulet, in extreme SW. of Ayrshire, flowing 6
miles SW. into Loch Ryan.
Apperley, township, Bywell St Peter par., S. Nor¬
thumberland, near river Tyne, 7 miles SE. of Cor-
bridge, 429 ac., pop. 19.
Apperley Bridge, vil. and ry. sta., Calverley par.,
E. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, on river Aire, 7f miles
NW. of Leeds ; P.O., T.O.
Apperley with Whitefleld, hamlet, Deerhurst par.,
E. Gloucestershire, on river Severn, 4 miles SW. of
Tewkesbury ; P.O. Apperley Court is in the vicinity.
Apperset, hamlet, North-Riding Yorkshire, 4 miles
SW. of Hawes.
Appin.—dist., extending 18 miles by about 12 miles
along the E. side of L. Linnhe, and forming part of Lis-
more and Appin par., mid. W. Argyllshire. Its scenery
is richly diversified, and the coast line is broken with
islands and indentations, 114,918 ac., pop. 3433. This
was the country of the Stuarts, and is noted in the
Ettrick Shepherds ballad, The Stuarts o Appin.-r— 2.
Appin, quoad sacra par., vil., and port, in the above
dist., on bay of same name, 15 miles NNE. of Oban—pop.
of quoad sacra par. 762 ; P.O., T.O.'—3. Appin, an estate
with colliery, in par. and 4½ mile NE. of Dunfermline,
Fifeshire.—4. Appin, picturesque valley, Dull par.,
mid. Perthshire, near Aberfeldy.
Appleby.—market and co. town of Westmorland, in
the pars, of A. St Lawrence and A. St Michael, on river
Eden, 13 miles SW. of Penrith, and 30 miles SW. of
Carlisle by rail, pop. 1805; 2 Banks, 1 newspaper.
Market-day, Saturday. It consists of A. proper, on the
left bank of the river, and Old A., or Bongate, on the
right bank. The township of A. is identical with A.
proper. Appleby Castle, an old seat, occupies the
site of a Roman sta.—2. Appleby, par., vil., and seat,
on confines of Derbyshire and Leicestershire, 6 miles
SW. of Ashby-de-la-Zouch ry. sta., 2020 ac., pop. 757 ;
P.O. It is sometimes called Appleby Magna, and con¬
tains the hamlet of Appleby Parva.—3. Appleby,
par. and seat, N. Lincolnshire, on river Ancholme, 7 miles
NW. of Brigg, 6164 ac., pop. 570 ; P.O., t.o.
Appleby (or Northern) Division, pari. div. of
Westmorland, pop. 31,283.
Appleby St Lawrence, and Appleby St Michael
or Bongate, 2 pars., around Appleby town, NE. West¬
morland, 6058 ac. (55 water), pop. 1456 ; and 15,521 ac.
(104 water), pop. 1443.
Applecross, par. and hamlet, on bay of same name,
SW. coast of Ross-shire, 112,859 ac., pop. 2239; P.O.
It comprises most part of the peninsula between lochs
Torridon and Carron, and there is a deer forest of 50,000
ac. Applecross House is adjacent.
Appledore.—tithing, Burlescombe par., N. Devon,
7½ miles NE. of Tiverton.—2. Appledore, eccl. dist.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)