Aqualate Mere, lake (1 mile by 4 mile), on W. border
of Staffordshire, 2 miles NE. of Newport. Aqualate
Hall is adjacent.
Aqubaraney, seat, Aberdeensh., 8 m. NE. of Ellon.
Arabela, vil., Ballymacelligot par., mid. co. Kerry, 5
miles SE. of Tralee.
Araglin.—place, E. co. Cork, 8 miles E. of Kilworth;
P.O.—2. Araglin,affluentof theBlackwater,E. co. Cork,
near Fermoy, traversing a romantic dell of same name.
Aran, insular bar., co. Galway, 11,287 ac., pop. 3163;
P.O. It consists of a group of islands (often called
South Aran), forming a chain of about 15 miles long
across the mouth of Galway Bay. Nearly the whole
area consists of the 3 islands, Aranmore or Inishmore,
Inishmaan, and Inisheer, which are separately noticed.
Araniuore, or Inishmore, par., designated Aran,
consisting of the largest island in bar. Aran, co.. Gal-
way, 7635 ac., pop. 2193; P.O. The island measures
9 miles by 2 miles; greatest elevation less than 400 ft. ;
the precipitous cliffs on S. side are the resort of multi-
tudes of sea-fowl; a lighthouse rises from its centre.
Aran Mowddwy and Aran Benllyn, 2 summits of
Berwyn Mountains, onE. border of Merioneth, alt. 2970
and 2902 ft.
Arasaig, or Arisaig, dist. and vil., Ardnamurchan
par., on W. coast of Inverness-shire, between lochs
Morar and Aylort, pop. (of reg. dist.) 1136. The dist.
is mountainous and sterile. A deer forest at A. consists
of 27,000 ac. The vil. is regularly called at' by the
Glasgow and Isle of Skye steamers. The prom, of
Arasaig Point is 34 miles SW. of the vil.
Aray, river, in mid. Argyllshire, flowing from near L.
Awe 9 m. S. through valley of same name to Loch Fyne.
Arbigland, coast estate and mansion, in par. and
14 mile SE. of Kirkbean vil., Kirkcudbrightshire. A
cottage here was the birthplace of the naval adventurer
Paul Jones (1747-1792).
Arbikie, place with tumuli, Lunan par., Forfarshire.
Arbirlot, coast par. and vil., Forfarshire, on Elliot
water, 24 miles W. of Arbroath, 6747 ac., pop. 822 ; P.O.
Kelly Castle, built on a high rock, is in the vicinity.
Arboe, par., cos. Londonderry and Tyrone, on W.
shore of Lough Jleagh, 3 miles SE. of Coagh, 12,672 ac.,
pop. 4896; P.O.
Arborficld, par., vil., and seat, SE. Berks, on river
Loddon, 4 miles W. of Wokingham, 1469 ac. (13 water),
pop. 270. Arborfield Cross P.O. is 1J m. SE. of the vil.
Arbor Low Hill, eminence, N. Derbyshire, in vicinity
of Youlgreave. Its summit is crowned by a Druidical
circle of 30 stones, 150 ft. in diameter.
Arbory, par., in S. of Isle of Man, 3 miles NW. of
Castletown, 4477 ac., pop. 1274.
Arbory Hill, a conical eminence, Lamington par., S.
Lanarkshire, on right bank of river Clyde, alt. 1406 ft.
Arbroatb, or Aberbrothock (old name), par., pari,
and royal burgh, and seaport, at mouth of river Brothock,
Forfarshire, 17 miles NE. of Dundee and 475 from Lon-
don by rail—par., 943 ac., pop. 9493; pari, burgh, pop.
21,758; 5 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday.
The industries are of considerable importance, consisting
chiefly of sail-cloth and leather mfrs., also flax and
jute spinning. Chief exports—grain, potatoes, fish,
and paving-stones. (For shipping statistics, see Ap-
pendix.) The Abbey, founded by King William the
Lion in 1178, is now in ruins. From a signal tower,
50 ft. in height, with an excellent telescope, communica-
tion may be kept up with the Bell Rock lighthouse, which
rises from the sea 12 miles to the SE. At St Yigeans
Church, about 1 mile from the town, is an interesting
sculptured stone bearing a legible pre-historic inscrip-
tion. The burgh unites with Brechin, Forfar, Montrose,
and Inverbervie in returning 1 member to Parliament.
Arbuckle, vil., NE. Lanarkshire, near Airdrie.
Arbury.—hamlet, Winwick par., SW. Lancashire,
3 miles N. of Warrington.—2. Arbury, Roman camp,
N. Herts, 011 Icknield Way, 54 miles NE. of Baldock.—
3. Arbury, Roman camp, in co. and 2 miles S. of
Cambridge, near Gog Magog Hills.
Arbnry Banks, Roman camp, S. Northamptonshire,
1 mile W. of'Chipping Warden.
Arbnry HaU, seat, Chilvers-Coton par., N. War-
wickshire, 3 miles SW. of Nuneaton.
Arbutbnott, par., SE. Kincardineshire, 9585ac., pop.
809 ; P.O. Arbutbnott House is 8 miles SW. of Stone-
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)