Auchmorc, place with public school, Lochs par.,
Auchmuty and Balbirnie Mills, a united vil., in
par. and 1¼ mile W. of Markinch, mid. Fifeshire, on
river Leven, pop. 447; has extensive collieries and
paper-mills, and in vicinity is Balbirnie House, seat of
ancient family of Balfour.
Auchnacree, seat, Fearn par., mid. Forfarshire.
Alleluia gat I, vil., and sta. on branch of Great North
of Scotland Ry., E. Aberdeenshire, 7½ miles N. of Ellon
by rail; P.O., t.o., 1 Bank.
Auclmagoul, hamlet, Glenaray par., Argyllshire, 2½
miles SW. of Inveraray.
Anchnaltow, strath, Kildonan par., Sutherlandshire.
Aueknasheen, hamlet and ry. sta., near centre of
Ross-shire, 27¾ miles W. of Dingwall by rail; P.O., T.O.
Auehnashellach, sta. on Dingwall and Skye Ry.,
Ross-shire, 13 miles NE. of Strome Ferry; P.O., T.O.
A deer forest here embraces 50,000 ac.
Auchriddie, hamlet, New Deer par., N. Aberdeensh.
Auehries, vil., Cruden par., E. Aberdeenshire, 7
miles SW. of Peterhead.
Auch ter, affluent of river South Calder, NE. centre
Auchterarder, par. and market town, SE. Perthsh.,
14 miles SW. of Perth by rail—par., 11,181 ac., pop.
3648; town, pop. 2666; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Market-
day, Saturday. A. Castle and A. House are in vicinity.
Auchter derran, par. and hamlet, SW. Fifeshire,
5 miles NW. of Kirkcaldy, 7818 ac. (exclusive of 150
water), pop. 4332.
Auclitergaven, par. and vil., in co. and 8 miles
NW. of Perth, 12,941 ac., pop. 2195.
Auchterhouse, par. and vil. with ry. sta., SW.
Forfarshire, 12¼ miles NW. of Dundee, 5708 ac., pop.
661; P.O., T.o.
Auchterless, par., vil., and ry. sta., in co. and 34½ m.
NW. of Aberdeen, 16,826 ac., pop. 2144; P.O., T.o.
Auchtermuekty, par., royal burgh, and market
town, NW. Fifeshire, 4¼ miles NW. of Ladybank junc-
tion by rail—par., 3530 ac., pop. 2322; town, pop. 1673;
P.O., T.o., 2 Banks. Market-day, Monday. It has
spinning-mills, bleaching works, &e., and was the birth-
place of John Glass (1695-1773), the founder of the
religious sect called the Glassites.
Auchternced, hamlet, Fodderty par., E. Ross-shire,
at head of Strathpeffer.
AuclitcrtooJ, par. and vil., SW. Fifeshire, 4 miles W.
of Kirkcaldy, 2738 ac., pop. 706; P.O.
Auclitertyre, vil., Newtyle par., SW. Forfarshire.
Auckland, St Andrew, par. and township, S. Dur-
hamshire, including the town of Bishop-Auckland—par.,
18,886 ac., pop. 44,415; township, 1274 ac., pop. 2289.
Auckland, St Helen, par. and township with ry.
sta., S. Durhamshire, 2½ miles SW. of Bishop-Auckland
—par., 10,353 ac. (33 water), pop. 7049; township, 1510
ac., pop. 918.
Auckland, West, township, St Helen Auckland
par., S. Durhamshire, 3 miles SW. of Bishop-Auckland,
3410 ac., pop. 3177 ; P.O.
Auckley. See Awkley.
Aucloggeen, hamlet, Annaghdown par., co. Galway.
Audenskaw, eccl. dist. and vil., SE. Lancashire,
4 miles E. of Manchester, pop. 5936; P.O.
Audleby, hamlet, Caistor par., N. Lincolnshire, on
the Wold Hills, 1 mile N. of Caistor.
Audlem, par. and township with ry. sta., W.
Cheshire. 6 miles S. of Nantwich—par., 16,583 ac.,pop.
2560; township, 2388 ac. (21 water), pop. 1520; P.O.,
T.o., 2 Banks. Market-day, Thursday.
Audley, par. and township withry. sta.,N. Staff ordsh.,
4¼ miles NW. of Newcastle-under-Lyme—par., 8727 ac.
(16 water), pop. 11,505; township, pop. 11,215; P.O., T.o.
Audley, a locality with ruins of a castle, co. Down, W.
coast of Lough Strangford, 8 m. NE. of Downpatrick.
Audley End, place, and sta. on Great Eastern Ry.,
NW. Essex, 1| mile SW. of Saffron Walden; P.O.
Near it is the seat called Audley End, the property of
Lord Braybrooke, occupying the site of a Benedictine
priory built in 1136.
Augh . See also Agh and Ah .1
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)