Axholine, Isle of, a flat and formerly marshy tract
in extreme NW. of Lincolnshire, encircled by the rivers
Trent, Don, Torne, and Idle, 18 miles long, about 5 miles
broad, containing 7 pars, and 2 market towns.
Axmlnster.—hundred, in extreme E. of Devon,
47,679 ac., pop. 9813.—2. Axmlnster, par. and market
town, in the above hundred (part of the par. being in
Dorset), on river Axe, 25 miles NE. of Exeter and 144
miles SW. of London by rail, 7058 ac., pop. 2872; P.O.,
T.o., 2 Banks. Market-day, Saturday. It was once
famous for its mfrs. of carpets. Buckland, the geo¬
logist, was born here in 1784.
Axmouth, par. and fishing vil., E. Devon, 4½ mile
from Colyford ry. sta. and 6 miles SW. of Axminster,
4723 ac. (190 water), pop. 679; P.O. A landslip occurred
here in 1839, forming a chasm about 1 mile long, 200 ft.
wide, and 250 ft. deep.
Axton, place, Llanasa par., Flintshire, 6½ miles NE.
Axton, Hartford, and Wilmington, hundred,
Sutton at Hone lathe, E. Kent, 33,827 ac., pop. 17,750.
Axwell Park, seat, N. Durhamshire, on river Der¬
went, 2 miles S. of Blaydon.
Ay cliffe, par. and township (Great), and vil. with ry.
sta., S. Durhamsh., 5 m. N. of Darlington—par., 11,107
ac., pop. 1290; township, 2191 ac., pop. 839; P.O.
AycUffe, School. See School Ayclipfe.
Aydon, township, in par. and 2 miles NE. of Cor-
bridge, S. Northumberland, 780 ac., pop. 95.
Aydon Castle, township, in par. and 1½ mile N. of
Corbridge, S. Northumb., 15 ac., pop. 17. In vicinity
is the ruin of Aydon Castle, with a tower 60 ft. high.
Aylburton, tithing, in par. and 1 m. W. of Lydney,
W. Gloucestershire, 1887 ac. and 983 water and fore¬
shore, pop. 649; P.O.
Ayle, or Aile.—place, co. Mayo, 4 miles E. of West¬
port ; P.O.—2. Ayle, rivulet, bars. Burrishoole and
Carra, co. Mayo, flowing about 13 miles to Lough Mask.
Aylesheare, par. and vil., E. Devon, 2½ miles from
Broad Clyst ry. sta. and 8 miles E. of Exeter, 2948 ac.,
pop. 857; P.O.
Ayleshury.—market town and par., Bucks, 16 miles
SE. of Buckingham and 43J miles NW. of London by
rail, 3302 ac., pop. 7795; 4Banks, 3 newspapers. Mar¬
ket-days, Wednesday and Saturday. Mfrs. of lace and
straw-plaiting are carried on. Great numbers of ducks
are reared for the London market. Aylesbury returned
2 members to Parliament until 1885.—2. Aylesbury,
hundred, Bucks, 66,207 ac., pop. 27,913.
Ayleshury (or Mid) Division, pari. div. of Bucks,
Ayleshy, par., N. Lincolnshire, 2 miles SW. of
Great Coates sta. and 4½ miles SW. of Great Grimsby,
2110 ac., pop. 112.
Aylesford.—lathe, mid. Kent, 246,160 ac., pop.
249,328.—2. Aylesford, par. and town, mid. Kent,
3½ miles NW. of Maidstone and 36 miles SE. of London
by rail, 4372 ac. and 35 tidal water and foreshore, pop.
2719; P.O., T.O. It has a large stoneware pottery and a
paper-mill. In vicinity are several remains of antiquity.
Aylestone, par. and township, in co. and 2½ miles
SW. of Leicester—par., 3850 ac., pop. 3340; township,
2650 ac. (with Glenn Parva), pop. 2546; P.O. It also
contains Aylestone Park P.O.
Aylmerton, par., N. Norfolk, 3 miles SW. of
Cromer, 1679 ac., pop. 273; P.O.
Aylort, sea loch, on SW. coast of Inverness-shire,
between the dists. of Arisaig and Moidar,t.
Aylsham, par. and market town with ry. sta.,
Norfolk, on river Bure, 12 miles NW. of Norwich, 4308
ac., pop. 2674; P.O., T.o., 1 Bank. Market-day, Tues.
Aylton, par., E. Herefordshire, 3½ miles W. of Led¬
bury, 825 ac., pop. 90.
Aylworth, hamlet, Naunton par., E. Gloucester¬
shire, 6½ miles SW. of Stow.
Aymestrey, par. and vil., N. Herefordshire, on river
Lugg, 5½ miles NW. of Leominster, 6349 ac., pop.
648; P.O. Near the vil. are traces of a Roman camp.
Aynho, par. and vil. with ry. sta., and seat, S.
Northamptonshire, 6 miles SE. of Banbury, 2330 ac.,
pop. 562; P.O., T.O.
Ayot, sta. on Great Northern Ry., Herts, 22 miles N.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)