Barnsidc, hamlet, Kirkburton par., S. div. West-
Biding Yorkshire, 6 miles S. of Huddersfield.
Barnside, hill, Abbey St Bathans par., Berwick-
shire, alt. 865 ft.
Barn si ee, seat, Markinch par., Fifeshire; supposed
to be the site of a castle of Macduff, Thane of Fife.
Barnsley.—township and mun. bor., Silkstone par.,
S. div. West-Biding Yorkshire, on river Dearne, 18 and
22 miles N. of Sheffield by different routes, and 187
miles N. of London by rail—township and hor., 2386
ac., pop. 29,790; 3 Banks, 3 newspapers. Market-days,
Wednesday and Saturday. B. is one of the chief seats
of linen mfr., and is situated in a rich coal and iron
mining district. The ruins of Monk Bretton Priory
(1157) are 2 miles to NE.—2. Barnsley, par. and seat,
E. Gloucestershire, 4miles NE. of Cirencester, pop. 276.
Barnsley Canal, S. div. West-Riding Yorkshire,
from Barnsley to river Calder near Wakefield, 15 miles
long, with 21 locks.
Barnsley Division, pari, div., S. div. AYest-Riding
Yorkshire, pop. 62,381.
Barnstaple, mun. bor., seaport town, and par., N.
Devon, on river Taw, 40 miles NAY of Exeter and
211 miles SAY. of London by rail—bor., 1750 ac., pop.
12,282; par., 1102 ac., pop. 9518; 4 Banks, 3 news-
papers. Market-day, Friday. B. is an ancient town,
and has laee mfrs., potteries, shipbuilding, and fishing.
(For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) Barnstaple
returned 2 members to Parliament until 1885.
BarnstapIeDlvision, pari. div. of Devon, pop. 56,732.
Barnston.—township, Woodchurch par., W. Che-
shire, 4^ miles N. of Great Neston, 1108 ac., pop. 280 ;
P.O. B. Christchurch, eccl. dist., pop. 310.-—2.
Barnston, or Birnston, par., NW. Essex, 2| miles
SE. of Dunmow, 1442 ac., pop. 166; P.O.
Barnstone, chapelry with ry. sta., Langar par., S.
Notts, 3J miles S. of Elton and 5 miles SE. of Bingham.
Barns, West, vil., in par. and 3 miles W. of Dunbar,
Haddingtonshire, pop. 529; P.O.
Barnt Green, ry. sta., 4 miles NE. of Bromsgrove,
Barntick, hamlet, 4 m. SW. of Ennis, S. co. Clare.
Barnton, township, Gt. Bud worth par. ,mid. Cheshire,
2 miles NW. of Northwich, 751 ac., pop. 1538 ; P.O.
Barnton, seat, Cramond par., N. Edinburghshire,
3| miles W. of Edinburgh.
Barnwell, ry. sta., 3 miles S. of Oundle, N. North -
Barnwell, ancient par., now forming a part of
Craigie and Tarbolton pars., Ayrshire.
Barnwell All Saints, par., N. Northamptonshire,
near Barnwell ry. sta., 3 miles SE. of Oundle, 1680
ac., pop. 137.
Barnwell St Andrews, par. and vil. with ry. sta.
(Barnwell), N. Northamptonshire, 2\ miles S. of
Oundle, 740 ac., pop. 257; P.O. Its castle (1152) is a
good specimen of Early Norman architecture.
Bamwood, par., inco. and2 miles SE. of Gloucester,
1471 ac., pop. 761.
Barnyards, vil., Kilconquhar par., E. Fifeshire,
Barochan Mill, hamlet, in par. and If mile N. of
Houston vil., Renfrewshire. B. House is in vicinity.
Barog, place, Llanfairtalhaiarn par., Denbighshire,
9 miles NW. of Denbigh.
Baron Hill, seat, 11 mile N. of Beaumaris, Anglesey.
Barone Hill, eminence, in Bute island, l| mile
from Rothesay, alt. 532 ft.
Baronscourt, demesne, NAY. co. Tyrone, 3 miles
SAY. of Newtown-Stewart; P.O.
Barons Hall, seat, near Fakenham, N. Norfolk.
Barons Park. See Barrons Park.
Barony and Evenwood, township, St Andrew
Auckland par.. S. Durham, 7 miles SW. of Bishop-
Auckland, 5433 ac., pop. 2954; has extensive coal mines.
Barony, par., in Glasgow, pop. 264,509.
Barr . See also Bar .
Barr.—par. and vil. with ry. sta., S. Ayrsh., 55,190
ac. (314'water), pop. 600; P.O.—2. Barr, stream of Kin-
tyre, Killean par., Argyllsh., flowing 8J m. SW. to the
Atlantic.—3. Barr, seat, Lochwinnoch par., Renfrew-
shire.—4. Barr, hill, St Mungo par., Dumfriesshire.
Barr, affluent of river Foyle, bar. Raphoe, co. Donegal.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)