Barrow.—par. with ry. sta., W. Cheshire, 5 miles NE.
of Chester, 3033 ac., pop. 724 ; P.O.—2. Barrow, place,
Boddington par., W. Gloucestershire, 4 miles NW. of
Cheltenham.—3. Barrow, township, Alwinton par.,
W. Northumberland, 10 miles NW. of Rothbury, 1010
ac., pop. 11.—4. Barrow, hamlet, Cottesmore par.,
N. Rutland, 5 miles NE. of Oakham.—5. Barrow,
par., S. Shropshire, 3 miles E. of Much Wenlock, 2329
ac., pop. 343.-6. Barrow, par. and vil., W. Suffolk,
1½ mile S. of Higham ry. sta. and 6 miles W. of Bury
St Edmunds, 2665 ac., pop. 910.—7. Barrow, hamlet,
Wath-upon-Dearne par., West-Riding Yorkshire, 3 miles
N. of Rotherham.—8. Barrow, rivulet, Cumberland,
running to the Derwent Water, 2 miles S. of Keswick.—
9. Barrow, affluent of river Burbeck, Westmorland.—
10. Barrow (Lancashire). See Barrow in Furness.
Barrow, river, NW. Queens co.; rises in Slieve
Bloom mountains and flows S. about 100 miles to
Waterford harb., where it joins the river Suir. It is
navigable for vessels of 200 tons to New Ross, and
thence to Athy and the Grand Canal for barges. Its
chief affluents are the Nore, Burrin, and Cushina.
Barrowash, hamlet, Ockbrook par., in S. of co. and
4 miles SE. of Derby ; has hosiery mfrs.
Barrowhy.—par., S. Lincolnshire, 2 miles W. of
Grantham, 4462 ac., pop. 807; P.O.—2. Barrowhy,
hamlet, Barwick-in-Elmett par., West-Riding York¬
shire, 9 miles NE. of Leeds.—3. Barrowhy, hamlet,
Austhorp township and Whitkirk par., West-Riding
Yorkshire, 4 miles E. of Leeds.
Barrow Common, a tract of land, in W. Cumber¬
land, 2 miles from Keswick.
Barrowdcn, par. with ry. sta., S. Rutland, 6 miles
E. of Uppingham, 2073 ac., pop. 600; P.O.
Barrow, East and West, shoal, Essex, at mouth of
river Thames, 12 miles E. of Foulness Point, 15 miles
long and 1 to 3 miles broad. Barrow Deeps, a navi¬
gable channel, is on the N. side.
Barrow Falls, on B. rivulet, W. Cumberland, 2 miles
from Keswick, height 120 ft.
Barrowfield, quoad sacra par. and SW. suburb of
Glasgow, Calton par., Lanarkshire, pop. 8087; the
camping ground of the Regent Murray in 1568.
Barrowford, seat, near Athy, SW. co. Kildare.
Barrowford Booth, township, Whalley par., NE.
Lancash., 2 miles W. of Colne, 2365 ac., pop. 3842; P.O.,
T.O.; contains B. St Thomas, eccl. dist., pop. 3821.
Barrow, Great, place, in Barrow par., W. Cheshire.
Barrow Green, seat, Surrey ; post-town, Godstone.
Barrow Gurney, par., E. Somerset, 1 m. SE. of Burton
ly. sta. and 5m. SW. of Bristol, 2026ac., pop. 302; P.O.;
contains Barrow Court.
Barrow Hall, seat, Lincolnshire ; post-town, Ulceby.
Barrow Haven, ry. sta. with ferry, N. Lincolnshire,
on the Humber, opposite Hull; P.O. See Barrow-on -
Barrow Hill.—seat, Derbyshire; post-town, Stanton.
—2. Barrow Hill, seat, Staffordshire; post-town,
Uttoxeter.—3. Barrow Hill, eminence, E. Somerset,
3 miles SW. of Bath.—4. Barrow Hill, eminence, W.
Oxfordshire, 5½ miles NE. of Burford.—5. Barrow
Hill, P.O., T.O., under Chesterfield, N. Derbyshire.
Barrow House, seat, 2 miles S. of Keswick, Cum¬
Barrow in F'urness, parliamentary and municipal
borough, township, and manufacturing and seaport
town, Dalton par., N. Lancashire, at the extremity
of the Furness peninsula, opposite the Isle of
Walney, 50 miles NW. of Liverpool by water and 267
miles from London by rail, 10,967 ac., pop. 47,259;
3 Banks, 3 newspapers. In 1848 it was a fishing vil. of
only 100 inhabitants ; and during 1871-81 its pop. had
increased by nearly 30,000. Its rapid growth is owing
to the abundance of hematite iron ore in the district,
about 500,000 tons of which are annually required for
the blast furnaces, and to the discovery of the Bessemer
process of manufacturing steel. It has immense iron
and steel works, large jute works, extensive shipbuilding
yards, and works for the making of railway waggons and
rolling stock. Cattle are imported from Belfast and
America, and timber, grain, and flour from Canada; iron
ore and pig-iron are largely exported. (For shipping
statistics, see Appendix.) The town, which is well
built, stands on what was formerly Barrow island; the
island was reclaimed from the sea, and the rest of the
channel converted into docks. B. returns 1 member;
it was made a parliamentary borough in 1885.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)