Bascote, hamlet, Long Itchingdpnpar., S. Warwick-
shire, 2 miles NW. of Southam.
Basford.—township with ry. sta., Wybunbury par.,
W. Cheshire, 4 miles E. of Nantwich, 642 ac., pop. 77.
—2. Basford, par. and ry. sta., Notts, in parlia-
mentary and municipal borough of Nottingham, 2720
ac., pop. 18,137; a chief seat of cotton-hose and lace
mfrs. It contains Basford, New, eccl. dist., pop. 5180.
—3. Basford, township, Cheddleton par., N. Stafford-
shire, 4 miles S. of Leek.
Bashall Eaves, township, Mutton par., N. div. West-
Biding Yorkshire, on W. border of co., and 2¼ miles
NW. of Clitheroe, 3806 ac., pop. 263.
Basham (Norfolk). See Barsham.
Basildon.—par., Berks, onriver Thames, 7 miles NW.
of Beading, 4139 ac. (43 water), pop. 651; P.O.—2.
Basildon, eccl. dist. and seat, Laindon par., S. Essex,
3¼ miles SE. of Billericay, 1638 ac., pop. 157 ; P.O.
Basing, par. and vil., N. Hants, 2 miles NE. of
Basingstoke, 5635 ac., pop. 1310; Basing House,
famous for its prolonged defiance (1643-45) against the
Parliament, has left but few remains.
Basing Park, 7 miles SW. of Alton, N. Hants.
Basingstoke.—mun. bor. and market town, N.
Hants, 14¼ miles SW. of Beading, 27 miles NE. of
Southampton, and 48 miles SW. of London by rail,
4172 ac., pop. 6681; P.O., T.o., 3 Banks, 2 newspapers.
Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday. It is connected
with London by two canals; good trade in corn, malt,
Basingstoke (or Northern) Division, pari. div. of
Hants, pop. 60,467.
Basingstoke Canal, from Basingstoke, Hants, to
Wey and Arundel Canal, Surrey, 37 miles long, with
29 locks, and navigable by vessels of 50 tons.
Basingwerk, ruined abbey, Holywell par., Flintsh.,
on Dee estuary, 1 mile NE. of Holywell, founded 1131.
Baslick, par., W. co. Roscommon, 5 miles E. of
Castlereagh, 15,395 ac., pop. 1513.
Baslow with Bnbnell, township, vil., and eccl. dist.
(St Anne), in par. and 3 miles NE. of Bakewell, N.
Derbyshire, 5635 ac., pop. 843; P.O., T.o.
Bason Bridge, sta. on branch of Bristol and Exeter
Ry., W. Somerset, 12 miles NW. of Glastonbury.
Bassaleg, par. and vil. with ry. sta., SW. Monmouth-
shire, 3 miles NW. of Newport, 6955 ac., pop. 2514;
Bassendean, ancient par., Berwickshire, 5 miles W.
by S. of Greenlaw; now included in Westruther par,
Bassendean House, seat, is in the neighbourhood.
Bassenthwaitc, par. and vil. with ry. sta., W.
Cumberland, onE. side of Bassenthwaite Water, 4 miles
NW. of Keswick, 6915 ac., pop. 509; p. o.
Bassenthwaitc Water, lake, W. Cumberland, 4
miles long, ¾ mile broad, and 210 ft. above sea-level.
Basset House. See Knoll and Bassett House.
Bassetlaw, wapentake, N. Notts, area 198,720 ac.,
pop. 40,437, divided into 3parts—Halfield, 114,099 ac.,
pop. 25,707; North Clay, 44,307 ac., pop. 8200; South
Clay, 40,314 ac., pop. 6530.
Bassetlaw Division, pari. div. of Notts, pop.
50,185 ; contains the mun. bor. of East Retford.
Bassingbourne, par. and vil., S. Cambridgeshire,
2 miles NW. of Royston, 4223 ac., pop. 2717; P.O., T.o.
Bassingfield, hamlet, Holme Pierrepont and West
Bridgford pars., in co. and 3 miles SE. of Nottingham.
Bassingham, par., in mid. of co. and 8 miles SW.
of Lincoln, 1940 ac., pop. 725 ; P.O., T.o.
Bassingthorpe, par., S. Lincolnshire, 2 miles NW.
of Corby, 1790 ac., pop. 136.
llassington, township, Eglingham par., N. North-
umberland, 3 miles NW. of Alnwick, 237 ac., pop. 7.
Bass Boek, a precipitous and nearly circular islet,
2 miles off Haddingtonshire coast, at entrance to Firth
of Forth. It is 350 ft. high, and shelves down to the
waters edge on the SW., where alone it is accessible.
It is the resort of vast numbers of aquatic birds, and
was long used as a State prison for the Covenanters.
Bastavoe, bay, E. side of Yell island, Shetland.
Bastead, hamlet, Wrotham par., mid. Kent, 10 miles
NW. of Maidstone.
Bastine, hamlet, Collessie par., Fifeshire, 2 miles
NW. of Ladybank.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)