Bast on, par., S. Lincolnshire, 3 miles NE. of Market
Deeping, 3520 ac., pop. 774; P.O.
Bastwick, hamlet, Repps par., N. Norfolk, 2 miles
NW. of Yarmouth.
Baswich, par., in W. of co. and 2 miles SE. of Staf-
ford, 6971 ac., pop. 1378.
Baswich, Milford, and Walton, township, Bas-
wieh par., W. Staffordshire, on Worcester Canal, near
Stafford, 2013 ac., pop. 606.
Batchacre, hamlet, Adbastonpar., W. Staffordshire,
5 miles SW. of Eccleshall.
Batchcott, township, Richards Castle par., S.
Shropshire, 4 miles SW. of Ludlow.
Batchpool, township, Worfield par., S. Shropshire,
2 miles NE. of Bridgnorth.
Batchworth, hamlet, in par. and 2 miles SE. of
Rickmansworth, SW. Herts ; P.O.
Batcombe.—par., mid. Dorset, 3 miles NW. of
Cerne Abbas, 1109 ac., pop. 127.—2. Batcombe, par.,
mid. Somerset, 2¼ miles N. of Bruton, 3229 ac., pop.
619; P.O.—3. Batcombe, tithing, Nyland par., mid.
Somerset, 5 miles NW. of Wells.
Bate Island. See St Marys Island.
Bath, city, mun. and pari, bor., E. Somerset, onriver
Avon, Ilf miles SE. of Bristol, 107 W. of London, and
135 S. of Birmingham by rail—par. bor., 3611 ac., pop.
53,785; mun. bor., 3539 ac., pop. 51,814; 5 Banks, 6
newspapers. Market-days, Wed. and Sat. The town
consists of two parts—Old Bath, on a bend of the river,
and New Bath, on a range of lofty hills. B. owes its
importance to its hot springs, known to the Romans in
the 1st century ; and is much resorted to for its medi-
cinal waters, baths, &c. The springs, four in number,
yield about 7750 gallons per hour, the temperature
ranging from 110° to 117° Fahrenheit. Bath and Wells
have formed one diocese since 1135. The bor. returns
2 members to Parliament.
Bathampton.—par. with ry. sta., E. Somerset,
suburb of Bath, 931 ac., pop. 410; P.O.—2. Bathampton
(Devon). See Bampton.
Bathampton, Great and Little, 2 tithings, Steeple
Langford par., S. Wilts, 5 miles NW. of Wilton.
Bathealton, par. and seat,W. Somerset, 4 miles NW.
of Wellington, 941 ac., pop. 126; P.O.
Batheaston, par., E. Somerset, 2 miles NE. of Bath,
1863 ac., pop. 1637; P.O., T.O. Salisbury Hill (600 ft.)
has remains of an ancient circular camp.
Batherm, affluent of river Exe, E. Devon, 8 miles
long, joining the Exe below Bampton.
Batherton, township, Wybunbury par., W. Cheshire,
2 miles S. of Nantwich, 428 ac., pop. 25.
Bathford, par. and vil., NE. Somerset, 4 miles NE.
of Bath, 1820 ac., pop. 953; P.O.
Bath Forum, hundred, E. Somerset, area ll,294ac.,
Bathgate, par. and manufacturing and market town,
W. Linlithgowsh., 17 miles SW. of Edinburgh, 24 miles
E. of Glasgow, and 385 miles from London by rail—
par., 10,876ac.,pop. 9450; town, pop. 4887; P.O., t.o., 3
Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Tuesday. Extensive
coal, iron, paraffin oil, and lime works are in the vicinity.
Here the celebrated Torbanehill gas-coal is worked. The
town was the birthplace of Sir James Y. Simpson (1811-
1870), the first to use chloroform as an anaesthetic.
Bathley.—tp., North Muskham par., Notts, 3 m. NW.
of Newark, pop. 169.—2. Bathley (Norfolk). See Bale.
Bathpool, mid. Somerset, 3 miles from East Reach,
Bathurst, manor, Warbletonpar., E. Sussex, 5 miles
NE. of Hailsham.
Bathvllle-Row, vil., in par. and 2¼ miles SW. of
Bathwick, par., in Somerset, wholly in Bath bor.,
573 ac., pop. 5167 ; contains Bathwick St John, eccl.
dist., pop. 1418.
Batley, mun. bor., par., and township, S. div. West-
Riding Yorkshire, 1¼ mile N. of Dewsbury and 8 miles
SW. of Leeds by rail—par. (partly in pari. bor. of
Dewsbury), 6286 ac., pop. 47,959; bor. and township,
2039 ac., pop. 27,505 ; 2 Banks, 2 newspapers. It is a
chief seat for mfr. of army cloths and coarse woollens,
having about 50 factories. B. has an ancient par.
church and free grammar-school.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)