Berwick.—par. and vil. with ry. sta., E. Sussex,
7 miles SE. of Lewes, 1104 ac., pop. 1.73; P.O.—2.
Berwick, township, Atcham par., N. Shropsh., on river
Severn, 3£ m. SE. of Shrewsbury; P.O. B. Honse is in
vicinity.—3. Berwick, hamlet, Abbots Roothing par.,
W. Essex. B. House and B. Place are in vicinity.—
4. Berwick, vil., 4^m. SE. of Bridport, SW. Dorset.—
5. Berwick, hamlet, Llanelly par., S. Carmarthenshire.
Berwick Bassett, par., N. AYilts, 61? miles NW. of
Marlborough, 1388 ac., pop. 134.
Berwick, Great, township, St Mary Shrewsbury
par., N. Shropshire, 2 miles NW. of Shrewsbury.
Berwick Hill, township, Ponteland par., S. North-
umberland, 6J? miles SW. of Morpeth, 1665 ac., pop. 99.
Berwick, North. See North Berwick.
Berwick on Tweed, par., mun. bor., and seaport
town, Northumberland, 57£ miles SE. of Edinburgh,
64 miles NAY. of Newcastle-on-Tyne, and 339 miles
from London by rail—par., 5790 ac., pop. 9179; bor.,
7048 ac., pop. 13,998 ; 4 Banks, 3 newspapers. Market-
day, Saturday. The town is situated on the N. side
of the mouth of the river Tweed, which is here crossed
by a magnificent ry. viaduct of 28 arches and by a
narrow old stone bridge of 15 arches. The fisheries
are very important; the exports include grain, coal,
salmon, herrings, &c.; timber is imported. (For shipping
statistics, see Appendix.) There is a lighthouse on the
pier head with 2 fixed lights seen at distances of 8 and
12 miles. Shipbuilding is carried on to some extent;
other industries are iron-founding, the mfr. of agri-
cultural implements and manures, ropes, &c. B.,
with its liberties, is a co. of itself, and is specified
separately in Acts affecting the United Kingdom, but
in Pari, returns is incorporated with Northumberland.
It returned 2 members until 1885. Its origin is
ascribed to the Northumbrian kings. It was an im-
portant seaport in the reign of Alexander I., and for
centuries its possession was contended for by the Eng-
lish and Scotch, but was finally ceded to Edward IV.
in 1482. In 1551 it was made a free town, and on the
accession of James I. (1603) ceased to be of importance asa
frontier stronghold. The walls and part of the old fortifica-
tions remain. Barracks for infantry are still maintained.
Berwickshire, a maritime co. in the extreme SE. of
Scotland, extending in extreme breadth about 20 m. be-
tween Haddingtonsh. and the English border, and in ex-
treme length about 33 m. between Roxburghsh. and the
German Ocean; coast-line about 20 miles; area, 460'6 sq.
m., or 296,362 ac.; pop. 35,392, or 77 persons to each sq. m.
The coast is high and rocky, and the few but important
fishing harbs. are much exposed. St Abbs Head is the
main projection. The Lammermuir Hills, to the average
breadth of 7 m., occupy all the N.; a bleak and mostly
moorland tract of 5 m. in breadth, but somewhat diver-
sified towards the E., succeeds ; and the luxuriant and
fertile district, called the Merse, slopes from this to the
banks of the Tweed. The district of Lauderdale, on the
AY., is chiefly upland. The Tweed traces about half of
the S. boundary, and receives the Leader, Eden, Leet,
and the AYhiteadder (with its affl. the Blackadder). The
Eye enters the German Ocean at Eyemouth. The lands
on Tweedside are in a very high state of cultivation ;
the rest of the co. is chiefly pastoral. (For agri-
cultural statistics, see Appendix). The fisheries,
both on the coast and in the Tweed, are among the
most important in Scotland. The co. comprises 31
pars, and parts of 2 others, and the police burghs of
Coldstream, Duns, Eyemouth, and Lauder. It returns
1 member to Parliament.
Berwick upon Tweed Division, pari. div. of
Northumberland, pop. 55,847.
Berwick St James, par., S. AYilts, 5J miles SAY. of
Amesbury, 2531 ac., pop. 189; P.O.
Berwick St Jokn, par., S. AYilts, 5| miles SE. of
Shaftesbury, 3699 ac., pop. 385 ; P.O. AVinklefoury
Camp, an entrenchment of 12| ac., surrounded by a
ditch and a rampart 39 ft. high, is on a ridge to SAY.
Berwick St Leonard, par., S. AYilts, 1 mile E. of
Hindon, 970 ac., pop. 60.
Berwyn.—affluent of river Teifi, Cardiganshire, 6
miles long.—2. Berwyn, ry. sta., 3 miles W. of Llan-
gollen, E. Denbighshire.—3. Berwyn. See Croes
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)