Betterton, tithing, East Lockinge par., W. Berks,
2½ miles SE. of Wantage.
Bettiscomhe, par., W. Dorset, 5 miles W. of Bea-
minster, 667 ac., pop. 63.
Bettisfield, township with ry. sta., Hanmer par.,
Flintshire, 4J miles NE. of Ellesmere, 2308 ac., pop.
363 ; P.O. It contains Bettisfield Fark.
Betton, township, St Chad par., S. Shropshire, 3|
miles SE. of Shrewsbury. Betton Hall is in vicinity.
Betton Strange, eccl. dist., Shrewsbury par., Shrop¬
shire, pop. 85.
Bettws.1—par., SE. Carmarthenshire, 8 miles S. of
Llandilofawr, 6511 ac., pop. 1738.—2. Bettws, par.,
mid. Glamorgan, 5½ miles N. of Bridgend, 5023 ac., pop.
1025; birthplace of Dr Price, the theologian (1600-
1676).—3. Bettws, township, Llanfawr par., E. Meri¬
oneth, 1½ mile NE. of Bala. — 4. Bettws, par., S.
Monmouthshire, 2½ miles NW. of Newport, 1132 ac.,
pop. 86.—5. Bettws, par. and vil., E. Montgomerysh.,
5m. N. of Newtown, 5305ac., pop. 572; P.O. Fen-y-Gaer,
a large hill-camp, is in the vicinity.—6. Bettws, par.,
S. Shropshire, 10 m. SE. of Newtown, 8664 ac., pop. 542.
Bettws-ahergele. See Bettws-yn-Rhos.
Bettwshleddrws, par., S. Cardiganshire, on river
Teifi, 3 miles NE. of Lampeter, 2216 ac., pop. 202.
Bettws Cedcwen, vil., Bettws par., E. Montgomery¬
shire, 5 miles N. of Newtown ; P.O.
Bettwsclyro, chapelry, Clyro par., S. Radnorshire,
on river Wye, 3J miles N. of Hay.
Bettwsdisserth, par., S. Radnorshire, 7 miles SW.
of New Radnor, 1885 ac., pop. 109.
Bettwsevan, par. and hamlet, SW. Cardiganshire,
5 miles NW. of Newcastle-in-Emlyn, 2640ac., pop. 392.
Bettwsgarmon, par. and hamlet with ry. sta., in
W. of co. and 5 miles SE. of Carnarvon, 2759 ac., pop.
Bettws-Gwerfil-Gach, par. and hamlet, NE. Merio¬
neth, '6 miles NW. of Corwen, 2650 ac., pop. 273 ; P.O.
Bettwsleiki, par., S. Cardiganshire, on river Ayron,
7 miles NE. of Lampeter, 2342 ac., pop. 282.
Bettwsnewydd, par., mid. Monmouthshire, 3½ miles
NW. of Usk, 1129 ac., pop. 109; P.O.
Bettws-y-Coed, par. and vil. with ry. sta., E. Car¬
narvonshire, 3½ miles S. of Llanrwst, 3537 ac., pop.
784; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. It is a favourite resort of
tourists and anglers, and is a good centre for exploring
the E. side of Snowdon.
Bettws-yn-Bhos, or Bettws-ahergele, par. and
hamlet, Denbighshire, 3 miles S. of 1 bergele and
9 miles W. of St Asaph, 6588 ac., pop. 734; P.O.
BettyhiU of Farr, hamlet, N. Sutherlandshire, near
the mouth of river Naver; P.O., T.O., called Bettyhill.
Beulah, 5 miles from Llanwrtyd, Radnorshire ; P.O.
Beult, The, a river, in mid. Kent; flows NW. for
18 miles to the Medway at Yalding.
Bevercoates, par., N. Notts, 2½ miles NW. of Tux-
ford, 790 ac., pop. 32.
Bevere, island, in river Severn, in co. and 2½ miles
N. of Worcester ; commands good view of Abberley and
Malvern hills, and contains Bevere House.
Beverley, mun. bor. and market town, East-Riding
Yorkshire, 7½ miles NW. of Hull, 33f miles SE. of
York, and 183 miles from London by rail, 2412 ac., pop.
11,425 ; P.O., T.O., 4 Banks, 3 newspapers. Market-day,
Saturday. It is connected with river Hull by a canal.
The collegiate church of St John or B. Minster (13th
century) is one of the finest Gothic structures in the king¬
dom, and contains the Percy shrine. The market-place
occupies 4 acres, and has an octagonal cross. B. has
a large trade in timber, grain, wool, and leather ; and
mfrs. of agricultural implements, machinery, railway
Beverley and Barnston Cut, great drain, along the
low flat country of East-Riding Yorkshire, from near
Hull to vicinity of Beverley, and thence to sea at
Barnston, 24 miles long.
Bevcrshrook, tithing, Caine and Hilmarton pars.,
N. Wilts, 2 miles NE. of Caine. '
Beverstone, par. and vil., W. Gloucestershire, 4½
miles NW. of Tetbury, 2360 ac., pop. 190.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Bettws is a Welsh word signifying a pleasant spot between
! hill and stream a station a chapel of ease.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)