Bideford, par., mun. bor., and seaport, N. Devon,
on river Torridge, 4 miles from the sea, 7 miles SW.
of Barnstaple, and 220 miles from London by rail,
3196 ac., pop. 6512; P.O., t.o., 3 Banks, 3 newspapers.
Market-days, Tuesday and Saturday. The town is in
two portions, united by a bridge of 24 arches. It has mfrs.
of earthenware, ropes, sails, and leather; and carries
on shipbuilding. Exports—oak-bark, grain, and its own
mfrs; imports—timber, coal, fruits, wines, and brandies.
Vessels of 500 tons come up to the quay; steamers run
to Ilfracombe and Lundy Island during summer, and to
Bristol throughout the year. Bideford is now a sub-port
of Barnstaple. On Braunton Sands is a lighthouse,
with 2 fixed lights (Bideford) seen at 11 and 14 miles.
Admiral Sir Richard Grenville, who fell in action with
the Spaniards in 1591, was a native.
Bidfield, tithing, Bisley par., E. Gloucestershire, 3¼
miles E. of Stroud.
Bidford, par. and vil. withry. sta., S. Warwickshire,
on river Avon, 7 miles SW. of Stratford-on-Avon,
3240 ac., pop. 1572; P.O., 1 Bank.
Bids ton, par. with ry. sta., W. Cheshire, near Bir-
kenhead, 4260 ac., pop. 2487. Bidston Hill commands
a good view of surrounding country ; a lighthouse
stands on the hill, showing a fixed light (Bidston) 300
ft. above high-water, and visible at 3 miles.
Bidston with Ford, township, 3 miles W. of Bir-
kenhead, W. Cheshire, 1713 ac., pop. 270.
Bielby, township, Hayton par., East-Riding York-
shire, 3¼ miles SW. of Pocklington, 1737 ac., pop. 220.
Biel House, seat, Haddingtonsh., 3¼ m. W. of Dunbar.
Bienacre, hamlet, Woodham Ferris par., W. Essex.
Bierley, Fast, hamlet, Hunsworth township, in par.
and 3 m. SE. of Bradford, E. div. West-Riding Yorksh.
Bierley Lane, hamlet, North Bierley township, Brad-
ford par., E. div. West-Riding Yorkshire.
Bierley, North, township, in par. and 2 miles SE. of
Bradford, E. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, 3342 ac.,
pop. 15,620; extensive coal mines and ironworks.
Bierton with Broughton, par., mid. Bucks, 1¼
mile NE. of Aylesbury, 2442 ac., pop. 812; P.O.
Bieston, township, Wrexham par., E. Denbighshire,
531 ac., pop. 93.
Bifrons, seat, 2 miles SE. of Canterbury, E. Kent.
Big.—rivulet, NE. co. Louth, flowing 5 miles SE. to
Dundalk Bay.—2. Big, island, in Wexford Harb., co.
Wexford, 124 ac.
Biga, affluent of river Clewydog, SW. Montgomery-
shire, 5 miles long.
Bigbury, par. and vil., S. Devon, on river Avon,
3¼ miles S. of Modbury, 3167 ac., pop. 451.
Bigbury Bay, on SW. coast of Devon; beset with
rocks, and dangerous to navigation.
Bigby, par. and township, N. Lincolnshire, 4 miles
E. of Glandford Brigg—par., 3440 ac., pop. 689; town-
ship, pop. 360.
Big Collon, hill, in co. and 8 miles NE. of Antrim,
alt. 1159 ft.
Big Copeland, oneofthe Copeland Isis., N. co. Down.
Bigga, uninhabited island, in Yell Sound, Shetland.
Biggar, hamlet, Walney chapelry, Dalton-in-Furness
par., N. Lancashire.
Biggar, par. and town, on E. border of Lanarkshire,
If mile NE. of Symington junc., and 15 miles SE. of
Lanark by rail, 7272 ac., pop. 2128 ; town, pop. 1556;
P.O., T.O., 3 Banks. Market-day, Thursday.
Biggar Burn, rivulet, in Lanarksh. and Peeblessh.,
flowing 6¼ m. S. and SW. to the Tweed near Drummelzier.
Biggen. See Newbiggin.
Bigges Quarter, township, Long Horsley par., N.
Northumb., 6 m. NW. of Morpeth, 2925 ac., pop. 261.
Biggin.—township, in par. and 4¼ miles SW. of
Wirksworth, N. Derbyshire, 608 ac., pop. 125.—2.
Biggin, township, Kirk Fenton par., E. div. West-
Riding Yorkshire, 6¼ miles NW. of Selby, 724 ac., pop.
124.—3. Biggin, hamlet, in par. and 2 miles NW. of
Oundle, N. Northamptonshire. The seat of Biggin
House is in the vicinity.—4. Biggin (Warwickshire).
See Newton and Biggin. _
Biggin, Low, hamlet, in township and par. and 2
miles W. of Kirkby Lonsdale, Westmorland.
Biggin St Thomas, eccl. dist., Hartington par.,
Derbyshire, pop. 379.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)