and township, NE. Lancashire, 9 miles E. of Preston
and 210 miles NW. of London by rail—par., 48,281
ac., pop. 161,617; township, 3681 ac.. pop. 91,958;
bor., 6974 ac., pop. 104,014 ; 4 Banks, 2 news-
papers. Market - days, Wednesday and Saturday.
It is one of the chief seats of cotton manufacture,
besides producing calico, muslin, &c., there being over
140 mills at work. There are also factories for making
cotton machinery and steam-engines. B. has been
associated with many improvements in the mfr. of
cotton, among which was the invention (1767) of
the Spinning Jenny by James Hargreaves, who
died in 1770. There are several fine churches and
public buildings. A Corporation Park (50 ac. in area)
is on the outskirts of the town. Several lines of railway
converge here, and pass through one principal station
belonging to the Lancashire and Yorkshire Ry. Co.
B. returns 2 members to Parliament.—3. Blackburn,
hamlet, Kimberworth township, S. div. West-Riding
Yorkshire, 1 mile W. of Rotherham.—4. Blackburn,
affluent of river S. Tyne, E. Cumberland, joining Tyne
2 miles above Alston.
Blackburn.—vil., Kinnellar par., E. Aberdeensh.,
9 miles NW. of Aberdeen; P.O.—2. Blackburn, vil.,
Dunfermline par., SW. Fifeshire.—3. Blackburn,
vil., Whitburn and Livingstone pars., S. Linlithgow-
shire, 2¼ miles S. of Bathgate, pop. 790 ; P.O.
Black Burn, affluent of river Liddel, Castleton par.,
SW. Roxburghsh.; is celebrated for its beautiful falls.
Blackbury, hamlet, Colyton Rawleigh par., E.
Devon, 4 m. SW. of Colyton; Roman camp in vicinity.
Black Callerton, township, Newburn par., S. North-
umberland, 6 m. NW. of Newcastle, 1384 ac., pop. 156.
Black Carts •with Kycliill, township, Simonburn
par., S. Northumberland, 8¼ miles NW. of Hexham,
near Roman wall, pop. 13.
Black Castle, seat, near Navan, mid. co. Meath.
Black Cave, a cavern in the Struey Rocks, on S. coast
of Arran, Butesh.; is 160 ft. long, 80 high, and 40 wide.
Blackcave Head, near Larne, E. co. Antrim.
Blackchester, ancient camp, in par. and 2¼ miles
NW. of Lauder town, Berwickshire.
Black Combe, mountain, W. Cumberland, 6¼ miles
SE. of Ravenglass, alt. 1919 ft.
Blackcraig, vil., Minnigaff par., mid. W. border
Kirkcudbrightshire, 2 miles SE. of Newton-Stewart;
the lead and zinc mines here were abandoned in 1883.
Black Craig.—hamlet, Port of Menteith par., on S.
border of Perthshire. — 2. Black Craig, mountain,
New Cumnock par., mid. Ayrshire, alt. 2298 ft.—3.
Black Craig, hill, Creich par., N. Fifeshire, 6¼ miles
NE. of Newburgh, alt. 665 ft.
Blackden, township, Sandbach par., mid. Cheshire,
6¼ miles SE. of Knutsford, 749 ac., pop. 142. The seat
of Blackden Hall is in vicinity.
Black Dog, place with P.O. under Witheridge, N.
Blackdown.—vil., Broadwinsor par., W. Dorset, 5¼
miles NW. of Beaminster.—2. Blackdown, hamlet,
near Kidderminster, N. Worcestershire.
Black Down.—tithing, in par. and 6¼ miles SW. of
Crewkerne, W. Somerset.—2. Black Down, highest
peak of Mendip Hills, E. Somerset, 3 miles NE. of Ax-
bridge, alt. 1100 ft.; commands extensive view.—3.
Black Down, mountain ridge, on borders of Somerset
and Devon, crowned with column in honour of Well-
ington, alt. 1160 ft.—4. Black Down, hill ridge, in
NW. of Dorset, and crowned by monument to Admiral
Sir Thomas Hardy (1769-1839), alt. 817 ft.—5. Black
Down, high ridge, on E. border of Hants, between
Liphook and Petersfield.—6. Black Down, eminence,
in Isle of Wight, 3¼ miles NW. of Ventnor.
Black Dyke, sta. on North British Ry., 8 miles NW.
of Wigton, Cumberland.
Blackenhurst, hundred, E. Worcestershire, 16,562
ac., pop. 4030; contains 10 pars, and part of another.
Blacker.—hamlet, Worsbrough township, Darfield
par., S. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, 2 miles S. of,
Barnsley.—2. Blacker, hamlet, Darton township and
par., S. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, 3 miles NW. of
Blackerstone, detached portion of Longformacus
par., Berwickshire ; contains Biaekcrstone estate.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)