Bolesworth Castle, 5 m. SW. of Tarporley, Cheshire.
Bolfracks, detached portion of Fortingall par., mid.
Perthshire, near Aberfeldy. Bolfracks House, here,
belongs to the Earl of Breadalbane.
Bolgoed, seat, in co. and 5 miles SW. of Brecknock.
Bollnalca. See Ballinalea, co. Wicklow.
Bolingbroke.—wapentake, mid. Lincolnshire, 56,228
ac., pop. 11,291; contains 27 pars.—2. Bolingbroke,
par. and vil., mid. Lincolnshire, 34 m. SW. of Spilsby,
2570 ac., pop. 459; P.O., called Old Bolingbroke; has
the remains of a castle in which Henry IY. was born.
Bolingbroke, New, eccl. dist. and vil., mid. Lincoln-
shire, 74 miles SW. of Spilsby, pop. 519 ; P.O.
Bolingey, 4 m. NE. of St Agnes, AY. Cornwall; P.O.
Bollait, vil., St Buryan par., W. Cornwall, 44 miles
SW. of Penzance; two standing stones and a stone
circle are in the vicinity.
Bolland Forest. See Rowland.
Bollin, affluent of river Mersey, Cheshire; rises
near Macclesfield and flows NAY. to Mersey 1 mile
below AVarburton; 20 miles long.
Bollin Fee, township, AVilmslow par., E. Cheshire,
on river Bollin, 6 miles SAY. of Stockport, 2682 ac.,
pop. 2856 ; has silk and cotton mfrs.
Bollingliain, hamlet, on AY. border of Herefordshire,
24 miles S. of Kington.
Bollington.—township, Rostherne par., mid. Che-
shire, near river Bollin, 3 miles SW. of Altrincham,
647 ac., pop. 272.-—2. Bollington, township with
ry. sta., Prestbury par., E. Cheshire, 24 miles NE. of
Macclesfield, 1291 ac., pop. 5464; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank;
has silk and cotton factories.
Bollom, hamlet, Clareborough par., N. Notts, 14
mile N. of East Retford.
Bolney.—par. and vil., AY. Sussex, 34 miles SW. of
Cuckfield, 3546 ac., pop. 800; P.O.-—2. Bolney, hamlet,
Harpsden par., SE. Oxfordshire, 2 miles S. of Henley.
B0I11 burst, par., in NE. of co. and 64 miles NE. of
Bedford, 2230 ac., pop. 279 ; P.O.
Bolnore, seat, 2 miles SE. of Cuckfield, E. Sussex.
Bolsover.—par., township, and town, E. Derbyshire,
6 miles E. of Chesterfield ry. sta.—par., 6060 ac., pop.
2375 ; township, 5340 ac., pop. 2281; P.O.,T.O. In the
par. are quarries of magnesian limestone, from which
the Houses of Parliament were built. Bolsover
Castle is a seat of the Duke of Portland.
Bolsterstone, eccl. dist., Ecclesfield par., S. div.
AVest-Riding Yorkshire, on river Don, 8 miles NW. of
Sheffield, pop. 3737 ; P.O.
Boltachan, mountain tarn, Comrie par., Perthshire,
1£ mile N. of St Fillans, alt. 1483 ft.
Boltbury, hamlet, Malborough par., S. Devon, on
coast, 44 miles SW. of Kingsbridge.
Boltby, township, Feliskirk par., North-Riding
Yorkshire, 5 miles NE. of Thirsk, 4712 ac., pop. 304; P.O.
Bolt Head, rugged headland, 430 ft. high, on coast
of Devon, at W. side of mouth of river Salcombe.
Bolton.—or Bolton-lc-Moors, par., mun. and pari,
bor., and manufacturing town, SE. Lancashire, on river
Croal, 11 miles NW. of Manchester and 194 miles NW.
of London by rail—par., 35,406 ac. (of which289 ac. are
water), pop. 124,763 ; mun. bor., 2404 ac., pop. 105,414 ;
pari, bor., 2525 ac., pop. 108,963; 4 Banks, 7 news-
papers. Market-days. Monday and Saturday. The
town, which is divided by the river Croal into Great and
Little Bolton, is one of the oldest seats of the cotton
mfr., its staple industry; about 26,000 tons of raw
material are manufactured annually into plain and
fancy cotton goods. It has extensive bleaching,
chemical, and engineering works, foundries, paper-
mills, &c. Numerous collieries are in the neighbour-
hood. The bor. returns 2 members to Parliament.—
2. Bolton, par. and vil., AAr. Cumberland, on river
Ellen, 1 mile NAV. of Ireby, 8456 ac., pop. 908; coal,
copper ore, and limestone are worked.—3. Bolton,
township. Edlingham par., N. Northumberland, on
river Ain, 4 miles NW. of Alnwick, 2060 ac., pop. 139 ;
the Earl of Surrey mustered his forces here before
the battle of Flodden.—4. Bolton, township and eccl.
dist., Morland par., N. AVestmorland, 2 miles from
Kirkby Thore ry. sta. and 4 miles NAY. of Appleby, on
river Eden, 2791 ac., pop. 404 ; P.O.—5. Bolton, town-
ship, Bishop AVilton par., East-Riding Yorkshire, 3
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)