reviewed his army before he marched to the battle of
Borough Bond, sta. on London, Chatham, and
Dover Ry., 1 mile S. of St Pauls, London.
Borough Street, hamlet, 2¼m. SE. of Epsom, Surrey.
Borras Hovah, township, in par. and 3 miles NE. of
Wrexham, E. Denbighshire, 461 ac., pop. 41.
Borras Riffre, township, Gresford par., E. Denbigh-
shire, 5 miles N. of Wrexham, 341 ac., pop. 45.
Borris.—par., mid. Queens co, containing Mary-
borough, 7049 ac., pop. 3840.—2. Borris, or Borris-
Idrone, vil. with ry. sta., Clonygoose par., in co. and
17 miles S. of Carlow, 75 miles SW. of Dublin by rail,
pop. 617; P.O., T.o. Market-day, Thursday. Borris
Castle, the seat of the Kavanaghs, is in the vicinity.
Borris-in-Ossory, small town, Aghaboe par., W.
Queens co., on river Nore, 3¼ miles N. of Ballybrophy
ry. sta., pop. 518; P.O., T.O.
Borrismore, par. and seat, N. co. Kilkenny, 2 miles
S. of Johnstown, 1271 ac., pop. 74.
Borrisnafarney, par., SW. Kings co. and NW. co.
Tipperary, 6 miles SW. of Roscrea, 4557 ac., pop. 352.
Borrisokane, par. and vil., N. co. Tipperary, 6 miles
NW. of Cloghjordan ry. sta.—par., 5128 ac., pop. 1502;
vil., pop. 693; P.O., T.o. Market-day, Tuesday.
Borrisoleigh, vil., Two-mile-borris par., mid. co.
Tipperary, 6 m. SW. of Templemore ry. sta. and 8 m.
NW. of Thurles, pop. 788; P.O., T.o. Mkt.-day, Mon.
Borrodalc, seat, SW. Inverness-sh., on the shore of
Loch-na-Nuagh; the first resting-place of Prince Charles
on arriving in Scotland with 7 followers, 25th July 1745.
Borrolan, loch (1 mile long), Assynt par., on border of
Ross-shire and Sutherlandshire, 26 miles W. of Lairg.
Borrow, affluent of river Lune, Westmorland, 1¼
mile below Orton; 8 miles long.
Borrowash, vil. with ry. sta., Ockbrook par., in co.
and 4 miles SE. of Derby; P.O.
Borrow Bridge, High, hamlet, on Borrow Beck,
Westmorland, 7 miles NE. of Kendal.
Borrow Bridge, Low, hamlet with inn, on Borrow
Beck, Westmorland, 3 miles N. by W. of Low Gill
junction; a resort of anglers.
Borrowby.—township, Leake par., North-Riding
Yorkshire, 5 miles N. of Thirsk, 924 ac., pop. 323; P.O.
—2. Borrowby, township, Lythe par., North-Riding
Yorkshire, 10 miles NW. of Whitby, 682 ac., pop. 88.
Borrowdale. — township, Crosthwaite par., W.
Cumberland, 5 miles S. of Keswick, 16,666 ac. (362
water), pop. 449; famous for its blacklead mines.—
2. Borrowdale, romantic valley, W. Cumberland,
stretching between lofty peaks from about Glaramara
mountain N. to Derwent Water; the Bowder Stone,
opposite Castle Crag, is a mass of fallen rock, 62 ft.
long, 36 high, and 84 in circumference.—3. Borrow-
dale, glen of the river Borrow, Westmorland.
Borrowdon. See Burradon.
Borrowstoun, vil., Borrowstounness par., N. Lin-
Borrowstounness, or Boness, par. and seaport,
NW. Linlithgowsh., on Firth of Forth, 23 miles NW. of
Edinburgh by rail, 3146 ac., pop. 6088; town, pop. 5284;
P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. It lies in a rich
mineral district, and has mfrs. of salt, vitriol, soap,
malt, and earthenware. A new wet dock (7¼ ac.) was
opened in 1881; a considerable coasting trade is carried
on. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) Adjacent
to the town are remains of the Roman wall of Antoninus,
known as Grahams Dyke.
Borrowstown, coast hamlet, Reay par., N. Caith-
ness-shire, 7 miles W. of Thurso.
Borstal, 2 miles from Rochester, mid. Kent; P.O.
Borth.—coast vil. and watering-place with ry. sta.,
Cyfoethybrenin township, NW. Cardiganshire, 8 miles
N. of Aberystwith; P.O., T.O. The sands extend 4
miles N. to estuary of river Dovey.—2. Borth, 2 miles
from Portmadoc ry. sta., Carnarvonshire; P.O.
Borthin, hamlet, Llandyssil par., S. Cardiganshire,
8 miles E. of Newcastle-Emlyn.
Borth Point, headland, on NW. coast of Cardigan-
shire, 4 miles N. of Aberystwith.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)