S. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, 7 miles NW. of
Sheffield, 38,425 ac., pop. 11,170; P.O. The ry. sta. is
at Qughty Bridge, 3 miles E. of the vil. The township
contains several large reservoirs for the water supply of
Sheffield; one of them burst its embankment in 1864,
and 250 persons were drowned.
Bradfield Combust, par., W. Suffolk, 5| miles SE.
of Bury St Edmunds, 818 ac., pop. 155.
Bradfield, low, vil., Ecclesfield par., S. div. West-
Riding Yorkshire, 6 miles NW. of Sheffield.
Bradfield St Clare, par., W. Suffolk, 5 miles SE. of
Bury St Edmunds, 1428 ac., pop. 250.
Bradfield St George, par., W. Suffolk, 4 miles SE. of
Bury St Edmunds, 1984 ac., pop. 443.
Bradford.—pari, and mun. bor., par., and township,
N. div. AYest-Riding Yorkshire, 8 miles W. of Leeds, 34
SW. of York, and 191 from London by rail—par.,
32,929 ac., pop. 251,553; township, 1595 ac., pop.
68,372; bor., 10,775 ac., pop. 194,495 (the mun. bor.
was considerably extended in 1882, and the pari. bor.
made conterminous with it in 1885, when it got an extra
member); 10 Banks, 7 newspapers. Market-days, Mon-
day and Thursday ; has 5 public parks, and numerous
handsome public buildings,—St Georges Hall (1851)
accommodates 5000. Among its educational institu-
tions are the Free Grammar School, endowed by
Charles II.; and the Technical College (1882). B. is the
chief seat in England of the mfr. of worsted and
woollen stuffs, there being about 300 mills at work;
it also carries on the mfr. of mixed cotton and silk
goods, velvets, alpacas, &c. The Saltaire alpaca and
mohair mills, erected by Sir Titus Salt, Bart., stand on
the river Aire, 3 miles to the NAY. There are numerous
collieries and iron-works in the district. B. returns
3 members to Parliament—3 divisions, viz., AVest,
Central, and East, 1 member for each division.—2.
Bradford, par., N. Devon, on river Torridge, 13
miles SW. of Bideford, 3468 ac., pop. 377; contains
B. Manor.—3. Bradford, township, SW. Lancashire,
4 miles E. of Manchester, 288 ac., pop. 16,121; P.O., T.o.
—4. Bradford, township, Bolam par., S. Northumber-
land, on river Blyth, 10 miles SW. of Morpeth, 1093ac.,
pop. 41.—5. Bradford, township, Bamburgh par., N.
Northumberland, 3£ miles SE. of Belford, 561 ac., pop.
57.—6. Bradford, par. and vil., AV. Somerset, on river
Tone, 34 miles SW. of Taunton, 1782 ac., pop. 462; P.O.
—7. Bradford (Wilts). See Bradford-on-Avon.
Bradford Abbas, par. and vil., N. Dorset, on river
Yeo, 34miles SW. of Sherborne, 1139 ac., pop. 510; P.O.
Bradford Bale, a romantic valley, below the vil. of
Youlgreave, N. Derbyshire.
Bradford Down, hill range, SW. Dorset.
Bradford, North, hundred, N. Shropshire, 113,276
ac., pop. 28,195; contains 16 pars.
Bradford on Avon.—hundred, N. Wilts, 17,426 ac.,
pop. 9729 ; contains 5 pars.—2. Bradford on Avon,
par. and market town, N. Wilts, 9 miles SE. of Bath
and 98 miles W. of London by rail—par., 11,310 ac., pop.
8259 ; town, pop. 4922; 2 Banks ; kerseymere was first
made here, but the woollen mfrs. of B. have declined in
importance. The church of St Laurence is the only
perfect Saxon church in England. The town is situated
on both sides of the Avon, which is here crossed by
Bradford Peverell, par., vil., and seat, SW. Dorset,
3 miles NW. of Dorchester, 2700 ac., pop. 330.
Bradford, South, hundred, N. Shropshire, 83,538
ac., pop. 49,420 ; contains 26 pars.
Bradford, West, township, Mitton par., N. div.
West-Riding Yorkshire, on river Ribble, 2 miles N. of
Clitheroe, 1955 ac., pop. 311.
Bradgate, hamlet, Kimberworth par., S. div. West-
Riding Yorkshire, 1 mile W. of Rotherham.
Bradgate Park, par. and seat, in co. and 5 miles
NW. of Leicester, 1120 ac., pop. 6.
Bradholme, hamlet, Thorne par., S. div. West-
Bradiford, vil., Pilton par., N. Devon, 1 mile from
Brading, par. and town with ry. sta., Isle of Wight,
Hants, 4 miles S. of Ryde, 8273 ac. (33 water) and 1336
tidal water and foreshore, pop. 7952; P.O., T.o. It is
an ancient place, and was formerly a pari. bor. It has
trade in corn and fish. Brading Down commands an
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)