pop. 3087; P.O., t.o., 2 Banks. Market-day, Thursday.
See Glanford Brigg.
Brigham.—par. and township with ry. sta., W.
Cumberland, on river Derwent, 2 miles W. of Cocker-
mouth—par., 37,754 ac. land and 1391 water, pop. 8639;
township, 1749 ac., pop. 790; contains collieries, and
slate and freestone quarries.—2. Brigham, township,
Foston-on-the-Wolds par., East-Biding Yorkshire, 4|
miles SE. of Great Driffield, 1382 ac., pop. 99; P.O.
Brighouse, town with ry. sta., Halifax par., N. div.
West-Riding Yorkshire, 6 miles N. of Huddersfield,
pop. 7965; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 2 newspapers; has
woollen and worsted mfrs.
Bright, par., S. co. Down, 3 m. S. of Downpatrick,
5615 ac., pop. 1041; P.O.; has the ruins of 2 castles.
Briglitford, hundred, Bramber rape, W. Sussex,
15,890 ac., pop. 15,813; contains 7 pars.
Brighthampton, township and hamlet, in par. and
4 miles E. of Bampton, Oxfordshire, 665 ac., pop. 74.
Brighthelmstone, the ancient name of Brighton:
Brighthoimlec, Great, hamlet, Ecclesfield par., S.
div. West-Riding Yorkshire, 6 miles NW. of Sheffield.
Brightley.—hamlet, Okehampton par., S. Devon.
—2. Brightley, hamlet, Chittlehampton par., N.
Brightling, par., E. Sussex, 64 miles NW. of Battle,
4647 ac., pop. 674; P.O. Brightling Down (646 ft.)
commands an extensive view.
Brightlingsca, par. and seaport with ry. sta., NE.
Essex, on estuary of river Colne, 8 miles SE. of Col-
chester, 2869 ac. and 678 tidal water and foreshore, pop.
3311; P.O., T.O. The inhabitants are for the most part
engaged in the oyster fisheries.
Brighton, fashionable watering-place, pari, and
mun. bor., and par., on the coast of E. Sussex, 50
miles S. of London by rail—par., 1625 ac. land and
91 foreshore, pop. 99,091; pari, bor., 3715 ac., pop.
128,440; mun. bor., 2514 ac., pop. 107,546; 4 Banks,
12 newspapers. Market-day, Thursday. The town
extends about 3 miles along the shore, which is faced
by a massive sea-wall with a drive and promenade along
its whole length. It has two fine promenade piers each
over 1000 ft. in length. The Pavilion, a unique pile of
domes and minarets, in the Oriental style of architec-
ture, built (1784-1823) by George IV. for a royal resi-
dence—its original cost was upwards of £1,000,000;
it was purchased by the town in 1849 for £53,000—
contains an assembly-room for 3000 persons, museum,
picture gallery, and free library, and is surrounded by
extensive pleasure-grounds. The Aquarium, opened in
1872, has two tanks capable of holding 100,000 gallons
of water each. B. was for some centuries previous to
1780 only a populous fishing village; the herring and
mackerel fisheries are still extensively carried on. The
bor. returns 2 members to Parliament.
Brighton, vil., in par. and 1£ mile SW. of Cupar,
Brighton, New. See New Brighton.
Brighton Road, ry. sta., on N. border of E. Wor-
cestershire and in S. suburbs of Birmingham.
Brightons, vil., with sandstone quarries, in par. and
£ mile SW. of Polmont, Stirlingshire.
Brightslde Bierlow, township and vil. with ry. sta.,
S. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, in par. and bor. of
Sheffield, 2821 ac., pop. 56,719. Brightsidc Lane, 1
mile from sta.; P.O.
Brightwaltham, par., W. Berks, 7 miles S. of
Wantage, 2054 ac., pop. 428; P.O.
Briglitwell.—par., E. Suffolk, 5 miles SE. of Ips-
wich, 1114 ac., pop. 68.—2. Briglitwell, par., N.
Berks, 2 miles NW. of Wallingford, 2064 ac., pop.
Briglitwell Baldwin, par., SE. Oxfordshire, 2
miles NW. of Waltington, 1612 ac., pop. 220.
Brightwell Prior and Briglitwell Salome. See
Brightwells Barrow, hundred, E. Gloucestershire,
36,013 ac., pop. 7052 ; contains 11 pars.
Brlghty, vil., Murroes par., Forfarshire, 64 miles NW.
Brigmerston, hamlet, Milston par., S. Wilts, on
river Avon. 3 miles N. of Amesbury.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)