Bttalnaluib, hamlet, Gairloch par., Ross-shire.
Bubb Down, wooded eminence, W. Dorset, 2 miles
NE. of Evershot.
Bubbenhall, par., N. Warwickshire, on river Avon,
5 miles SE. of Coventry, 1290 ac., pop. 263.
Bubnell, hamlet with school, 1 mile NAY. of Baslow,
N. Derbyshire. See Baslow and Bubnell.
Bubney, hamlet, in par. and 1 mile NW. of Whit-
church, N. Shropshire.
Bubwith, par. and township with ry. sta., East-
Riding Yorkshire, on river Derwent, 6 miles NE. of
Selby—par., 10,134 ac., pop. 1236; township, 1551 ac.,
pop. 514 ; P.O., T.O.
Buccleuch, ancient par., now comprehended in
Ettrick par., S. Selkirkshire, 13 miles W. of Hawick.
From it the title of duke is given to the ancient family
Buchan.—dist., NE. Aberdeenshire, extending along
the coast from Ythan to Deveron rivers, a distance of
40 miles. Its chief towns are Peterhead and Fraser-
burgh, and the coast is remarkable for its magnificent
rock scenery.—2. Buchan, hamlet, Kelton par., Kirk-
cudbrightshire, 4 mile SAY. of Castle-Douglas.
Buchanan, par., W. Stirlingshire, 47,804 ac. (6206
water), pop. 550; contains Buchanan Castle, seat of
the Duke of Montrose, 1£ mile W. of Drymen.
Buchanhavcn, fishing vil., in par. and 14 mile N.
of Peterhead, E. Aberdeenshire, pop. 532.
Buchan Ness, on E. coast of Aberdeenshire, 3 miles
S. of Peterhead; the most easterly point of the Scot-
tish mainland; has a lighthouse with flashing light
seen 17 miles.
Bnchanstone, sta. on Great North of Scotland Ry.,
E. Aberdeenshire, 1 mile NW. of Oyne.
Buchanty, vil., FowlisAVester par., mid. Perthshire,
on Almond river, 10 miles NE. of Crieff; P.O.
Buchany, vil., Kilmadock par., S. Perthshire, 4 mile
NAY. of Doune.
Bucholic, ruined castle, Canisbay par., Caithness-sh.
Bucinch, wooded islet, in Loch Lomond, Buchanan
Buckabank, township, Dalston par., E. Cumberland,
54 miles SW. of Carlisle.
Buckby, Long, par. and vil. with ry. sta., S. North-
amptonshire, 54 miles NE. of Daventry, 3900 ac., pop.
2543; P.O., T.O.
Buckden.—par. and vil. with ry. sta. (Offord and
Buckden), in co. and 4 miles SW. of Huntingdon, 3590
ac., pop. 1044; P.O., T.O. ; 14 mile NW. of the sta. is
Buckdcn Palace, formerly the episcopal mansion of
the Bishops of Lincoln.—2. Buckdcn, township, Arn-
cliffe par., N. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, on river
AYharfe, 114 miles NE. of Settle, 16,076 ac. (31 water),
pop. 297 ; P.O.; Buckden Pikes (2302 ft. high) are in
Buckenhaiu, par. and ry. sta., S. Norfolk, on river
Yare, 74 miles SE. of Norwich, 931 ac., pop. 113.
Buckenham, New, par. and vil., S. Norfolk, 4 miles
SW. of Attleborough, 324 ac., pop. 548 ; P.O., T.O.
Buckenham, Old, par. and vil., S. Norfolk, 24 miles
SAY. of Attleborough, 4986 ac., pop. 1146; P.O. ; con-
tains ruins of Buckenham Abbey; also Buckenham
House, the property of Lord Petre, who holds it by the
tenure of serving as butler at the Coronation.
Buckenhaui-near-Tofts, or Buckenham Parva,
par., AY. Norfolk, on river Wissey, 6 miles SW. of
Watton, 931 ac., pop. 49.
Buckenhlll, place, Woolhope par., SE. Hereford-
shire, 64 miles N. of Ross.
Buckerell, par., N. Devon, on river Otter, 24 miles
AY. of Honiton, 1559 ac., pop. 255 ; P.O.
Bucket, rivulet, W. Aberdeenshire, flowing 7 miles
SE. to the river Don.
Bucket, Bridge of. See Bridge of Bucket.
Buckfastlctgh, par. and vil. with ry. sta., S. Devon,
54 miles NW. of Totnes, 5928 ac., pop. 2802; P.O., T.O.
Market-day, Friday; has mfrs. of blankets and serges;
contains Buckfastleigh Abbey, a stately Tudor man-
sion, near the ruins of the old abbey.
Buckhaven, fishing town, Wemysspar., S. Fifeshire,
44 miles NE. of Dysart, pop. 2952; P.O., t.o., 1 Bank;
has a good pier and harb., and a ry. (4 miles long) con-
nects it with Thornton junction.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)