some woollen mfr.; and in the district are coal pits and
stone quarries. Sir Robert Peel (1788-1850) was born
at the adjoining seat of Chamber Hall. B. is connected
bycanal with Manchester and Bolton. The bor. returns
1 member to Parliament.—2. Bury, vil., N. Herts, 14
mile NW. of Stevenage.—3. Bury, par., NE. Hun-
tingdonshire, near Ramsey, 1645 ac., pop. 349 ; P.O.—
4. Bury, hamlet, Brompton Regis par., AV. Somerset,
2 miles E. of Dulverton. Bury Castle is in the vicinity.
—5. Bury, hundred, Arundel rape, AV. Sussex, 20,161
ac., pop. 3801; contains 8 pars, and part of another.
—6. Bury, par., W. Sussex, on river Arun, 4 miles N.
of Arundel, 3495 ac., pop. 517; P.O.
Bury Blunsdon, tithing, in par. and 2 miles W. of
Highworth, N. Wilts.
Bury Ditches, ancient British camp, 3 miles S. of
Bishops Castle, S. Shropshire.
Bury Hill.—seat, 1 mile SE. of Dorking, W. Surrey.
—2. Bury Hill, eminence, crowned with a strong
ancient camp, 14 mile SAV. of Andover, N. Hants.
Bury Hill Hall, 14m. SE. of Mansfield, N. Notts; in
vicinity are remains of an extensive Roman encampment.
Bury Lane, hamlet and ry. sta. (Glazebury and
Bury Lane), Newchurch Kenyon par., SAV. Lancashire,
11 miles AV. of Manchester.
Bury Mead, hamlet, Harmondsworth par., Middle-
sex, 54 miles SW. of Hounslow.
Bury St Edmunds, pari, and mun. bor., Suffolk,
on river Lark, 14 miles E. of Newmarket, 26 miles
NW. of Ipswich, and 78 miles NE. of London by
rail, 2938 ac., pop. 16,111; 3 Banks, 3 newspapers.
Market day, Wednesday; has extensive mfrs. of agri-
cultural implements, and a great trade in agricultural
produce. B., with its abbey, was founded by Canute,
to commemorate the martyrdom of Edmund, king of
East Anglia, in 870. Its Grammar School was founded
by Edward AH. Here were born Bishop Gardiner
(1483-1555), Bishop Blomfield of London (1786-1857),
Sir Nicholas Bacon (1510-1579), lawyer and statesman,
and many other eminent men. The bor. returns 1
member to Parliament. It sent 2 members till 1885.
Bnrythorpe, par. and vil., East-Riding Yorkshire,
5 miles S. of New Malton, 1250 ac., pop. 262.
Bury Walls, Roman camp, occupying 20 ac., 4 miles
SE. of Wem, N. Shropshire.
Bury Wood, hamlet, N. Wilts, on border of co.,
near Slaugbterford; remains of a strong Danish camp.
Bnshridge, eccl. dist., hamlet, and seat, in par. and
14 mile S. of Godalming, W. Surrey, pop. 868.
Bnshy, Great and Little, 2 townships with ry. sta.
(Busby), in par. and 24 miles S. of Stokesley, North-
Riding Yorkshire—Great B., 1404 ac., pop. 98; Little
B., 705 ac., pop. 33.
Busby, town, E. Kilbride par., Lanarkshire, and
Mearns par., Renfrewshire, on AYhite Cart river, 7
miles S. of Glasgow by rail, pop. 2155; P.O., T.O. It has
cotton-mills and print-works, and the dist. is rich in
Buscot, par., NW. Berks, on river Isis, 44 miles
NAY. of Earringdon, 2887 ac. (53water), pop. 371; P.O.;
contains Buscot Hark.
Bush.—place, East Peckham par., mid. Kent, 8
miles SW. of Maidstone.—2. Busb, hamlet, 5 miles
W. of Hexham, S. Northumberland.
Busk.—hamlet, near Lauriston sta., St Cyrus par.,
5. Kincardineshire.—2. Bush, seat, Glencorse par.,
Edinburghshire, 2 miles N. by E. of Penicuik.
Bush.—hamlet, 2 miles NW. of Dunboyne ry. sta.,
SW. co. Meath.—2. Busb, ry. sta., 10 miles E. of
Dundalk, NE. co. Louth.—3. Busb, rivulet, N. co.
Antrim, entering the Atlantic at Port Ballintra.
Bushbnry, par., township, vil., and ry. junc., W.
Staffordshire, 14mileN. of AVolverhampton—par., 6377
ac., pop. 3065; township, 2957 ac., pop. 1770 ; contains
Bushbury Hall. The vil. is 1 mile from sta.
Bushby, township, Thurnby par., in S. of co. and
4 miles SE. of Leicester, 760 ac., pop. 56.
Bush End, eccl. dist. (St John), Hatfield par., AY.
Essex, pop. 337.
Bushey, par. and vil. with ry. sta., SW. Herts, 14
mileS. of Watford Junction, 3218 ac., pop. 4788 ; P.O.,
T.O. Bushey Heath, 14 mile S. of Bushey; P.O., T.O.
Bushey New Town, 2 miles S. of Watford; P.O.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)