pop. 185,594. The N. section of the county, including
the Isle of Ely and part of the Great Bedford Level, is
a large flat expanse of country, which, for the most
part, formerly consisted of fen and marsh. It is now
intersected in all directions by wide trenches or canals.
The land, thus drained and reclaimed, is a rich,
black soil, and bears excellent crops. From this tract
the pleasant vale of the Cam stretches away to the
SW., and contains a great number of excellent dairy
farms. (For agricultural statistics, see Appendix.)
Cambridgeshire comprises 17 hundreds, 172 pars, with
parts of 7 others, the pari, and mun. bor. of Cambridge
(1 member, and Cambridge University 2 members), and
the mun. bor. of Wisbech. It is almost entirely in the
diocese of Ely. For parliamentary purposes it is divided
into 3 divisions, viz., Northern or Wisbech, Western
or Chesterton, and Eastern or Newmarket, 1 member
for each division.
Cambus, vil., in par. and 2 miles NW. of Alloa,
Clackmannanshire; P.O., T.O.; has ry. sta., small harb.,
Cam b us bar ron, vil., in co. and 1J mile SW. of
Stirling, pop. 1135 ; P.O.; has woollen mfrs.
Gambits (Burn of), hamlet, 2 miles NW. of Doune,
Perthshire; P.O. See Burn-of-Cambus.
Cambuscurry, hill (600 ft.) and bay, Edderton par.,
Boss-shire, on inner Dornoch Firth, above Meikle
Ferry, 7 miles NW. of Tain; the bay has a depth of
only 6 ft. at high water.
Cambusrtoon, seat, on river Doon, in co. and 2J
miles S. of Ayr.
Gambuskennetb Abbey, ruins, in co. and 3 miles
E. of Stirling, on river Forth ; founded by David I., in
1147, it was a fine specimen of the Early English style.
The tower is the only part which now remains entire.
James III. and his Queen, the Princess Margaret of
Denmark, were buried near the high altar. Their
bodies were reinterred under a new tomb erected by
Queen Victoria in 1865.
Cambusketlian, place with grain mills, Kilmarnock
Cambuslang, town and par. (consisting of a cluster
of vils.) with ry. sta., N. Lanarkshire, near river Clyde,
3| miles SE. of Glasgow—par., 5160 ac., pop. 9447;
town, pop. 5538 ; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank; has weaving and
coal-mining; was the scene, in 1741, of an extra-
ordinary religious revival.
Cambusmore, seat, Kilmadock par., SAV. Perth-
shire, on Keltie AVater, 2 miles SE. of Callander ; here,
in his youth, Sir AValter Scott spent several summers.
Cambusncthan, par. and vil. (part of Wishaw), N.
Lanarkshire, 1J? mile NE. of AVishaw ry. sta.—par.,
16,608 ac., pop. 20,823; vil., pop. 1829. The par. con-
tains Wishaw, Newmains, Overtown, Coltness Iron-
works, part of Shotts Ironworks, and other towns and
vils. engaged in the iron trade. Near the Clyde, and
1£ mile SW. of AVishaw ry. sta., is C. House.
Cambus-o-May, sta. on Deeside By., 4 miles E. of
Ballater, SW. Aberdeenshire.
Cambustane, or Camustane, hill with old stone
cross, Monikiepar., Forfarshire, 5 miles NW. of Buddon
Ness, alt. 500 ft.
Cambusvraclian, place with school, Innerwick,
Glenlyon, NW. Perthshire.
Cainbus-WaUace.—locality with ancient Caledonian
tombs, Kilmadock par., Perthshire, 1 mile NW. of
Doune.—2. Cambus-Wallace, seat, 1 mile NE. of
Biggar, E. Lanarkshire.
Camddwr, affluent of river Towy, SE. Cardiganshire.
Camden Place, seat of the Marquis of Camden, W.
Kent, 2 miles NE. of Bromley; was the residence of
Camden, the antiquary, who died here in 1623.
Camden Hoad, sta. on the Midland By., London,
1£ mile NW. of St Pancras.
Camden Town, dist. in N. of London, with sta. on
the North London By.
Came House, 2 miles SE. of Dorchester, Dorset.
Camel, river, E. Cornwall; rises in the moors near
Davidstow, flows S., then NAV. to the Atlantic between
Pentire and Stepper Points; about 30 miles long.
Cameley, par., E. Somerset, 7 miles SW. of Saltford,
1633 ac., pop. 522.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)