Cardeston, par., S. Shropshire, near river Severn,
64 miles W. of Shrewsbury, 2400 ac., pop. 275.
Cardiff, mun. and pari. bor., seaport, and co. town
of Glamorgan, at the mouth of the river Taff and on
the estuary of the Severn, 29 miles AY. of Bristol by
water and 170 miles AY. of London by rail—parlia-
mentary and municipal borough, pop. 82,761; 4
Banks, 5 newspapers. Market-days, Wednesday and
Saturday. In 1801 the pop. was only 1018; in 1841 it
was 10,077; and 59,494 in 1871. The rapid prosperity
of the town is due to the abundance of minerals in
the district. Its exports of coal and iron from the
valleys of Taff, Rhymney, &c., are among the most
important in the kingdom. (For shipping statistics,
see Appendix.) The docks have become very extensive,
and a tidal harbour and low-water pier have been con-
structed. There are also very large iron foundries, tin-
plate works, and iron-shipbuilding yards. The South
AVales University College was opened at C. in 1883.
The bor. unites with Cowbridge and Llantrisaint in
returning 1 member to Pari. Cardiff Castle, originally
founded in 1080, is the property of the Marquis of
Bute, who has converted part of it into a modern seat.
On the pier-head, Bute Dock, is a lighthouse, with
fixed light (Cardiff) seen 10 miles.
Cardiff'Hocks, ry. sta., at the docks, Cardiff.
Cardiffstown. See Kerdiffstown.
Cardigan, mun. bor., par., and co. town of Car-
diganshire, on river Teifi, 3 miles from its mouth, and
8 miles N. of Crymmych Arms ry. sta.—par. (St Mary),
2517 ac., pop. 2727 ; bor. (extending into St Dogmells
par., Pembrokeshire), pop. 3669 ; 2 Banks, 2 news-
papers. Market-day, Saturday. Cardigan has brick,
tile, and agricultural implement works. The salmon
fishery is important. The exports are grain, slates,
and bricks. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.)
There are some ruins of a castle, built in 1090. Car-
digan united with Aberystwith, Lampeter, and Adpar
in returning 1 member to Parliament until 1885.
Cardigan Bay, on the AV. coast of AVales, extending
about 70 miles N. and S. between St Davids Head in
Pembrokeshire and the promontory of Braich-y-Pwll in
Carnarvonshire, about 45 miles wide, and with a sweep
of about 110 miles. In 52° 24' 30" lat. and 5° 0' 30"
long, is a light-vessel, with revolving light seen 10 m.
Cardigan Headland, N. extremity of Pembroke-
shire, 34 miles NAY. of Cardigan.
Cardigan Isle, off SAV. coast of Cardiganshire, at
mouth of river Teifi, 34 miles NW. of Cardigan, area
40 ac.; pastures some sheep.
Cardiganshire, a maritime co. of S. Wales, hounded
on the W. by Cardigan Bay, and landward from N. to S.
by the cos. of Merioneth, Montgomery, Radnor, Breck-
nock, Carmarthen, and Pembroke. Its seaboard is in
the form of a crescent; coast line, 48 miles; extreme
breadth, 22 miles; area, 443,387 ac. ; pop. 70,270.
Rugged mountains and deep valleys occur in the N.
and E. of the co. The summit of Plinlimmon, on the
border of Montgomeryshire, has an alt. of 2469 ft. In
the SAY. the surface is less elevated. The largest
streams are the Teifi, Aeron, and Ystwith. The pre-
vailing rocks of the mountains are clay-slate and
shale. The soil is either peaty or a sandy loam.
The principal crops are oats and barley. Cattle and
sheep are reared in great numbers. (For agricultural
statistics, see Appendix.) Lead ore is worked. The
co. comprises 5 hundreds, 97 pars., the mun. bor. of
Aberystwith, and the greater part of the mun. bor. of
Cardigan. It is entirely in the diocese of St Davids.
It returns 1 member to Parliament.
Cardington.—par. and vil. with ry. sta., in co. and
24 miles SE. of Bedford—par., 5170 ac., pop. 1225;
vil., pop. 512; P.O. C. House, in the vicinity of the
vil., was for some time the residence of Howard (1726-
1790), the philanthropist.—-2. Cardington, par. and
vil., N. Shropshire, 4 miles NE. of Church Stretton,
6713 ac., pop. 576; P.O.
Cardington House, 2 m. NW. of Athy, co. Kildare.
Cardinliani, par. and vil., E. Cornwall, on river
Fowey, 4 miles NE. of Bodmin, 9534 ac., pop. 582; P.O.
Cardinliam Bnry, an ancient circular entrenchment,
is 1 mile to NE. of the vil.
Cardiston. See Cardeston.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)