Cardonald, estate and ry. sta., Abbey par., Ren-
frewshire, on the White Cart, 3 miles E. of Paisley;
belonged anciently to the Stewart family, and passed to
the Lords Blantyre; near ry. sta. is the vil. of C. Mills.
Cardoness, seat, Anwoth par., SW. Kirkcudbright-
shire, on Fleet Bay, 3 miles SW. of Gatehouse of Fleet.
Cardow, distillery, Knockando par., SE. Elginshire,
2 miles NW. of Carron ry. sta.
Cardowan, hamlet with school, Shettleston par.,
NW. Lanarkshire, 5 miles NE. of Glasgow.
Cardrona, seat and sta. on br. of North British Ry.,
in co. and 3£ miles SE. of Peebles.
Cardross.—par. and vil. with ry. sta., on Firth of
Clyde, in co. and 3J miles NW. of Dumbarton, 8264
ac., pop. 9365; P.O. ; between the vil. and Dumbarton
formerly stood the old Castle of Cardross, where King
Robert Bruce died, June 7, 1329. A pillar-bank in the
Clyde shows fixed light seen 4 miles.—2. Cardross,
seat on river Forth, in par. and 2 miles N. of Port-
of-Menteith sta., SW. Perthshire.
Car Dyke, cut, in Fens of S. Lincolnshire, from
Thurlby N. to Sleaford Canal; 22 m. long and 60 wide.
Cardy Rocks, on N. coast of co. Dublin, 2 miles N.
Careby, par. and township, S. Lincolnshire, 51? miles
SW. of Bourn—par., 7760 ac., pop. 294; township,
1454 ac., pop. 168 ; P.O.
Carcglefn, 3 miles from Amlwch, Anglesey; P.O.
Carenewas, place with iron mine, St Eval par., E.
Cornwall, 5 miles NW. of St Columb Major.
Carenza Wartba, place with eccl. ruins and holy
well, St Wenn par., E. Cornwall, 4 m. E. of St Columb.
Careston, par., hamlet, and seat, Forfarshire, 4
miles E. of Brechin, 2085 ac., pop. 194; P.O.
Careswell. See Caverswall.
Carew, par. and vil., in S. of co. and 4 miles E. of
Pembroke, on creek of Milford Haven, 5405 ac., and 479
tidal water and foreshore, pop. 933. In the vil. is an
ancient and very beautiful cross, 14 ft. high, supposed
to be of Saxon or Danish origin; the ruins of Carew
Castle are in the vicinity.
Carey, hamlet, 6^ miles N. of Ross, S. Herefordshire.
Carey. See Cary.
Careys Cross, 3 m. from Bandon, S. co. Cork; P.O.
Carfan. See Prise and Carpan.
Carlin, mining vil., Bothwell par., NE. Lanarkshire,
2 miles NE. of Motherwell, pop. 1428; P.O.; on the
South Calder Water, | mile S., is Carlin House.
Carfrae Mill, hamlet with inn, Channelkirk par.,
W. Berwickshire, 51? miles NW. of Lauder.
Carfnry, hamlet, Gulval par., AV. Cornwall, 1 mile
NE. of Penzance.
CargcHey, hamlet, Altarnon par., E. Cornwall, 5
miles SW. of Launceston.
Cargen, rivulet, E. Kirkcudbrightshire, flowing 7
miles NE. and SE. to the Nith, 21? m. S. of Dumfries.
Cargen Bridge, hamlet, on Cargen Pow, E. Kirk-
cudbrightshire, 11? mile SW. of Dumfries.
Cargenholm, seat, E. Kirkcudbrightshire, on Cargen
Water, 2\ miles SW. of Dumfries.
Cargliadonn, ancient fortification, on coast of Whit-
horn par., Wigtownshire.
Cargill, par. and vil. with ry. sta., E. Perthshire, on
river Tay, 4 miles SW. of Coupar-Angus, 9626 ac.
(131 water), pop. 1348.
Cargin, par., N. co. Galway, on Lough Corrib, 2
miles SW. of Headford, 2866 ac., pop. 692.
Cargo, township, Stanwix par., E. Cumberland, on
river Eden, 3 miles NW. of Carlisle.
Cargo Fleet, or Cleveland Port, ham. with ry. sta.
(Cargo Fleet), 7 m. NW. of Guisborough, W.-R. Yorksh.
Cargreen, vil., on river Tamar, E. Cornwall, 4 miles
N. of Saltash ry. sta.
Carhain, par. and vil. withry. sta., N. Northumber-
land, near boundary with Scotland, and on river
Tweed, 6 miles SW. of Cornhill, 10,712 ac. (104 water),
pop. 1125; the vil. is 1 mile N. of sta.
Carhampton.—hundred, W. Somerset, 60,350 ac.,
pop. 7790; contains 16 pars.—2. Carhampton, coast
par. and vil., W. Somerset, 4 miles W. of Watchet,
5724 ac. (525 water), pop. 645; P.O.
Carhan, ruined mansion, near Cahersiveen, W. co.
Kerry; the birthplace of Daniel OConnell (1775-1847).
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)